Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RRS "Discovery"  (Read 2759 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
RRS "Discovery"
« on: March 03, 2007, 12:01:44 pm »

Lets hope I have'nt forgotten how to do this...24 hours is a stretch of the attention span these days!
Discovery is built at 1:48 which comes out at around 5.5 ft long and 3ft tall. Again, the whole deck lifts off and it is powered by a "Metro" rear wiper motor. (They are nice and "flat"). Sorry about the broken "striker" chain. I broke it.
The boats are all carvel and only took about half an hour to produce the hulls in my little homemade vac. forming machine.
I had never built a sailing ship before and so I used Underhills "Masting and Rigging". No proper plans are available (as far as I know) for her "as built", however, Model Shipwright said that the Airfix kit was as accurate as anything so I bought that and increased all the bits and pieces x 3. I must be mad. The hull is as always of fibreglass and as she has a wooden hull
except for the heavy plate around the bows I used old fashioned brown gummed paper strip on the plu to simulate the planking. The slight coarseness of the strip makes for a very realistic "grain". Weight "all up" about 35lb. One of my "little
ones".
Notes from a simple seaman

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RRS "Discovery"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 04:47:38 pm »

Once again Bryan, beautifull.  You would definately need a trailer to get this one around but she must look amazing on the water.

My steam coaster comes in at 32 lbs and I have never considered it as "little" and being a steamer she has to go into the water ready.  One day she will give me a hernia!!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

romainpek

Re: RRS "Discovery"
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:21:28 am »

Your pictures are great, what a nice ship !

Does it uses sails too ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.