Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner  (Read 151021 times)

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
WoW! It's a Prawner!
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2012, 01:49:28 pm »

WoW!....as the yoof of today are want to say.
I caught a glimpse of the nobby out of the corner of my eye just now and suddenly felt I had to cobble everything together for a look and......

IT'S A PRAWNER!!!!!!!!!  :o :o :o :o :o  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2012, 05:28:34 pm »

It certainly is!  :-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2012, 05:37:16 pm »

Is my brain going, or has the forum moderated my use of initials. In the previous post I most definitely used, twice, a three letter term beggining with the same letters as "orange marinaded goose". What it now says is Wow?
And all I was trying to do was be a little street and hip  {-)

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2012, 07:05:33 pm »

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2012, 07:16:10 pm »

Yep ssA comes out as "bottom" - perfectly good english word

I'm editing now to say I didn't put bottom.

So for example you can't come down the hill on an ssA but you can on an bottom - which is a nonsense.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Fairleads
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2012, 05:59:16 pm »

Right!  :D

I've (just about) got my head round the sheeting arrangements now. I'm waiting for Pj Sails to let me order some deck blocks but it seems quite slow. Anyway, I feel confident enough to fit some fairleads into her.

These are the first two. Made from brake pipe, they'll be cut off flat level with the deck planking once it's done.  The rectangle at the bases mark the position of the wooden fairleads ont he real boat.  I might make them a little wider than scale but, whatever, they'll cover up the end of the copper tube.  I'm hoping that it'll not be too obvious that the sheets are coming up from below decks.  You can see where the second set of sheets will be further forward next to the holes already cut for the deck-lights.  I'm currently gluing extra woodwork under there to support the piping.

It's exciting!  :D O0 :embarrassed: %%  I'm struggling to stop myself gluing everything together now and regretting it later.  >>:-(

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Tiller
« Reply #156 on: April 05, 2012, 03:46:10 pm »

I've been brazing again  :D

I've tried to make the tiller iron:

The wood here is just any old piece but is the correct length.  The ironwork isn't the perfect shape; the real one is more square but I'm working from round pieces. A bit of filing should make it better though.  The top of the rubber post slips over the inner working with a bayonet fitting so can be removed.

There's a little video of it all waving about too:

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2012, 04:39:43 pm »

Looks good, nice 'royal' wave as well.

Get a nice shape carved into that tiller arm and it will be the dogs danglies.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2012, 05:51:55 pm »

Get a nice shape carved into that tiller arm and it will be the dogs danglies.

Something like this, Ian?

:-))
I'm loving this recycled oak.  O0

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Cor! Look at the drums on that!
« Reply #159 on: April 10, 2012, 03:09:10 pm »

I'm finally biting the proverbial and fitting some winches. These are the foresail winches; starboard and larboard.  8)

They're mounted so that they screw to the rails from the back...so, I'll be able to drop them out for repairs once the deck's in place. That's the theory anyway.  The drum's are just below the level of the deck and the closed loops will run under the deck to almost the back of the cockpit.

Having cobbled it together, I realise that I'm going to have to do something to route the jib sheets around the winches and to the through-deck fairleads. Maybe a little pulley on the hull side or a bit more pipe. Not an insurmountable problem though.  The third winch needs to go lower down in the middle. The sheeting will have to go round either side of the mast and all the way along the boat under the floor. I've figured out that if I put a pulley right up on the stem then I should get just about enough sheet travel.  I might need a bigger drum or I might go with one of Action Man's servo jiggery-pockery things to increase the travel.

Through the planning of this build, I've been concious of how a lot of the additional weight is going in forward of the CofG.  What batteries I include will probably go in two matched packs under the benches down the sides so they shouldn't be too bad. However, I'd be amazed if I don't end up having to cut some lead out of the front and shoe-horn it into the back before this saga's over.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2012, 10:58:23 am »

I got a packet from the US of A this morning.  :-))

Bought from Long Beach RC via fleaBay. It was a bit of a punt ordering from so far afield but I was annoyed at the local costs and lack of internet ordering so, sorry if you're offended by my not supporting local business.  :P
Anyway, they seem lovely and came very quickly and he even refunded some of the P&P too.  :D
As you can see, more Heath Robinson-esque plumbing work has been going on. All three winches are nominally in place and I just need to sort the sheeting out.
I wish I'd ordered more block and tackle now.
TTFN.
Robert.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2012, 12:31:35 pm »

Something like this, Ian?

:-))
I'm loving this recycled oak.  O0

Thats just the jobbie - very nice

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2012, 01:49:23 pm »

Thanks Ian.

