Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swing rig problems  (Read 10125 times)

Stavros

Swing rig problems
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:53:47 pm »

Not often I have to ask for HELP with a Marbelhead but I am up the creek without a paddle with this one !!!!

Setting up a std rig with the sail winch I don't have any problems with but this swing rig is driving me crackers lol.The mast swivels with NO problem at all from tack to tack,but the MAIN problem is simple the sheet keeps falling off the drum,The reason for this is very simple there is no tension on the sheet.

SO how in earth do I set it up so I can keep tension on the drum sheet to stop it falling off the drum,especially when she becomes becalmed as when I sheet in to try and gain some momentum it has allready fallen off the drum and then becomes tangled under the drum,Or is this a common problem with a swing rig.
Pictures can speak a thousand words if at all possible

Stav

knoby

Re: Swing rig problems
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:23:45 pm »

I'm no expert, but recently bought a marblehead with a swing rig. The winch has a continuous loop which is always under tension, One side of the loop is run above deck exiting through brass tubing. Attached to this is the sheet that goes to the boom.
This way the winch line never goes slack, but allows the sheet attached to it to go slack if need be.
Hope the attached drawing clarifies it OK
cheers Glenn

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:25:52 pm »

Thanks Glenn that system confirms what I was thinking of doing to it....just noted where you are from Shame you wernt down at your lake on Sat as Guess who was there testing his newly aquired yacht !!!!!!! YES ME

Stav

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:28:03 pm »

My lead from the winch goes forward
Out at the bow on a throughdeck pulley
onto a triangular plate at the apex
from the base of the trangle a sheet lead
to the mainsheet post and knicker elastic
to a point well aft for the tension
Works ok with a whirlwind winch

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:29:47 pm »

Thanks Ned funnily enough thats the system I use for std rigs

Stav

CF-FZG

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:37:11 pm »

Sorry to butt in, but what's the advantage of a swing-rig?

Mark

Stavros

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:47:19 pm »

OK I'll try and ans this one but I guarantee I will be shot down in flames !!!!

As far as I can see it is the ease of changing rigs quickly in competition,as far as I can Personally see there is no advantage to a swing rig over the conventional rig in sailing performance. As far as setting up a rig  at the side of the lake it is by far quicker to put the mast into the deck hole and just connect one sheet to the main boom.The conventional rig needs to have the mast stays attached,backstay and the jib and main sheets attached.
There is one handy point with a swing rig as far as I can see is that when each rig is set up you don't have to reset them everytime you sail.

Well if I am wrong then I will be corrected by the lads in the know....I've only recently bought this Marbelhead with 5 rigs and done a back to back test with a conventional rig and couldn't see any speed differential...........

Stavros

CF-FZG

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:54:41 pm »

OK I'll try and ans this one but I guarantee I will be shot down in flames !!!!

Thanks Stavros,

Ah, I see, it's one of those 'ask 5 people - get 5 different answers' type of questions  :-)

Yeah, I can see your point about easier and quicker to change rigs in a comp, be interesting to see if there is a performance benefit too.

As a beginner to RC sailing, it's not something I'm planning on using, just interested in the whys and wherefores of the swing rig.

Mark

Stavros

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 11:13:15 pm »

Of course there is one Major hassle as far as I can see with a swing rig,well with a conventional rig one can grab the mast and lift it out of the water well as I soon found out you CANT with a swing rig Boy oh boy did I feel such a Prat when the yacht didnt come out of the water only the mast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stav

CF-FZG

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 11:23:34 pm »

Of course there is one Major hassle as far as I can see with a swing rig,well with a conventional rig one can grab the mast and lift it out of the water well as I soon found out you CANT with a swing rig Boy oh boy did I feel such a Prat when the yacht didnt come out of the water only the mast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just came very close to wetting myself when I read that :}

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 11:29:28 pm »

My face was a picture believe you me

Stav

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 12:11:58 am »

Surely one of the main advantages of a swing rig is that the jib is totally self-tending. It also becomes in effect a Handley Page leading edge flap and can be set to the optimum (compromise) gap setting to cope with most angles of rig to wind.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 09:01:31 am »

Also on a broad reach/run the jib is presented to the wind out on the other side of the main, so contributes more drive. A conventional set up has the jib shielded by the main (except wing on wing of course). The general consensus when they first became popular was that it was swings and roudabouts (pun intended !) between the two ie swing rig better with wind aft but conventional better close hauled.
As for the winch line - set up a small loop of suitable elastic on the non - hauling side of the winch loop, where the sheeting line attaches and this will keep the whole thing in tension

Mike

destroyer42

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 06:06:19 pm »

Hi Stavros,
Another way of keeping tension is to use what is called fishing pole elastic. What you do is your have your lines run above deck from your winch through your sheet feed or through deck run and on to the winch. You then let out your sails and mark on the line when your sails are fully open you then close your sails and make another mark. When you have both marks on your sheet lead you cut it in the middle and insert a piece of pole elastic and connect you sheet line to either end of the elastic this gives you the tension you require without straining the winch or lines.
Hope this explanation helps.

Destroyer42

tony23

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 12:50:15 am »

Stav

{-) {-)  {-) what to do is make a loop from a ratchet strap and use the fin bolt to hold it down then just get a tent stake puller or make something with a hook and you can lift the boat out by the hull with the swing rigs attached.

tony23

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 12:52:20 am »

I'm no expert, but recently bought a marblehead with a swing rig. The winch has a continuous loop which is always under tension, One side of the loop is run above deck exiting through brass tubing. Attached to this is the sheet that goes to the boom.
This way the winch line never goes slack, but allows the sheet attached to it to go slack if need be.
cheers Glenn

Glenn,
         That will not work the sheet lines must have tension at all times on the drum so elastic is used or in my case I use a self tensioning drum on my RMG winches.

knoby

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 02:09:18 pm »

Hi Spam can, thats how mine is rigged at the moment, but it broke last time i was out.
could you explain it a little more, as this is my first yacht & I want to get it right.
many thanks Glenn

LarryW

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 02:26:00 pm »

HI LARRY HERE, i am finding the swing  rig topic interesting great for big boat boys ,
 but what type of swing rig would you use on a footy, i have tried to to get one to work on mine, but all i get is right missup is there a easy set up i have looked at the footy web site at some of there set ups but not to clear for a old bigginer like me,
   may be a simple drawing on rigs for a simple dummy like me  {-) can you help LARRY;;;;

Dekan

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:32 pm »

Download some of Roger Stolleys plans.... Lots of info on them  http://footy.rcsailing.net/plans.php

Nordsee

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 04:54:39 pm »

cheers Glenn
My system is basically the same as this, but the whole lot is below deck. The winch and pulleys are on a plywood base so they can be removed in one go, one pulley has a spring tensioner so the "Loop " is always tensioned. I will try to take a pic, easier than explaining.

LarryW

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 05:06:58 pm »

HI DEKAN ,  i have  ad a look roger stolley page , still can not get my head round what goes where pictures not to clear,
   but willstill keep trying thank you LARRY..... O0..

Dekan

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 10:37:54 pm »

HI DEKAN ,  i have  ad a look roger stolley page , still can not get my head round what goes where pictures not to clear,
   but willstill keep trying thank you LARRY..... O0..
Hmm thats exactly what I said to Roger ... have you seen this  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1294350&highlight=bottle+boat... this boat uses a simple swing rig
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.