Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparison, New Brightons old and new Lakes  (Read 2852 times)

garston1

Comparison, New Brightons old and new Lakes
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:53:01 pm »

Photo's of New Brightons old lake compared to the new lake and the Multi million pound regeneration taking place. Which do you prefer?. Photos taken from a cherry picker. Click Pics to enlarge.

The long Build

Re: Comparison, New Brightons old and new Lakes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:20:34 pm »

Having seen both lakes I feel the original lake had more character, however the new set up looks a bit clynical, but with the work still ongoing its hard to say really as I'm sure it will look decent at the end of the day, and regardless of previous press , at least they have reinstated the sailing pond.

regiment

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 08:39:13 am »

perhaps its me but i like the first one

kinmel

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:11 am »

I don't like the old one, but only because 60 years, ago as a 5 year old, I fell in and had to be rescued by a passerby !

May be the new will grow on us in time

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:40:23 am »

It's a pity the nearest parking spaces are disabled only, unless you'rea disabled boater, of course

garston1

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:42:01 am »

yep! and there's plenty of em there frankie

raymond

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 03:03:46 pm »

Hi,
    I am biased prefer the old one,my whole interest in model boats and models in general started here I believe ,I have very happy memories of this place, in the late 40's and early 50's we used to travel up from Surrey to stay at my Grandmothers in Birkenhead during the school hols.one day my Dad bought an old secondhand toy  yacht in the big indoor market in Birkenhead,then managed to get another for my cousin,we spent many happy hours sailing on this pool.One model I remember seeing there was a very large or was to me then model of I think Queen Mary ,steam powered and fired by what looked to me like a modified parafine blow lamp, wonder if its still around.Had that old yacht many years and sailed it most weekends for hours on the ponds in our two local recreation grounds along with lots of other lads,many years later I took my son to these two ponds only to find they had been filled in ,told later it was for safety good grief they were only foot deep,those pics with the lighthouse and old fort in the background brought back many happy sentimental memories ,i bet the place has changed out of recognition now,is the open air swimming pool still along that part spent a lot of time in there as well
                   Cheers
                     Ray

dave301bounty

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:57:37 pm »

Well Franki ,you know me ,,talk about parking at that lake ,we went down there two weeks ago on a sailing day ,could,nt get in and the parking inside left a lot to be desired .however a photo was takenk by a councellor ,for reasons only he knows ,the offending car /s had the numbers noted ,quite a stupid way for supposed to be sensible people to park ,gives out a bad impression together with the other .I was at the mtetting at the hotel up the road ,with a big assemble of people who are trying to get hold of sensible ideas for this area ,looks like a lot of sugestions were put forward , one thing is for sure ,there are a lot of very selfish people out there

wallace

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 10:05:11 am »

Very good photo's Martin it was nice to see the two boating lakes together.
I myself loved the old lake as I have had great days there and good club events started on the old lake with my first built and had alot of good support and help and the help has moved to the new lake.
I also like the new lake because of everything thats getting built around it will grow on us,the only thing of the new lake is that all our stone blocks are missing which we miss for putting our models on and for sitting down plus the biggest downside is the parking only three cars can park near the water and really if you want to get a car park space you have to get there with the birds early  otherwise its a good boating lake and will be when Parks and Gardens empty it and clean it as the water is so bad,they did phone me up last week and said they are going to do it in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
     wallace   :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:37:07 am »

will be when Parks and Gardens empty it and clean it as the water is so bad,they did phone me up last week and said they are going to do it in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

You want to see Southport Lake at the moment if you're into bad water :((

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 11:06:12 am »

You want to see Southport Lake at the moment if you're into bad water :((
the picture of the new lake is interesting , the disabled parking bays with some anti social pig parking a scooter or bike in between cars , if it is a club member they should be banned I would have it towed away and crushed do people not know the reason why there are big gaps between spaces, I would do the same with cars without badges. but leave the owner in the car. I cannot wait for the new laws that are supposedly comming out soon , when I was in Aus they have a $1000 fine for misuse, and they do it (about £750)

Peter

dave301bounty

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 08:06:55 pm »

That photo ,  was not anywherenear as bad as what I had to comment on ,but you make any sugestion to move your machine ,the day I was there ,there was a car across the disabled bays ,comment being we will move when you want to get out .its just not worth the hastle ,you ,/ive been accused ,and a few others are fed up with the same self rightious , just wonder what the out come will be when the offenders number is made public , the councilor has stated ,this is a public and fun generated place ,not from our angle ,and the comment made of getting there with the early birds ,,that may be o k if you live just 2 miles away .  As stated ,in the State of Queensland ,they Do as they say .

garston1

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:16:50 pm »

Very good photo's Martin it was nice to see the two boating lakes together.
I myself loved the old lake as I have had great days there and good club events started on the old lake with my first built and had alot of good support and help and the help has moved to the new lake.
I also like the new lake because of everything thats getting built around it will grow on us,the only thing of the new lake is that all our stone blocks are missing which we miss for putting our models on and for sitting down plus the biggest downside is the parking only three cars can park near the water and really if you want to get a car park space you have to get there with the birds early  otherwise its a good boating lake and will be when Parks and Gardens empty it and clean it as the water is so bad,they did phone me up last week and said they are going to do it in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
Thanks for the compliments Wallace :-)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 12:33:12 am »

personally, the old lake wins hands down, better shape, as it has a long length to sail, easier to park, side walls not as high, water not as deep. Dont get me wrong, its great that the council agreed to rebuild a model boat lake, it could easily have been a seasonal filled paddling pool, but, who agreed the shape, and very close locality on one side to the road, also when the gym is open, I wonder what it will be like then with all the gym visitors? 

wallace

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 10:11:53 am »

your so welcome martin  good photos lets hope all the replies are about how good the lakes were and now and not going into personel things it spoils things. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))  wallace

treeboa

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 10:28:08 am »

ruimed by the fact that the parking has been taken away, the realistic side is 3 dissabled can park there - just three, my thoughts on wbc were confirmed when that clown was errected on the roundabout-just about summed wbc up

garston1

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 12:50:22 pm »

your so welcome martin  good photos lets hope all the replies are about how good the lakes were and now and not going into personel things it spoils things. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))  wallace
You got it in one!  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.