Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner  (Read 151025 times)

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
Re: Nobby - Morecambe Bay Prawner
« Reply #400 on: February 08, 2014, 11:45:20 am »

Nice to see the build progressing again and look forward to seeing more of it.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2014, 04:11:39 pm »

This week I am mostly......

.....sewing bolt rope onto a stay sail.

This is not the most gripping of tasks but is a constant reminder of how my eyesight is no longer what it was. <:(

I've had a problem with the sails in that they stretch when I've been machining the hems.  This has lead to me having to try and scrunch them up again as I attach the bolt rope - hence the safety pins and lines of running stitch.  Not the most elegant effect.

I'm giving the DIY sails a proper go though before throwing in the towel and letting somebody professional make them for me.

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #402 on: February 22, 2014, 07:53:26 pm »

Boltropes!

I know that horror.

What I did for Racundra's boltropes was to gently stretch the sail (using two clamps) "beyond" the edge of a piece of wood. I then stretched the boltrope gently taut so that it lay next to the hem. And then sewed about a foot at a time.

The end result? Boltropes firmly attached to the hems, and no tendency for either the sail or rope to pinch the other.

But it is a frustrating task, I grant you.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #403 on: February 23, 2014, 11:01:33 am »

Andy, That sounds an interesting idea.  However, the amount of stretch in my ropes seems very little compared to the amount in the fabric.  I'm not sure I could stretch the rope far enough.

The next time I make any (ha!) I'll try using thin strips of bias binding along the edges before sewing. Next time  %%

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2014, 01:09:47 pm »

I've got all this to come on my build :embarrassed: Maybe I should defer to she who must be obeyed and let her do the stitching :-)) Keep us updated on how the sewing goes!

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #405 on: February 23, 2014, 01:22:35 pm »

Suggest, when you sew the hems use short length, narrow width zigzag stitch. Let the machine feed the material while you guide it. Don't hold back on the material, just steer it. Take it slow, it's much quicker than hand sewing. Finally pre-stretch the bolt ropes for a couple of days by hanging them from the ceiling with a weight on the bottom. There is a stitch on most machines that sends one stitch wider than the rest which if used with a special foot will guide material and rope and can be set to pick up the rope every few stitches. Because they both go through the machine together they both pick up the same stretch. Takes a bit of practice though.  Love the colour.
Jerry.

rmaddock

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #406 on: February 23, 2014, 04:37:40 pm »

Thanks for the pointers Jerry.  Unfortunately, the problem occurred earlier, at the folding and pressing of the hems stage.  They were already stretched by the time the sewing machine was brought too bear......and I did use a machine. I'm not a total nutter.  O0 %%
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.