Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner  (Read 151039 times)

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »

Awesome!  :-))

I don't know about "pep talk", but there are times when we need to "step back" and not focus on our own shortcuts and faults. See the whole thing afresh, you know?

This boat looks simply fantastic. You are getting there.

As to the Dreadnought, she lurks in the attic, and everytime I go up there (which is surprisingly often!) I tell her "she's next" after Racundra. But - blimey - after a year "off her", her decks and the work done so far do look better than I remember.

Keep this up!

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

rmaddock

« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2012, 11:18:56 pm »

Issy has been hosting the local ladies drinking reading club evening here tonight. So, I have been relegated to the bedroom...which just happens to be where my modelling stuff is  :-))

I quick trip out this morning found me the owner of a large number of rather crude lolly sticks. I don :-))'t mind the crude though as that's the look I'm after.  So now, after several hours, my back aches but I have planked the benches.

It's not perfectly to scale but I'm very pleased with the results. Once they're varnished it'll be super.  :}

Here's Jemima inspecting the works.

The only problem is that everything is becoming a very tight fit in there. My plan to be able to (dis)assemble everything easily is getting shaky.

rmaddock

« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2012, 01:13:09 pm »

Because I'm scared of actually starting in on the sail servos etc  :embarrassed: I'm doing lots of fiddly detailing instead.

So today, whilst not making my fortune on fleaBay, I've been making some of the cockpit controls. I've half done a set of switches on one side and have done the throttle lever shown below; all whittled from ply and cocktail sticks. {-) This side still needs an instrument panel and a single push button too. It's quite crude but I'm happy with the fake screw heads. I hammered the indents with an old allen key before turning it to a round, and then made the slots with a tiny screw-driver that we got from a Christmas cracker  :-))

rmaddock

« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2012, 02:26:44 pm »

Okay, okay!  <*<  I've moved back to the serious stuff again. I am tackling the winches.  :-))

Well, the foresail ones anyway....the others are still being "thought about".  :embarrassed:

So, I have created...with my own hands...a pair of "trays" that will slot in under the foredeck:

Right now, they are simply balanced in place and braced with a piece of wood and some pegs.  Later, they will be properly held in using magic.  %%  The idea is that they will be removable. Not easily though. The mast will have to be taken down and all the interior removed but they will then fit through the cockpit should any repairs be required.

As you can see, the port side fore-sail winch is in place. I've made a closed loop system running up into the bows:

The travel's not huge but should be enough....I hope  %)

There'll be a second such winch on t'other side and the mainsheet setup will go underneath somewhere. Following the "other" conversation, I'm favouring using a larger diameter disc on the servo and running the closed loop along the full length of the bottom of the hull.....I left that clear for just this purpose. 8)  I shall also mount much of the elec-trickery underneath these trays.

I'm beginning to sympathise with the submarine Johnnies trying to squeeze everything in. Next project? Something with no cockpit....perhaps one of those nice, modern warships that's all superstructure and internal space?  {-)

rmaddock

« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2012, 05:35:48 pm »

"NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........................."

That's not going to be anything like enough travel.  <:(  Time to think again.....and old aluminium arrows are springing to mind. Bend one of those and and the knot could go right through and down the other side and you'd get twice the travel.

Anyway. Meanwhile I thought I'd have a go at whittling some chainplates from brass.  This is the first effort:

And, in my humble opinion, it's pretty good  :-))  I just need to figure out how to put the kink into it half way down.  %%  Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
FYI, this is a picture of the real chainplates. I've made mine slightly wide to be true scale but they are a working part and will have to take real strain. Do people think that 6mm x .3mm will do? Personally I think my brazing will fail before the brass.

dlancast

« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2012, 09:38:16 pm »

Sir,

Really enjoying this build and your attention to detail.  You inspire me... who knows, some day I just might build me a sailing model.  Looks like a ton of fun.

Regards,

Dennis

nhp651

« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2012, 10:50:44 pm »

"NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........................."

That's not going to be anything like enough travel.  <:(  Time to think again.....and old aluminium arrows are springing to mind. Bend one of those and and the knot could go right through and down the other side and you'd get twice the travel.

Anyway. Meanwhile I thought I'd have a go at whittling some chainplates from brass.  This is the first effort:

And, in my humble opinion, it's pretty good  :-))  I just need to figure out how to put the kink into it half way down.  %%  Any suggestions will be gratefully received.
FYI, this is a picture of the real chainplates. I've made mine slightly wide to be true scale but they are a working part and will have to take real strain. Do people think that 6mm x .3mm will do? Personally I think my brazing will fail before the brass.

I think you've done a super job there, and seeing what thelads use down Fleetwood lake..that brass will take the strain quite easily.
neil.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2012, 09:05:22 am »

Those chainplates and brazing will stand more load that you may think. Of course, you could always make another for destructive testing, just to put your mind at rest.

When I built my full size clinker dinghy, the glue that was recommended was advertised as giving joint strength greater than the surrounding wood. Cynical? Moi? So, I made up a test joint, allowed plenty of time for full strength, placed it on two bricks and drove the car over it.

