Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 808 key fob cameras?  (Read 6058 times)

silent running556

808 key fob cameras?
« on: June 17, 2011, 10:04:22 pm »

what do you think of their value/quality?
Also where's the best place to get one? Ta.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: 808 key fob cameras?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 10:29:46 pm »

I like them. I've used standard definition and high definition (720P) up until now I've only used them model aeroplanes, as they only weigh about 15 grams, they are an easy load for the aeroplane to carry.

Mark (grim reaper) uses one on his Akula, in a little DIY watertight housing. I recommend the HD model, not just for the sharper picture, but the wider field of view, better inbuilt charger and more efficient codec. It's also easy to update the firmware to get rid of the pesky date and time imprint.

I get mine from ebay from this seller-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-HD-DV-key-chain-Camera-Recorder-DVR-Video-1280x720_W0QQitemZ160546966106QQcategoryZ48634QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You'll also need a class 4 micro SD card. 4Gb is good size and will give you about an hour and twenty minutes recording time. Battery lasts for about 45 minutes, and can be recharged in about an hour.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 09:25:35 am »

next upgrade will be to sort out a mobile phone battery to power the 808 cam the only draw back is the size of the SD card 16meg ones are expensive at the moment as andy says 1hour 20 mins pic quality is very good. I am also looking at getting the HD version.

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 09:35:07 am »

If you want to hook in a larger battery, take into account the fllowing-

1. These little cameras are packed full of static sensitive components- they are easily dispatched just by handling, especially if you have nylon based carpet! Therefore once you open up the case, I would recommend covering the components with sticky tape beofre proceeding further.

2. The onboard battery is about 200-250mAH capacity lipo. attached to this battery is a tiny PCB with a circuit to cut off the camera when the voltage falls too low, so you don't knacker the battery. You need this board for use with your bigger battery.

3. I would recommend using a different charger with the new battery. The onboard charger is rather crude.

A small battery from a mobile phone would be ideal (even one that's past its best for the phone), should keep these cameras going for several hours.

Lots of information on modifying these cameras at http://www.chucklohr.com/808 and on RCGroups.com forum (aerial photography section).

Andy

thegrimreaper

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 10:44:23 am »

1. Check will use anti static wrist band as always when dealing with small sensitive electronics

2. Check read about this on the site you kindly linked to in your message

3. Check I have just bought a new battery caddy which charges the majority of battery's from any phone/camera via car or mains will charge a phone Battery in about 1/2 hour

4. thanks for the tips Andy. I will be doing the battery swap on my old 808 as soon as my new HD 808 arrives if it all works out then I will also convert the new 808

Regards Mark

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:46:27 am »

next upgrade will be to sort out a mobile phone battery to power the 808 cam the only draw back is the size of the SD card 16meg ones are expensive at the moment as andy says 1hour 20 mins pic quality is very good.

Given that the audience viewing interest starts waning after about 4mins., Unless your making "Der Muddle version of Das Boot" why fix it if it isn't broke?

Regards  Ian.

Yer last link don't work Andy
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 10:54:50 am »

Whoops- mispelt the URL, and can't edit after a time on this forum.

Try again- http://www.chucklohr.com/808

To get four minutes of decent footage can take an hour more I find.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 10:57:02 am »

Given that the audience viewing interest starts waning after about 4mins., Unless your making "Der Muddle version of Das Boot" why fix it if it isn't broke?

Regards  Ian.

An hour of filming normally gives 5 good minutes of edited highlights with a lot of action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbzG6HATxbI

Its much easier to leave the sub in the water for a couple of hours and walk around with the camera on and see what you got at the end of a day of natural sailing than trying to get specific shots before your battery runs out.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 11:10:32 am »

This is not a consumer friendly product.  If you are not technical, you will have trouble using the 808

Smoke coming from camera - Can be caused by a loose component inside the camera.  Can be caused by pressing the reset and power buttons at the same time. Replace the camera

Doncha just lurv the technicalities :-)) {-)

Yes, an hours vid, used to think I'd been up forever when thermalling until one checks the time and how l o n g an 8min slot was.

Regards Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 11:50:35 am »

Yep. Chinglish instructions and Russian roulette quality control.

However if you stick with the vendor I linked to, you should be okay. I've found all the cameras from there have been as good as gold. Instructions are still lousy, but these little things are pretty easy to work out to be honest (only two buttons), and with good instructions on the Chucklohr, if you're  still having trouble figuring it out, perhaps you shouldn't be allowed out on your own.  %%

If you want the gold standard, get an Gopro HD Hero, about £250 last time I looked or the ATC9K which is bit more streamlined in shape (similar moolah)! You've really got to be serious about your filming to justify that outlay, plus they're a fair bit chunkier than the 808's.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:32:39 pm »

given that the audience viewing interest starts waning after about 4Min's., Unless your making "Der Muddle version of Das Boot" why fix it if it isn't broke?

regards  Ian.

Yer last link don't work Andy

now theirs an idea Circlip a model version of Das Boot I think between us we could muster a few cameras for the surface work and underwater work need to sort out a cast and crew making sure of course that we can film at the pool selected  :embarrassed:

But silliness aside I agree with subculture and mankster all day filming for 5 - 10 Min's good footage

Regards Mark

silent running556

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 03:24:56 pm »

Frank Drebin as captain?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 11:42:53 pm »

I have one ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKNtNBrVHBI
(quality is actually slightly better than YouTube displays it)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 07:26:48 am »

Looks like you have a version 3 there, Martin. You can get rid of the date and time stamp on those with a simple firmware update.

thegrimreaper

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 02:58:03 pm »

And their is also a small program for all you users out their that can't do a firmware upgrade the program is called "logoaway" and is free just google it to get the latest version works by blanking the area of the display where the date/time is looks very good as well

Regards Mark

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 03:41:08 pm »

I used that plugin before the modified firmware files became available, and I agree it works amazingly well.

I found it worked best if you have a fairly consistent background. As the corners of an underwater image are usually pretty blank, it should make the job of the logoaway plugin a good deal simpler, although with the newer HD cam, a firmware update is such a simple exercise, it's no longer a concern.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.