Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lossiemouth Trawler 'Sheila' - anyone know this boat / plan?  (Read 5608 times)

Glen Howard

Hello all, I have amongst my stack of plans a lovely four-sheet set of plans for the above vessel, which I bought from myhobbystore.com a few years ago.

I'm going to have a crack at this boat for my next project, however I have not been able to find any photos of the actual vessel, or models of the vessel. This will become an issue for me when I start trying to tackle rigging and gantries, as the drawings on their own, and my total lack of knowledge of the subject matter, mean I really don't know what I don't know.

So - anybody out there able to assist with photos of models / actual Scottish trawlers such as this one? Deck and working gear details inparticular most welcome.

Roadrunner

Re: Lossiemouth Trawler 'Sheila' - anyone know this boat / plan?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:52:49 am »

Did you check shipnostalgia ?

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/

I've yet to not find a ship i was looking for on there.

Glen Howard

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:53:43 pm »

Thanks Roadrunner - good site. Sadly I may be the first person to not find the ship I was looking for. It is possible I suppose that the ship does not exist, and that it is just a model plan. Don't know, maybe someone else knows more.

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:53:04 am »

Glen, what era does she come from and what size is the actual ship.

You can then pinpoint it down to what section it would come under for Lloyds register of shipping. either under or over 100 ( i think) tons, but it might be feet.

then you can go to Lloyds ship finder at either your local main library or Lloyds itself and see if a ship of that name was actually registered.
Usually if it was real it was registered for insurance properties.

see here   http://www.lr.org/about_us/shipping_information/faqs.aspx

This is what I like about the modelling game....the research that you put into it.

If it was a real ship, then you can go to the local newspapers of the area, ( ie Lossiemouth) and put in a request for old photos of her...people just love helping in this way. but the main thing is to assertain firstly that she actually existed.

are there any builders names on the plans, who drew them and such, they all give clues.

ps, what suberb of the great city do you live in. I spent two years based in Scullin when teaching at Campbell high school.

if you PM me a picture of the boat on the plan via my email address, i'll see what I can do.
neil.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 12:20:51 pm »

Is it the Nexus plan of a 38 X 11.5 fishing boat? Reg INS 123?
At the time the plan was drawn INS 123 was a larger traditional Scottish MFV named 'Flourish'

Could be artistic license on the part of the Draughtsman.
123 is a common enough number and his wife could have been Australian  :D

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 01:51:12 pm »

Try an email to the Tarlair MBC, they are near Lossiemouth and have a tradition of modelling fishing boats,old and modern. Another thought about the name, try variations like "Girl Sheila" , "Sheila Lass", "Lady Sheila" etc. Scottish Fedration of Model Boat Clubs might be a help too.
..well can you land on this?

Glen Howard

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 02:04:19 am »

Actually Ned - yes, this is exactly the vessel - INS 123, a Nexus plan. Well done, full marks. I'll upload a pic pf the plan for you - not sure how clear it will be, but it's the best I can do as it is a very large sheet. I'll look around under the name 'Flourish' and see if I can have more luck. If not, will pursue some of the ideas posted here, thanks all. What skilled researchers you are - ain't the innernet a wunnerful thing?

wbeedie

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:57:13 am »

Its a non existant vessel but if you look on the vintage galleries of trawlerphotos or trawlerpictures plenty boats of this ea and type

nhp651

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:29:55 am »

if you want some photos of a generic boat like the one in your plan, Glen, you can't go wrong with looking at Will Taylors model on this site.....it is absolutely stunning in every detail. the boat's name is "ALEXANDERS" and I don't think you would find a better model or likeness to your plan anywhere..just superb.

Although slightly modified with a whaleback on the bow, she is, basically what you are looking for.

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=48342&title=just-about-as-finished-as-she-27s-ever-going-to-be-&cat=855

hope this helps you.

neil.

Glen Howard

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 11:29:09 am »

Thanks Neil, yes Alexanders is beautiful, and those photos are absolutely perfect - more than I had hoped for actually, plenty of construction detail there too.

Thanks everyone for your quick and most informative responses to my call for help. I'll post the odd pic during construction (I estimate this will be a 2 year build, life being busy as it is. I may have to reconsider the name though, so I don't attract too many Australian jokes... ok2

Glen

nhp651

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 01:16:13 pm »

what part of Canberra do you hale from glen.

neil

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 05:20:55 pm »

Different boat completely Ned , same number thats all , if you look at the plan above the wheelhouse is different to the Flourish.

The plan is not of any individual boat as far as anyone has ever been able to find out just a generic fishing boat , a very good model once built though
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:28:23 pm »

I said earlier that it was a generic portrayal of scottish fishing vessel, Davie
I was just showing Glen where the photo of Flourish was as he was going to 'trawl'
the web for it.

Ned

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 11:35:08 am »

Hello, This vessel is very similar to "Launch Out" another Model boat plan. I have the impression that these fishing boats are all the same but different in small detail. Nemesis.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 08:11:19 pm »

Launch Out was a Pittenweem Boat

Ned

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 08:27:22 pm »

Hello, Agreed, it was willie woods boat of Pittenweem, there were 3 of the same name at different times. The point I was making is that whoever made the these vessels, whether it was Millars,  Jones, Eyemouth, Weatherall et all they were basically the same with slight differences, maybe more "belly" or slightly more "kick" up at the stern. All these designs can trace their heritage from the admiralty MFVs circa 1942. Nemesis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.