Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner  (Read 151034 times)

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner
« Reply #375 on: January 05, 2013, 11:23:04 am »

Ahhhhh.

Wise and calming words from the Bard of Caernarfon.  :D

dcmccubbin

« Reply #376 on: January 24, 2013, 12:19:41 pm »

Greetings - I came across your forum while looking for help rebuilding the model I have. It was built by my Great-Grandfather about 1883 in Annan. That's a beautiful boat that your working on.
I'm trying to figure out the details to get the sails and rigging for the model I have. Your post number 351 on 12/24/2012 cought my attention. I'm thinking the page from "The Lancashire Nobby" that your notes for your sails is sitting on may be a big help. It looks like the title of the page is "Sail Plan for a 31 Ft Annan Trawl Boat (a Solway Nobby) c. 1897.  Would it be possible for you to post a picture of that page? 

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #377 on: February 07, 2013, 03:01:37 pm »

I saw this in Conwy today and I thought of you. She's the "Helen II". Looks like a complete piece by piece rebuild.
Jerry.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #378 on: February 07, 2013, 04:10:54 pm »

I saw this in Conwy today and I thought of you. She's the "Helen II". Looks like a complete piece by piece rebuild.
Jerry.

Nice!  I saw a couple in the sea 'round North Wales but not this one.  Why have you posted the picture upside down?

Progress here has slowed almost to a stand-still as I'm pouring my efforts into building a new canoe right now - full size, giant model building!

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #379 on: February 07, 2013, 04:59:54 pm »

It's not upside down. The grey planks are the old originals. They've replaced the keel assembly complete, then they replace the timbers and finally replace the planks. That way they keep the shape and end up with a new boat. The council's paying I think.
Jerry.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #380 on: February 07, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »

It's not upside down.
Jerry.

Hmm, the sky is upwards where I live.. :-)) ..
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #381 on: February 07, 2013, 06:03:22 pm »

You've got me puzzled now. This is a screen shot of my page. Is yours different. My keel on the bottom.
Jerry.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #382 on: February 07, 2013, 06:19:50 pm »

Did you select 'Antipodean' before posting  O0   O0   O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #383 on: February 07, 2013, 10:20:43 pm »

I am in Australia - looks  OK to me (grin)
Amateur at work...

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #384 on: February 08, 2013, 09:29:06 am »

The plot thickens!  This is my screen shot...

%%

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #385 on: February 08, 2013, 09:46:39 am »

How very strange! How many other pics on here are inverted? It might explain some of the confusion and strange replies seen on here. I've probably mentioned on this thread earlier but just in case, I used to sail on a nobby out of Pwllheli called "Nancy". She was converted for cruising with a coach roof. She had an 18 bhp Petter twin diesel mounted on the center line driving a wing screw on the starboard quarter via 5 linked belts acting as reduction gear. She carried a tops'le but there was only one guy available with the experience to set it so not used very often. She looked great when all sail set.
Jerry.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #386 on: February 08, 2013, 10:24:26 am »

Might be ok in the Southern Hemisphere, but at 53.33' North in both East and West Hemispheres it be assupwards  %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #387 on: February 08, 2013, 10:50:58 am »

is upside down in NZ, as well   :-))
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #388 on: February 08, 2013, 11:15:30 am »

Upside down here too  %)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #389 on: February 08, 2013, 11:24:56 am »

And in Fleetwood where we used to build 'em, sometimes upside down tooo %% %% %% %%

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #390 on: February 08, 2013, 11:42:19 am »

We haven't all slipped into the Twilight Zone, have we?   :o

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #391 on: February 08, 2013, 02:24:00 pm »

I think we should meet up and chat about it over a pint  O0
Just having a problem deciding where would be central to us all?

Dave

Stavros

« Reply #392 on: February 08, 2013, 10:10:19 pm »

How very strange! How many other pics on here are inverted? It might explain some of the confusion and strange replies seen on here. I've probably mentioned on this thread earlier but just in case, I used to sail on a nobby out of Pwllheli called "Nancy". She was converted for cruising with a coach roof. She had an 18 bhp Petter twin diesel mounted on the center line driving a wing screw on the starboard quarter via 5 linked belts acting as reduction gear. She carried a tops'le but there was only one guy available with the experience to set it so not used very often. She looked great when all sail set.
Jerry.