People often come on this forum and ask how you connect up winches so here's a little video of how one of mine has been installed.

http://youtu.be/wKu33Wkgmlk

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #163 on: April 14, 2012, 02:49:22 pm »

Very good! I hope the stuntman got paid!  :-))

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2012, 06:41:36 pm »

Very good! I hope the stuntman got paid!  :-))

He gets board and lodging. Anything else would be spoiling him  :police:

I had a gratifying day today.  There was a meeting of the trust that owns the real Hearts of Oak this afternoon.  I thought it an occasion to cobble together as much as I could and take the model down to show them.

I taped on all the decks and jury-rigged mast, boom and bowsprit in approximate proportion. I also added a bit of string rigging....just to get the idea. Anyway, they loved it. Thought it was fantastic. Said all the right things. I'm not at all dis-chuffed with it's reception. I now have a special request that the model attend the 100th birthday celebrations in June on Peel Island.....so no pressure to get on with it!  The other good thing about today is that I now know that the boat fits into the car fully rigged.  :-))

PS, do you like the thoughtful way that Skoda added a hook to the boot specifically for hanging my transmitter case from?  O0

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Compromise.
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2012, 03:44:13 pm »

I'm loosing the will to do this entirely properly and I'm getting increasingly desperate to see this boat on the water so I'm cobbling the sheeting system together as quickly as I can.

The main sheet is now in place. The travel is probably rather limited and I may never be able to run really well but, then again, I've read that these old gaff boats weren't often run anyway. The rig would tend to induce an uncomfortable wallowing roll on a run so they normally stuck with a broad reach. That sounds like a good excuse to me! I shall stick to it!  O0

So, under the foredeck we have the winch (the left hand one as seen here). A pair of copper pipes route the sheet loop down to the level of the lead ballast.  I intentionally left this area completely clear so that the sheets can run under the floors.  You can also see the main sheet coming off the winch loop down there.

Astern, there's a single block to hold the winch loop. It's held on the string tied around the copper tube and is out of site below the motor in this shot.
The main sheet itself goes through that self same pipe. You can just see the flared end at the bottom of the alien-esque slump of epoxy. It's routed up to deck level and emerges just behind the wooden bollard. Again, I'm hoping to hide it under a coil of rope - or some such. From there it'll go to a block on the runner on the counter top and thence to the boom.

I'm sure the friction is awful and it'll last less than 10 minutes but I don't care.  :embarrassed:  I'll just motor around the lake like many real size yacht owners do anyway.  >>:-(

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2012, 04:27:54 pm »

Damn!  >>:-(

I've just dipped my varnish brush in my mug of coffee!  <:(

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2012, 04:33:55 pm »

What tastes better?
Varnish or Coffee?

Fight !!!
 %% %%
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2012, 04:37:53 pm »

I have to admit that the varnish rather put me off the coffee.....so I made some more! Hooray! Gotta feed the habit.  :embarrassed:

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2012, 08:23:14 pm »

Following Ian's advice on the availability of "saddle" battery packs, made to order, from the lovely chaps at Component Shop, I've started planning around two 6v packs wired together in two halves as a 12v pack.

Clear as mud? Good.

In this picture, I've placed a mock-up of a standard 6v NIMH battery pack (the white cardboard box). I'm pleased to say it fits beautifully under the side benches.  This will also bring the weight well aft...something I was concerned to do.

So, now I only have to work out just how much juice I need....or perhaps just buy the largest capacity batteries that I can!  {-)

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2012, 11:34:04 am »

Scrap the previous thoughts.

It's just been pointed out to me that the winches need to run on 6v, not 12v! Duh!  :embarrassed: At least I found out now.

So, one 12v battery and one 6v battery are the order of the day.

I've just performed a test tank power consumption test. The results are that the motor draws slightly below 1.4A at full throttle in either direction when in the water.  Based on that, I don't need a terribly huge and expensive battery to get a decent running time from the motor...the amounts used by the rest of the Rc system will be negligible since the winches will have their own supply.

What I also noticed is that she is getting heavy.  Nobby's seem to sit at a slightly bows high angle normally so I think that taking some lead out of the bows before the decks go on might be the order of the day.

The third thing (no, this isn't the Spanish Inquisition) is that she so wants to be out on the water! The bath was not big enough. She's alive and wants to run free on a lake!  O0

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2012, 03:46:55 pm »

The third thing (no, this isn't the Spanish Inquisition)

Now that would be fun - having to produce your build logs in a Monty Python Theme :}

Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this ESC what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the  Blue Chinese ESC ...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'ESC's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Mr. Praline: All right then, if ESC's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Blue Chinese ESC ! I've got a lovely fresh Lipo pack for you

Dave %)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2012, 04:12:31 pm »

Can I have some of whatever Dave is on?  {-)

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: April 25, 2012, 05:38:56 pm »

{-) {-) %% %% %% %%

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #174 on: April 25, 2012, 05:41:08 pm »

Railway Tea ????

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.