Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: plans  (Read 2468 times)

bilko

plans
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:04:09 pm »

hi wondering if anyone can help got a set of very small plans/body lines and wondering if anyone knew the best way to scale these up if its possible thanks guys

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: plans
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 05:11:27 pm »

A copy shop is usually the best bet depending on how big the finished model is going to be.

Colin

bilko

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:27:14 pm »

Thanks colin i will look into that was hoping maybe 1:75 or :150 scale thanks

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:35:56 pm »

What the copy shop can do will depend on the size of paper their machines can handle. Architectural drawings can be quite large so a if they can print these they should be able to handle most model boats. You don't say what the original vessel is and low long, but there is obviously quite a bit of difference between 150th and 1:75th scale!

I am building a liner model at 1:150th scale and it is 42 inches long. At 1:75th it would be seven feet long - over 2 meters and that would be a very big boat!

Colin

wartsilaone

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:44:56 pm »

I went to a place that makes posters for bill boards, but Tesco do banners at some stores. All you have to do is scan it in or stick a SD card in then come back later.

Ali.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 07:54:10 pm »

Yes, but how can you be sure that they will scale up to the accuracy required? It's not always easy to get it right.

Colin

bilko

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 08:01:58 pm »

hi lads i meant 1:50 or 1:75 sory about that the ship is about 80 to 90 mtrs long so quiet a reasonable size but the drawings came from a website and are very small

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:56:41 pm »

Do be careful when scaling up by "loads". The lines get fatter, and any distortions get worse.

The approach I took with my HMS Dreadnought (the model at 1/72nd, some lines plans at 1/384th) was to re-draw the plan, sections and elevation from known data - lengths I had figures for, and frame distances that I could calculate. I then faired the lines and major components on a new plan at 1/72nd scale.

Seemed to work ok.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.