Jerry can you remeber if Nancy was registered Co 123 asa Grandfather has a Nobby and was called Shrimp Girl, I am just wondering if she has been renamed .It was defo in the 70's as I used to go lobster fishing with him on her,and rember well sailing down towards Butlins camp with him and my parents under Full sail....HAPPY DAYS indeed

Dave

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2013, 11:27:00 pm »

Stav, this was late 50s early 60s she wasn't registered as a fishing vessel but previously would have been CO. she was owned by Peter and Joyce Chadwick. Peter is famous for getting his hand caught in the belts and ripping all the fingers off. My dad wrapped his hand in a tea towel and put the fingers in a packet of frozen peas and drove him to Bryn Beryl. The little one was missing so while the doc sewed his fingers back on dad rushed back to the boat to look for the pinky only to find Suzy the Jack Russell licking her lips and looking sheepish so he lost that one. Miraculously the operation was a success and he regained the use of his replaced fingers over the next few months.
Jerry.

Stavros

« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2013, 11:34:54 pm »

Thanks Jerry Now why do the Chadwicks Names ring a bell with me.....I can reacall Grandfather (William Gould) who used to be a Cox of the Pwllheli Lifeboat recalling a story of the fingers as if he was here now and I wasnt to go...in HIS WORDS.....RUDDY NEAR THE ENGINE

Dave

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
Adventures in Sail Making
« Reply #395 on: June 26, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »

Hello All!

I'm back!

I've started sailmaking  :o   Probably not very well but, hey ho!

I'm using straightforward cotton sheeting and cotton thread.  The fabric's been dyed what look a reasonable colour and I've started sowing false seams onto the mainsail.  My reading tells me that traditional English sail panels were 24" wide.  At my scale, and allowing for seams, that's as close to 60mm as makes no difference.  So, 60mm they are.

For once, the sewing machine's cooperating.  It's not the best stitching but I'm pleased enough for a first attempt.  Yes, I know that  the stitching should also be coloured. Tough!  Anyway, it looks rather smart like this.

Next, I'm working on the hems at the edges.  I've allowed for a 4mm hem - far too big for scale but realistically achievable.  I've found that I can press an edge in against my long metal ruler using the iron.  It makes the hemming slightly less fiddly.  Then I've sown and overlocked the hems....well hem.  I've only done one so far.

I had to make the sails at this point as I need to fettle all the rigging and tackle and I need something to hold all of that in place  O0

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #396 on: February 04, 2014, 07:11:18 pm »

Goodness, my build log has dropped of the first page  :o   Time I got on with it  <*<

The delay has been down partly to my spending time building a canoe and partly to my foolishly having caught a job...as a primary school teacher.  It's taking up rather a lot of my time but I decided that I must squeeze some modelling in somewhere to keep myself sane.

So, I have progressed a bit with the sails.  I managed to get a device for installing ridiculously small eyelets and have employed it on the mainsail to not un-pleasing effect.

It's now bent onto the gaff and mast in a scale manner...although the gear for attaching the ends of lines isn't there yet so there are a few ugly knots.  The sail looks much better now that it's stretched out properly.

If I could just sort making the jib and stay sail I'd be in business.....except for all the other jobs.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #397 on: February 04, 2014, 08:43:37 pm »

Overlocking! Now there's posh for you isn't it boyo. Welcome back matey. Work is the curse of the modelling classes. When you coming by yer then?
Jerry.

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #398 on: February 04, 2014, 10:55:13 pm »

Looking good

" a device for installing ridiculously small eyelets " .  .  .  . do please explain!

Its a problem I've come up against with  my cutter

Cheers longshanks

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #399 on: February 05, 2014, 02:07:55 pm »

" a device for installing ridiculously small eyelets " .  .  .  . do please explain!

I got a set of these: http://www.fiskars.co.uk/Crafting-Sewing/Products/Punches/Eyelet-Setter/3133-Eyelet-Setter-Pack

I ordered them from somewhere across the pond via a certain auction site...much, much cheaper than buying locally.  I've only tried out the 1/16th one yet but it seems to work very nicely.

I think the eyelets are too fine for the cloth I'm using though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.