Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Learnt a valuable lesson today  (Read 1930 times)

Boatbuilder2011

I Learnt a valuable lesson today
« on: June 15, 2011, 04:28:44 pm »

I learnt such big lesson today one I won't repeat again :( I decided to go to our club pond still as a new member I don't no the code to the rescue boat so I put the pt boat in water took it out to the centre of the lake and bank me being an idiot didn't super glue or thread lock the prop on :( stupid mistake I no having no momentum and no way getting the rescue boat on the water as it's chained down I started to panic I was thinking of what I had in the car to help and found a tow rope and tennis ball after 30 mins off throwing it out and gently bumping it against the boat I finally got it in big time lesson learnt :( has any one else ever done anything like this

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I Learnt a valuable lesson today
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 05:20:29 pm »

Seen this a few times before. Screw threads are normally RH threads so having a prop that screws onto the shaft clockwise when looking at the shaft end means that to ensure the prop stays on, the shaft should rotate anti - clock so you need a prop that generates thrust when rotating anti - clock.

Before anyone jumps in with "It's a PT boat, so multi propped", retrieval wouldn't have been a problem, one of them would have been going the "Right" way.

For the clock rotation fraternity, a locknut on the shaft in front of the prop would not go amiss.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

nhp651

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 05:47:02 pm »

easily done, boatbuilder........you won't be the last.
after my first time with an expensive large prop i for ever after lockeked it up with a backing nut and then drilled through the propeller boss and secured it with a small split pin made from thin brass wire.never lost another since.
neil.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

triumphjon

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 07:58:05 pm »

think most modellers have at some time either lost or broken a blade or more from a prop , mine are all locked to the shafts with the locking nut .

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:16:20 pm »

easily done, boatbuilder........you won't be the last.
after my first time with an expensive large prop i for ever after lockeked it up with a backing nut and then drilled through the propeller boss and secured it with a small split pin made from thin brass wire.never lost another since.
neil.

:-)) :-))

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 03:31:21 pm »

Yup. I lost the prop on my first boat. Did what a well known boat shop said, (do it up tight) Lost it of course.
Now use a lock nut.. Did the shop know id lose the prop and buy another?. John.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.