Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odam2k's Tug Rebuild  (Read 6156 times)

geids

• Full Mayhemer
Odam2k's Tug Rebuild
« on: June 14, 2011, 03:01:30 pm »

What the heck, I may as well start a thread :)

I have my tug all torn apart, ready for sanding, priming,and painting...   I am surprised that is was not just all glued together, you can get every piece apart without much difficulty.

I won't post a before pic, cause we all know what it looks like before.... but here are all the parts

If it ain't broke it ain't mine

geids

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Odam2k's Tug Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 04:25:10 pm »

One of my goals with this Tug is to drive it FPV, using an on board camera,transmitter, and sit on the shore with my Video Goggles on, and head out into the pond and explore.  I have tried pushing a disabled boat back to shore, but the perspective from the shore makes it hard to get lined up on the other boat, my depth perception is very poor at any more than a few feet away :(

I figure on mounting a pan/tilt swivel camera inside the wheelhouse if I can...  :-))

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 02:06:28 am »

Hull was primed, and now below the waterline, I have painted it the same color as the anti-fouling bottom paint I used to use on my full size sailboat... The green is painters masking tape, I masked off the hull above the water line.

That's my home made paint booth :)

The deck and wrap-around have been primed...

Still can't decide on the layout for the wheelhouse yet, so many great ideas on this site...  I did cut off all the protruding bases for the deck fittings on the after-deck, I will leave it uncluttered I think... (maybe?)

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:34:24 am »

Second coat of paint on the hull, and the wrap around is black...

The deck is hunter green...  hard to really see in this picture, it looks camouflaged...

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:11:05 pm »

Ok, the rest of the hull is painted, including the waterline stripe...

Here is a pic with the deck just sitting in top of the hull...

Dave13

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:52:48 pm »

Hi
She looks really nice I like the deck colour. A :-)) Are you planing to have working lights?
Dave:)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:25:40 pm »

That's a lovely paint job. Well done   :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:22 pm »

Thanks guys!

Yes, I would like to do a full scale lighting job on it, including working searchlight... controlled remotely....

I have to make sure it's not SO beautiful that I am afraid to take it to the pond  :D :D

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:27:46 pm »

This is my first "naval" project.  I started R/C with Helicopters 4 years ago, then picked up some planes too, and eventually cars, trucks, and finally, this year,a Monsoon sailboat. I decided I needed a rescue boat, and found this tug for sale locally. Well, as a rescue boat, I find it very difficult to line up on the other vessel and try to push it...  I have tried FPV with the airplanes, but found it to be too disorienting, and since I have all the gear, decided to make my tug boat FPV. in other words, drive it while wearing video goggles, seeing the perspective from the bridge of the tug.

Of course the first problem was the R/C gear, it had to go... Second,the motor and controller, which has now been replaced with a brush-less system...

Just thought I'd type this in while waiting for paint to dry :)

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 01:59:10 am »

Paint is dry :)

Again, just the parts piled together, nothing is really in place, but it gives me an idea of how it will look....

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:55:17 pm »

Time to start putting it back together...

The water ballast tank has had the lid removed, and the holes plugged, and the box half filled with copper  bb's held in place with Epoxy.
The whole front of the hull has been filled with shaped styrofoam blocks for floatation...

The cut out in the foam is for the LiPo battery pack.

I've put a spektrum AR7000 Receiver in it, with a satellite, and the Spektrum TM1000 telemetry unit. The telemetry unit is temporary until I start playing with FPV.  For now,I will use that to monitor battery status, water temp, and motor RPM. This will all be displayed on my DX8. The 7 channel rx will stay, I expect to need lots of extra channels  :-))

The ESC is also temporary, it is out of one of my cars, its the only one I had with reverse... I've ordered a marine ESC, but we have a postal strike going on at the moment here in Canada, so not sure when that will show up.

I replaced the dried up foam seal around the bottom edge of the deck, I just used the kind of foam you get in a postal package,,, cut a thin strip, and used "canopy glue" to hold it in place.

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 01:49:29 am »

Deck screwed back on, the wheelhouse is just sitting on the deck, not attached yet.  You can see my home made mast, it will have two white floodlights pointing down at the deck at the ends of the lower spreaders. The wheelhouse sides look pretty bare, but once I put the railings etc back on, it should be ok.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 08:29:10 am »

"Brushless Motor & Controller - Spektrum AR7000 Receiver  -  Spektrum TM1000 telemetry unit - FPV  - This will all be displayed on my DX8. "

:o   :o   :o   :o  This must be the most expensive Seaport Tug in history!  :o   :o   :o   :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 12:36:09 pm »

Lets hope it floats!

geids

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 11:23:28 am »

Did the float test in the laundry sink, and it sat right on the waterline :)

Today I hope to do sea trials (ok,pond trials)

Still have deck details to  add yet, lights, etc, but lets see how she runs first...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.