They were right! The joint was unbroken, the rest of the wood was a plie of splinters!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

rmaddock

« Reply #133 on: March 13, 2012, 07:09:33 pm »

Thanks for the moral support chaps!
I must admit that I'm struggling with this model just at the moment. I'm having one of those go-slow periods where I can't find the way forwards.
Hey ho.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2012, 08:03:41 pm »

Well it's been a good build to follow so far.
Maybe you're just not drinking enough.
It sounds like a two bottles of Red problem to me O0 :}
You'll get there.

Dave

rmaddock

« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2012, 08:07:21 pm »

It sounds like a two bottles of Red problem to me O0 :}

:-)) Dave, you sound like my sort of man!....in an entirely manly way, of course  {-)

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2012, 03:09:40 pm »

In the spirit of ignoring the stuff I can't do right now, I've been fitting some chainplates:

They're okay, but I'm not overly impressed with my handy-work.  The plan is to fill the screw heads and file them smooth to look like the bolt heads on the original. Then it all needs to be painted up in aluminium......or some such. I mocked up a small length of deck to try and get the hight right.  I got it half right  :embarrassed: The screws go through clearance holes in the plates and hull and then into chunks of ply on the inside.  I've angled the plates for standing rigging coming down from scale height hounds.

What I'm really doing is trying to sort all of the things that need doing before the deck goes on. These are part of it, the bollards/posts will be next.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2012, 03:43:02 pm »

I've got a matching pair on the other side too now!  O0

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Utility bollards
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2012, 02:19:03 pm »

This morning, because the sun was shining so beautifully, I closeted myself away in my dad's garage with his table saw.  Not long after that, what I think was probably an old "utility" table (and was certainly broken) has turned into some handy strips of very well aged oak.  O0  All in the various sizes that just happen to match my modelling needs.  :}

My first effort from this source has been a deck bollard...is that the correct term do you think?

This photo does not do my craftsmanship  :P justice.  The wood has actually been carved to match the original boat...see the thumbnail below.  It's shown here in-situ with the ply underdeck and a bit of false edging for size. Once painted off-white I think they'll look good. The bottom in set straight into the 8mm ply sub-foredeck which is epoxied into the bows so should be solid enough.  Not that this one will take any weight, but another two (one larger) will have to support the back of the bowsprit.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2012, 03:24:08 pm »

Ah, found you again after the meltdown
Good idea using scrap furniture - but I can usually never tell one wood type from another.
Looking forward to seeing more from you (is that a new avatar?)

Dave

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2012, 03:46:17 pm »

Hello Dave,
Yes, new avatar....just to confuse you! It's a chap called Peter [mumble].....can't remember his name right now. He was the first owner of the hearts of oak.
I'm no expert on wood but I think this is oak. It's certainly very hard....it's going to have an authentic finish to it  :embarrassed: I can well see why carpenters never did complex carving in oak.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2012, 07:29:36 pm »

: I can well see why carpenters never did complex carving in oak.

I don't think those that carved Kings College, Cambridge ceilings and cloisters would quite see it that way, Rob.......some of the finest and sharpest carving in the world are done in English Oak, %% %% %%

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2012, 08:18:15 pm »

Yes Neil, I am aware of that having once been a chorister in Cartmel Priory. Oak does carve very "sharply" but that tends to be what they do with it....sharp. My understanding is that it's not the material of choice for, say, a bas-relief carving......but I'm prepared to be corrected  <*<

What I do know is that this wood laughs in the face of sand paper.  I may have to get my scrapers out  :o

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2012, 08:51:15 pm »

no matey......you are quite right.........I was just having a larrrffff.

However, the older the oak gets the harder it becomes, unlike most other timbers which soften up with age., and if it's off some old furniture, it'll be a ripe old age now, neil. :-))

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: March 28, 2012, 09:20:29 pm »

Whilst at Cartmel they rebuilt the bell tower innards. Part of the job involved removing the original oak beams and replacing them with steel (later seen to be a major mistake). We "volunteered" to help carry the beams out of the church. They were about 1 1/2' square and 20' long; ten adult men could barely lift them. The weight was fantastic.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
"Whittle while you work.........der, de dum dum, der, de deeeeee!"
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2012, 01:13:23 pm »

More whittling! I've stopped messing about with the Stanley knife and broken out my Grandad's chisels and gouges. Much better  :D

These central pair are what hold the back of the bowsprit in place.  For all the massiveness of the timbers, there will be two quite small brackets on them through which a steel pin will pass.  I've tried to recreate the angle in the two pictures but I don't suppose it'll work.....distortion due to range variation 'n' all that  %%

I can't help feeling that my woodwork looks too chunky.  {:-{

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2012, 09:08:51 pm »

I think you've got it spot on Rob.perfect in fact.
neil.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2012, 11:05:32 pm »

I think
But we know that Neil has a high temperature today and is full of drugs. %%

It will look perfect when painted up.

Dave

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2012, 10:26:19 am »

Thanks chaps! For future reference I'm more than willing to accept drug induced complements. :embarrassed:

I had sort of reached the colour conclusion myself. The colours now make it look different.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Fife Rail
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2012, 12:37:29 pm »

I've now whittled the fife rail.  :-))

Once the deck's in place I shall be wedging the crosspiece into place...real woodwork!  %%

The dining room floor's beginning to look very ethnic.  :embarrassed:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.