Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing a top deck from a hull  (Read 2810 times)

darrencuk

Removing a top deck from a hull
« on: June 18, 2011, 10:36:57 pm »

Hi I have just brought a boat off eBay really cheap it will need some work but the top deck is stuck to the hull it's a abs hull and a wooden deck any body out there got any tips on how to remove the deck with out damaging them both

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Removing a top deck from a hull
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 10:47:53 pm »

gently prize the hull away from the deck after opening the joint carefully with a stanley knife.
My preferred option though is with Pliers, rip it out then repair/replace after.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Roadrunner

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 10:53:10 pm »

Carefully to start with...

Depending how its been stuck down, i would assume some type of 2 part epoxy, you may be able to get a stanley blade between the deck and hull and cut it out, once out you may even be able to pick the old glue off.

Using chemicals is a bit risky with ABS plastic to remove epoxy as they tend to melt or deform the plastic, we can only hope you were lucky and it was glued down using a hot glue gun in which case it a fun project for an hour peeling it off!  {-)

Other methods maybe to destroy the deck slightly by cutting it out of the hull using a dremel, maybe cut it out 5mm from hull edge to keep the hull in shape and use as a edge of the old deck to glue a new one too, a deck is not complicated to remake as long as you can get the shape, which depending if its a flush fit, is a simple matter of turning up the hull and drawing around the edge only some ply  ( try using  1 or 2mm lite ply for a deck) and cutting out.

If you cut out the old one and stick a new one to the top of it, you are able to use some P38 (body filler) to cover the gaps or seam that's left if you want a flush fit.

Ok its not perfect, the deck will be up to a few mm higher but that's the best i got for you suggestion wise.

If its more complicated and inset with bulwarks then you can still make a new deck in a similar way just over size it and shape to fit to its surroundings.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:22:11 pm »

my method....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Roadrunner

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 11:28:51 pm »

Could be worse my dad built a scale yacht the hull purchased was not quite perfect in the shape department (warped to hell and back)... took a fricking ankle grinder to a 1:32nd scale hull 600mm long).. talk about over kill.. mind you he got the hulls shape perfect   {-) :-))

chingdevil

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 06:55:26 am »

I would use a razor saw to cut through the edge of the deck where it meets the hull, then sand back to the right height.

Brian

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 09:21:51 am »

my method....
Effective  :-)) :-)) but recommend sharpening the tool first, it doesn't appear to be well honed. O0 O0

Boatbuilder2011

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 11:10:32 am »

Ok thank u guys my dad is a bit worried because the boat is second hand never been used but prop shaft and rudder is fitted dads saying what happens if it's been fitted wrong but u could always remove and fibre glass it and redo the holes couldn't I? Sorry for all the questions

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Boatbuilder2011

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 01:13:38 pm »

Thank u so much for all your help guys so helpful so much better than my local club

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 01:39:15 pm »

Mind if I chip in with my pennyworth?
Taking out the entire deck may well be unnecesary as your'e going to have to replace the thing at some stage. You could retain shape and rigidity by cutting the deck out by leaving a strip of the original deck (about 0.5" or so wide). Doing that could be advantageous for you.
1. It maintains shape.
2. By gluing other strips to the underside of the bit you've left "intact" you'll have a "landing" for your new deck (possibly even detachable for interior access).
3. If this is possible, you could cut it out in a series of straight lines. This saves you the bother of cutting a new deck to the shape of the hull.   BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Roadrunner

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 02:59:53 pm »

Other methods maybe to destroy the deck slightly by cutting it out of the hull using a dremel, maybe cut it out 5mm from hull edge to keep the hull in shape and use as a edge of the old deck to glue a new one too,

Never to late Bryan just been suggested already.. by me  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.