Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Birth of a Darnel Type vii  (Read 12572 times)

g4yvm

Re: Birth of a Darnel Type vii
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 06:21:18 pm »

An advantage with filing the slots into the hull however is that it remains in one piece- an acrylic sheet will never match the strength of GRP laminate.

But it's hardly gonna be depth charged! {-)

D

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »

But it's hardly gonna be depth charged! {-)

D

Maybe not on your lake %%
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

g4yvm

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 03:16:45 pm »

Well heres my sub so far.  As I have always stated, the thing is designed to be a representation of a U Boat rather than perfect scale!

None of this stuff is painted yet (duh!) but so far the conning tower has the periscope fitted.  The deck is 1/8th wood and the wintergarden floor panels are from perforated PCB.  I like that bit!!

The flood holes are from MMB and if you look you'll see I have only used the port hand set on the bow.  The only critique point here is that they end up as a flat panel!  It COULD be curved and set into line with the hull but I hadnt spotted that issue before the glue went on (and the hole cut!).  All the edges line up though, so I hope with painting and camouflage it will be much less noticeable!

I managed to acquire a HUGE sheet of what looks like 8mm acrylic (still in car un measured) from the skip at work so that'll become the end caps and pistons in my piston tanks (thats that choice made then) and I think control will come from Microgyros (although Michael hasnt sent me the info he promised on the levellers and controllers! Tee hee)

I know many will look at this work and remark that could do much better...well maybe they could, but I am not a full on scale modeller. I enjoy what I do and if people look at it and say "cor, a U boat!", then I have succeeded in my personal aims.

Lots left to do but this is the progress report! 

David

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 05:25:10 pm »

An easy way to tidy up solder joints is with  a minidrill ( Dremel etc ) and the stone grinders. Fine enough to avoid snatching, but tough enough to hack down the solder joints. I used to hate the work involved with solder on scale fittings. Now I just dont like it...an improvement I feel!
Also, seek out Permagrit products, these are files, grinding bits, sanding blocks etc with tungsten grit embedded into them. They are a godsend when working with fibreglass, such as those pesky slots that subs seem to be infested with.
Keep up the good work, both of you...

g4yvm

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 06:47:33 pm »

Thanks for the tip on grinding the solder away!

D

andyn

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 07:07:42 pm »

You forgot to bend them to the hole didn't you {-)

It's looking great, maybe someday ours can go on patrol together :-))

subs1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 02:02:38 am »

I know many will look at this work and remark that could do much better...well maybe they could, but I am not a full on scale modeller. I enjoy what I do and if people look at it and say "cor, a U boat!", then I have succeeded in my personal aims.

I agree with this  ! However , you do tend to get better the more models you build ( it's called experience ) <G>
malcolm  NZ

g4yvm

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 11:09:14 am »

Ha, thanks Malc.  Actually, I just find experience lets me pick bigger holes in my own crap, ha ha.

David

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 12:52:50 pm »

There is no one more critical of their work than the builder of the model themselves. My advice.... ignore them and listen to everyone else at the lake instead....except the self proclaimed experts, see if they float!

Davy1

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 01:13:09 pm »

I agree completely. There is too much criticism about (including self criticism) and too much close examination at exhibitions etc.
Perhaps an excess of scale purism when in fact there is no such thing as a truly scale model.
Whatever happened to "stand off scale" - seemed like a good concept?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 02:10:54 pm »

One reason why I like to build concept boats...who's going to prove that I have something in the wrong place if the full sized boat was never built?

Rich

g4yvm

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 04:22:54 pm »

Yes, I always liked the idea of stand-off scale.  Personally, Id much rather see someones attempt at stand-off scale than someone turn up with a ready made, made in chine, scale job.  I cant speak for boats but in model planes one can now enter the purchased plastic fantastic in scale comps!  Unbelievable really.   Bring back the builder of the model rule!! 

Anyway, I'll keep you posted as U??? takes shape.

D

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 08:52:38 pm »

If you have built a boat yourself,then it is the best boat in the world.Many can be critical but few can actually do it.(my boss springs to mind here)Lets face it,the more you make,the better you become.keep at buddy

Regards Donuts

Davy1

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2011, 11:34:27 am »

There is a problem with ready made when it comes to subs. In mass markets, like aircraft, the RTF jobs are cheap.  But in niche markets, like submarines, everything is still expensive and I worry that people are being priced out of the model submarine hobby (particularly in these harsh economic times!)

So good on yer g4yvm.  Keep on soldering and Dremelling!

g4yvm

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2012, 03:49:06 pm »

Well my boat is still making progress!  I now have two acrylic tubes, one for the wtc and one for two piston tanks.  Just trying now to get the end caps and pistons sorted out then we can start building those.

Work on the stern gear has been painfully slow but I think we are almost there now, planes and rudders fitted and aligned.  Next off the props and propshafts.   

Anyone got any thoughts on prop diameter for a Darnel Type v11 running on 2 540s?

Anyway, its still ongoing!

David

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:03 pm »

I'm turning 3 blade brass 35mm props, I think you can go to 40mm and maintain a scale look, but check you have low power 540s and not ex Tamiya buggy ones, in which case it will hare across the lake like a torpedo leaving a trail of smoke behind it!

g4yvm

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 04:10:20 pm »

Thanks, no my units are low revving high torque jobbies from MMB.
35mm, thanks.

D

kazzer

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2012, 04:34:13 pm »

I tried to solder railings together and it looked horrible.  Then I found these STANCHIONS  http://www.loyalhannadockyard.com/RBSTANCHIONS.htm

I managed to find some that were about 1" long and they looked really good on my Darnell S Class.

And here's someone selling bigger ones  http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_stanchions.html

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 06:34:40 pm »

Check your "find" in the skip as it could be Makrolon & not perspex, Nemesis

CF-FZG

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2012, 11:31:05 pm »

Check your "find" in the skip as it could be Makrolon & not perspex, Nemesis

It might be better if it was Makrolon, (just one of many trade names for polycarbonate), rather than perspex - as it's not as brittle :-))

Mark.

silent running556

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 08:15:28 pm »

It's all trial and error. One thing you might think of though is drilling out the gun barrels., up to you. Keep going though. :-))
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.