Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neptune Mk3  (Read 4264 times)

Patrick Henry

Neptune Mk3
« on: June 20, 2011, 07:46:47 am »

This is my Thunder Tiger Neptune...

It now has a Robbe F-14 radio, an 8 LED searchlight installed inside the clear nosecone, a 10mm HiViz flashing red LED with an Action Electronics Pico flasher unit, and a modified top deck. The hatches are courtesy of Andy at Models by Design (thanks mate!) and the periscopes were made by Andy Oakley.

Next job is to install my 808 keyfob camera in the nosecone and install an operating grab arm.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Neptune Mk3
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 09:55:17 am »

In case you haven't got something better in the pipeline.... a servo operated grab arm http://proto-pic.co.uk/products/Robotic-Claw.html

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 10:21:16 am »

Now where the heck did you find that claw? I've searched the 'net over and over again and I never came across that...what a top man you are! Thanks Ramesh...much appreciated.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:55 pm »

Just wondering if you'll get reflections back from the light/nosecone on to the camera.
Is the camera going in the watertight section?

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:15:18 pm »

Lights don't help underwater video very much- you get reflections off all the bits and pieces floating about in the water. Cameras work well in swimming pools and very clear (e.g. spring fed) lakes, with plenty of diffused ambient light. That's why the videos and pictures taken at the Dive-ins come out as well as they do. Most ponds and lakes will just reward your efforts with a grey and murky visage, with maybe the odd curious fish to break up the monotony, if you're lucky!

silent running556

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 09:01:09 pm »

Any luck finding Nessy with that sub?  8)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:16:04 pm »

If I do get problems with light reflection, I can spray the canopy black, just leaving a bare space where the light lens and the camera eye are aimed.

No signs of Nessie yet...just the odd goldfish or two.   :o

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 09:44:18 pm »

Chris Netherway used to have a curved dome on his little camera pod he tows behind his boats, and it acted as a lens throwing all the video out of focus. He modified the enclosure with a flat piece on the front, and had no more problems.

Now you may be alright, because the Thunder Tiger Polyphemus camera system sits in the same area, and the dome has a shallower curve, so try it and see.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:49:50 pm »

Once this dammed weather changes for the better, I'll give it a try...as they say in all the best places, "watch this space"

Brooks

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 01:48:30 am »

Instead of spraying your dome black, how about just making a black funnel out of paper running from the camera lens to the sub's dome? You'll have to experiment to find the proper angle for the funnel so as to not cut out screen width, but that could be done on dry land. Once the portion of the dome in front of the lens is isolated from ambient light, the camera should not pick up reflections -- a trick used by pro photographers in the advertising industry.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 08:50:57 am »

The main idea of fitting the searchlight and the flashing beacons was to enable me to see where the sub was once below periscope depth....our local lake can get a bit murky at times, so the easier it is to see the boat, the better I like it.

If it helps illuminate the area directly where the video camera is aimed at, then that'll be a bonus.

Brooks...yes, already working on that idea. A toilet roll inner tube to start with to get the shape correct, then make one from plastic tube to that shape. As Andy says, it may not be necessary, but we'll see how we go with it.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 08:54:20 am »

Oh...I've ordered the claw from Ramesh's link, it does look to be ideal for what I need. (Thanks Ramesh!)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 08:08:40 am »

And here's the claw...marvellous piece of kit, very impressed with it.

Grateful thanks to Ramesh (wheelerdealer) for putting me onto the website, it's saved an awful lot of work and head scratching.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:07 am »

I've one of these, which fits inside the nose cone, got mine held with elestic bands, so no mods to the boat.

Just need some clear water now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ViviCam-7399-Digital-Preview-Waterproof/dp/B004PEIEIM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1308907814&sr=8-7
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.