Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Armidale Patrol Boat 1/40 Scale.  (Read 8142 times)

Gra

Armidale Patrol Boat 1/40 Scale.
« on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:30 am »

Hi ,

A few photos of a club members Armidale.
Member is Phil Clarke of Surrey Park Model Boat Club.Hull is fibre glass with all fittings scratch built.
Phil has had his model since about 2006.He was fortunate to get quite a few photos of HMAS Ararat when it was birthed at Melbourne one weekend.
A few of the crew visited the club the next weekend to view Phils boat and were impressed.

Gra

Trooper63

Re: Armidale Patrol Boat 1/40 Scale.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 09:51:50 am »

Looks nice.  Any details on the running gear etc?  It would be interesting for comparative purposes.

brianB6

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:38:24 am »

I have added Phils name to the Armidale Names register.
Do you have a launch date for his model please?

Gra

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:40:38 am »

Hi Sean,
Two Graupner Speed 600 x 7.2 v water cooled motors.
Bow thruster by Krick control.
Will find out about prop size and batteries.
Four channel r/c unit.

Gra

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:25:10 am »

How about some more photos guys. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

brianB6

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:18:01 am »

Your wish is our command.  %)
'The Rats' aft mast.
Perspex and brass.  Front angle, working LED lights and radar still to be fixed.
I have had to admit that my fingers are not as nimble as they were 30 years ago when I built 'Dorina'

Gra

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 08:04:06 am »

Okay Richard.

Trooper63

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 08:33:17 am »

Love that soldering on the main mast, and working LEDs...... They operate through the correct sectors?  <*<

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:38:55 am »

Very nice fellas, thanks.

Makes me wish I could start on my 1:72 scale one.

I've had one of Steve's hulls since last September but am not well enough to start the build yet.

Keep the photos coming.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:57:22 am »

It's OK Richard...... %) ....we will wait for images of your usual ......DD top class build when you make the build start...........:-))  Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:15 am »

It's OK Richard...... %) ....we will wait for images of your usual ......DD top class build when you make the build start...........:-))  Derek
Thanks Derek, hope it wont be too long, doesn't look to hopeful at the moment. <:(

brianB6

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 10:40:57 am »

Sectors? what sectors?  :embarrassed:
At the moment I am just hoping they are the right colours.  8)

Glenedge

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 01:12:37 pm »

Dont panic yet Brian. :-) The lights on the aft mast are NUC lights. Top two red, middle two white and bottom two red. They are also all round lights so no sectors required. I may have mentioned this before but they are only used when the boat is broken down and Not under Command or i think maybe used as well when being towed.

I am thinking of only doing the running lights on mine.

glen

Trooper63

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 10:19:25 pm »

Glen,

Do they run towing lights?  Given that they probably tow a few Foreign Fishing Vessels.

brianB6

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 12:23:42 am »

Yes they do.   One yellow towing light at the back of the aft mast at the level of the white ( middle) NUC lights.   I bought a LED for it from Jaycar Electronics yesterday for 20 cents.  %%
If they need 'Not Under Command' lights, they must have expected the boats to break down on a regular basis.  ;)
More likely as Riding lights when at anchor.
I suppose I should have separate circuits for Navigation and NUC lights but all lights on will make a better display for night sailing.  %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 12:28:01 am »

I have added Phils name to the Armidale Names register.
Do you have a launch date for his model please?

Gra said that Phil has has his since about 2006. Here are a couple of photos of Phil's boat sent to me in late 2007 when I was doing the preliminary research for mine. You have to admit that it's a magnificent model, and looks great on the water.

Peter.

brianB6

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 01:09:07 am »

Just hope my "Rat" looks and performs as well when she is running.
It would be fantastic to get a whole group together in formation.  O0

Glenedge

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 01:20:27 am »

Hi all

When the boats are at anchor they have a forward anchor light, an aft anchor light and the normal masthead light plus all the upperdeck fluros on.

They have a few towing lights, there was one yellow sterntow on the aft mast but that has been moved to the stern mounted in a two light fitting with the anchor light (white)on top of the ensign staff. The stern light (white) is a double fitting at the base of the staff. There are two more masthead tow lights (white) mounted below the refraction dish above the bridge facing forward. these are single lights in different positions.

Brian I believe it is maritime requirements for ALL ships to have NUC lights whether they are fitted permanent or able to be run up a halyard.

Not at work at the moment due to bronchitis, wearing tracksuit, shirt and socks in DARWIN!!!! will try to get a pic next week of these stern lights

Glen

Glenedge

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 01:27:43 am »

This pic shows no navigation lights on the mast.
The very top floodlight is used while at anchor to light up the boat deck for fishin  ok2
The smaller floodlight half way down is an emergency floodlight and only comes on on complete power failure. {:-{

Glen

Trooper63

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 06:15:07 am »

OK, Defence has an exemption from the Navigation Act (Fed) and the various State Acts when it comes to operating vessels/ships, etc.  But in most cases they comply through their own desire to be uniform in the industry.

The International Rules for the Prevention of Collisions at Sea are the State, National and international standards.  Part C specifically relates to Lights and Shapes.  Arcs of visibility are;

Rule 23 PDV

Masthead Light forward, plus second Masthead Light abaft and higher than the forward one (white 0 +/- 112.5 deg)

Sidelights (Red 0 -112.5 deg, Green 0 +112.5 deg)

Sternlight (white 180 +/- 67.5 deg)

Rule 27

NUC is two red lights 360 deg in a vertical line AND when underway it's sidelights and stern light as well.

RIAM three lights (red white red, all 360 deg) in a vertical line AND underway everything in Rule 23 as well.

Mine Clearance three lights (green, all 360 deg) in a triangle seen from ahead AND underway everything in Rule 23 as well.

Rule 30 Anchored

On the bow a light (white 360 deg) and aft and lower than the fore light, another light (white 360 deg)

ONLY vessels > 100m legally require their deck lights to be illuminated at anchor, vessels smaller may do it.

Rule 24 Towing

Sidelights (Red 0 -112.5 deg, Green 0 +112.5 deg)

Sternlight (white 180 +/- 67.5 deg)

Towing light (Yellow 180 +/- 67.5 deg)

Mastheads extinguished and replaced with two mastheads (white 0 +/- 112.5 deg) in a vertical line.  [if overall tow exceeds 200m then 3 mastheads in a vertical line]

There is a distinct reliance on the display of these lights at night, and therefor many builders require duplication for the purpose of having redundancy, hence why you may see extra lights.  The range of visibility isn't something too concerning in scale builds, but in real world should be 6Nm for Mastheads and 3Nm for everything else.

Glen, I'd be surprised if they were fitted with the Mine Clearance Lights?????

Glenedge

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 08:04:31 am »

No green lights fitted to the ACPB.These boats are not excempt from any acts as they are a commercially built boat and meet all DNV, AMSA regulations.

Rule 23 PDV agree with that.

Rule 27 agree but no green lights for mine ops. What is RIAM?

Rule 30 agree

Rule 24 agree, masthead extinguished and two masthead towing on, these are the two single lights below the defractiion screen and the yellow stern tow is now on the ensign staff.

You can see the double masthead at the top and the two single masthead tows under the screen

Glen

meyer

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 08:19:21 am »

RIAM Resticted in ability to manouver  :-))

Glenedge

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 08:21:17 am »

Thanks Meyer

Just remembered

brianB6

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 08:59:04 am »

Well I definitely will need the RIAM lights.   HMS Troutbridge has nothing on my steering.
"Left hand down a bit chaps"   :embarrassed:
Thanks for all the information.   I will just have to look at all the photos to see which lights are appropriate for the period.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.