Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MDF  (Read 11464 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: MDF
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 01:25:54 pm »

My friend Pete built his Springer barge from MDF.
It was very well sealed in all aeras and had no problems with it until it was sailed on a very wet afternon and not dried off.
Next time he went to use it he found a partially assembled  MDF springer kit sitting on his work bench!i
.... it went back together OK once dried out and has had no problems since!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 12:03:11 am »

why do all posts of help on this forum have to degenerate into a personal argument.

Neil, I don't see this thread as degenerating into an argument, but as people expressing their opinions based on experience. If the OP wishes to use MDF, then that's his prerogative, but he did ask for advice/opinions as to its suitability, and that was given. He may find that he has no problem with the material, in which case no harm will have been done.

Peter.

yorkiej

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 01:16:42 am »

yes but where does  it say west system or epoxy when you seal before painting it is normally sanding seal,

and sarcasm does not help, bet you feel really clever now ?

Peter

At my advanced age and with my experience of materials and the command of the English Language, I am well qualified to pass comment on spurious comment.
I have used vast amounts of the relatively new medium of MDF in marine envionments at 12 inch to the foot sealed with a variety of sealants, not including epoxy of any North, East, South or West Systems, without complaint from the end user.
I take it that modelling in this medium is not much different from full size use and the end result should be the sameif properly done.
I did not intend to be sarcastic, merely to make a point, but if someone feels put out by this, I apologise, but the Yorkshire anology remains ' If the cap fits, wear it'.
As far as I am concerned, this post is now closed to my eyes.
John

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 03:18:17 am »

AH so you haven't used it on models ? well come back when you have also just because you have done this sort of thing since Noah was in his Arch does not mean that you are any good at it, yes I can be sarcastic as well.  %%

anyway my eyes are closed to this post also and ill scream if you put anything nasty  :D

Peter
who has also got 40 years experience with wood time served etc but does not mean I have a clue what I am talking about, but this is just a HOBBY where we or I build model boats .

Roadrunner

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 09:00:08 am »

LOL wow this topic went to pot in no time , started with some good advice and some light hearted humour too boot... ended well.. badly....  i need to join in  {-)

At my advanced age and with my experience of materials and the command of the English Language, I am well qualified to pass comment on spurious comment.

With age dose not always mean more wisdom, ( i was going to add a comment about being senile but thought to harsh this morning you were lucky!!)  {-)

I have used vast amounts of the relatively new medium of MDF in marine envionments at 12 inch to the foot sealed with a variety of sealants, not including epoxy of any North, East, South or West Systems, without complaint from the end user.

not yet.. but im sure when the boat sinks you'll soon know about it....

As far as I am concerned, this post is now closed to my eyes.

is another way of saying bla bla i'm not listening any more (close minded)

but the Yorkshire anology remains

I have a one as well... ''sometimes you can't teach an old dog new trick's''

I was trying to be Sarcastic, so if you can't take a joke not my problem.  Im sure Admin will delete the top bit anway  O0 :-))

I wouldn't use mdf on a model at all, weight, quality are all issues you cannot guarantee for a marine use without the need to seal it using resins, if you say use ronseal exterior wood preserver/sealer im going to slap you... mdf is so tightly compacted it cannot absorb the sealer deeply enough with out literally submerging the whole lot and leaving it for a few hours, by which time its starting to come apart, swell and distort once dried.

Mdf great for indoor use, flat pack furnituer, and boat stands, used on a boat as skinning material .. uff  taking a chance... LOL

And then it comes back to cost... to seal the mdf using epoxy you just added to the cost and weight, where as some one already pointed out you may as well buy some good quality ply and seal it the old fashioned way at less the cost & to better effect.

I use for many larger projects marine grade ply in either 2-3 or 4 mm thickness's pre treated, and ideal for the larger more bulky work where strength is also needed (bulkheads etc) I have used 8mm ply in my tug as hollow bulkheads, one for strength and the only to reduce how much extra ballast i put in when you have to load 30Lb of dead weight in then using some of the weight as reinforcement is not a bad idea, well i though so anyway.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 09:14:06 am »

Well said HS93 - I have to view this topic with one eye closed and the other half open as I have had a lot of experience building full sized boats through family connections and we must have built well over 40 boats of varying sizes.   I used to work for the Company who were the first to import the West System from the U.S.A. The Gourgen Bros. and the first boat was on show at Earls Court in London and it was a small sailing dinghy Carvel built by McNulties and it sure wasn't built from MDF  %% IT WAS THOUGH made from TOP GRADE MAHOGANY costing an arm and a leg; even though the West System is a good system its first use was for gluing the planks together but the West System is an expensive system to use for modelling - but - as someone has already said suit yersel.....or if the cap fits wear it - as long as it isn't covered in a West System epoxy  %) %)

Mind you on a serious note we have to think about the other things such as gum paper and shellac (might have spelt that wrong)  cos a long time ago people used to build models using this method and they have stood the test of time.

aye
john e
bluebird

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

tugmad

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 08:32:22 am »

Hobbies do a kit called Plucky the tug and it is All M D F, my brother was given one and he sealed it with Finishing resin which is epoxy based  and has no trouble with it at all

nhp651

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 08:59:46 am »

Neil, I don't see this thread as degenerating into an argument,
Peter.

eat your words peter, eat your words,  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 12:35:06 am »

eat your words peter, eat your words

Never Neil, it's just a lively discussion  %) {-)

Peter.

tugmad

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 08:26:58 am »

Here you are chaps to prove a point Brother Peters  slightly modified Plucky the M D F tug  the wheelhouse was replaced with a lighter one as she rolled even more than she does now. ok2 ok2 ok2

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 09:06:11 am »

why do all posts of help on this forum have to degenerate into a personal argument.

Because personal arguments work best to explain why someone should do it your way.
Besides, it's also easier to adopt a certain advice when the person who gave the advice explains why he/she did it that way so you can adjast the advice a little to suit your project.
I think giving personal arguments is only a bad thing when it's used to make the other person feel less good.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

Nige52

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 09:14:10 am »

Equipage, the company that make all those nice looking classic speedboats, plank on frame style, use MDF for all the bulkheads and battery trays, I have the Riva and also the Gold Coast, no problems at all so far  :-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 09:53:07 am »

The posts on this subject seem to assume that MDF is MDF. In fact there are various grades and densities of the material including a moisture resistant type.

Some info here: http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/are-there-differant-quality-grades-of-mdf-t12256.html

So maybe everybody is right!

Colin

hopeitfloats

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 11:36:11 am »

as the OP i have been following this thread and are actually finding all the differing views very interesting :-))
                                                                  craig

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 10:57:54 pm »

Never Neil, it's just a lively discussion  %) {-)

Peter.

Our Pollies, and no doubt others, call it a Robust discussion, so we could also adopt that phrase.  {-) {-) {-) O0 O0 O0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2011, 08:27:38 am »

Just read that, very interesting, good find Colin!   :-))

The posts on this subject seem to assume that MDF is MDF. In fact there are various grades and densities of the material including a moisture resistant type.

Some info here: http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/are-there-differant-quality-grades-of-mdf-t12256.html

So maybe everybody is right!

Colin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 23 queries.