Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ebay  (Read 3911 times)

mook

• Full Mayhemer
Ebay
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:52:12 am »

Hello there
Just wondering if anyone nos if it's a good plan to buy a already started boat of eBay it's a little cabin cruiser looks quite a nice boat but what are the risks and does it pay off buying one?

Roadrunner

Re: Ebay
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 11:05:06 am »

Nothing wrong with it providing you have the ability's to strip it right back to bare bone in a worse case scenario.

Generally many partly built boats are in good nic just need finishing bit of TLC.

But like everything off ebay you take a chance (unless you can do a pick up only) then you can walk away if its not right.

I've been lucky with things I've brought all very good quality even some partly built models, but others have brought complete sheds.

Its a gamble, best bet is have a spend limit on what you think its worth and not go over it... anything wooden i never go past £40-50 unless its a finished item, any thing fibreglass i will go up around the £80-150 mark for unfinished projects (depending what it is).

Good luck.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 11:30:05 am »

And make sure it receives the "Commitee's" seal of approval O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:32:39 am »

If you are new to modelling and you are trying to save a few bob it may not be worth the risk.

If you are comfortable with handling most modelling challenges, and you can afford it if you unfortunately do get a bad buy, then go for it.

My 2 cents
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 12:43:59 pm »

Hello there
Just wondering if anyone nos if it's a good plan to buy a already started boat of eBay it's a little cabin cruiser looks quite a nice boat but what are the risks and does it pay off buying one?

The risks are standard ebay ones. How experienced are you at ebay purchasing?

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 01:24:18 pm »

I am an experienced Modeler my dad does no a lot more than me as he built grimashon billings cyalipso etc over 15 years ago I'm quite new ish to boat built loads rc cars as I used to race them. I have only had my eBay account a little while so still a beginner well I bidded and won so we will just have to wait and see :)

Roadrunner

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 01:33:57 pm »

Well what ever the condition of the boat your off to a good start.

You have experience backing you (your father) the same as i do .. you won't believe how often i ask my old man for advice!

You have a boat to now start on which is a project.

Best thing to do if its your first, is not to expect a beautiful masterpiece of work as the finished outcome, It rarely happens the first time round, instead look at this model to hone your skill on, and hope you do enough to be happy with while you work on a 2nd project later.

Lastly your in the right place on the forum if you need help and advice with methods of contruction (destruction  :embarrassed:) and anything other issues you come across, many here are willing to help in some way.

Be sure to post lots of pictures of your build as you progress with your project it will help you and other learn, its a two way thing around here (well it should be)

Good Luck!

RR

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 02:06:00 pm »

I agree with Roadrunner about E Bay purchases.Ive brought and been dissapointed.If it sayes it has a speed
controller this can mean a Bobs Board. Beware. Photos are misleading the bad bits being missed. Paint may
not be to brill.Parts can be missing etc. Ideally look at model, but of course this is not always possible. Lastly
P nP varies a lot. No one wants the postie delivering a box of damaged bits.Good luck. John.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 03:23:30 pm »

. I have only had my eBay account a little while so still a beginner well I bidded and won so we will just have to wait and see :)

Now that it is finished, if you post the auction number that would be a good way of providing pictures to the forum. Our comments can be much more useful if we can see what it is we are commenting about. For instance, we are likely to know the particular model and direct you to plans, fittings, etc...

treeboa

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 05:45:09 pm »

a lot depends on the real reason its being sold on, seen a few over the years that have been built incorrectly and rather than dump they have been heaved on the bay, i went last year to look at a three foot perkassa, motors and tubes bonded in, no props, according to the advert he had not fitted the brass props, not supprised as he had no room, the motors were also bonded to the hull, uj`s were out of line, as it was the wooden hull i walked away from it, especially with the amount of epoxy holding everything in

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 06:17:32 pm »

Well I am at work at the moment won't be home till 1am, it is good having a dad who no's stuff about a hobby you like to but it's also a pain as I'm stubborn and try to do things and learn my self, hense my real car a a 1972 mini clubmen gt only just got it back on the road but if I would taken help from my dad it would have been on road last month but to me you have learn by yourself some times lol but I'm starting to listen :) back to the boat dad told me it's a billings White star it's got a speed controller servo and battery's with it including motor what I don't understand is he has fitted a 540 motor running through a gearbox, I understand he's more than likely fitted this gearbox to gear down the motor but why would you need to do this on this sort of a motor?. The top deck is stuck to the hull but has no paint on it, thanks for all the advice so far :)

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 12:33:25 pm »

Ok so my winning item has arrived to state that I'm not overlie impressed is a understatement the hull is solid and not warped that's one good thing I guess prop shaft and drive unit well touched it to see how free motor was and the hole unit moved :( the gear box that was fitted well I can only explain it as a spur gear out a rc car and a pinion not that great luckily there's no paint on the boat but the cabin is quite :( doesn't look like he's used much glue so I could be lucky don't no yet I will let the wise one have a look later (dad) lol I will try and post pictures later it did come with a old school hitec speed control and zebra radio and two battery's I dunno tho overall not that happy :( 

The long Build

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 01:01:30 pm »

Put the ebay item number on so we can see it.. :-))

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 01:13:41 pm »

I won it on a second chance offer but here's the number 270762860742

The long Build

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 01:23:40 pm »

Does not look that bad, Photos not brilliant but I have seen on here a lot worse bought and made to look very nice..

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 01:31:56 pm »

Yeah as said I'm going to get dad to have a look it's just like alot the areas haven't been sanded very well some haven't been cleaned up what so ever hopefully get it sort and it should be quite a nice boat the prop on it is quite big I'm thinking about changing it for two blade brass prop

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 03:18:59 pm »

ok so i have spoke to dad hes looked at it and (the long build) has said its not a bad boat dad has said we need to sort the prop shaft out as its waveing in the wind dad said not to bother with the brass prop and as im still learning i guess i will take his advice we have striped the rc gear out already but going to be ordering a new 540 motor any body no a good speed control to run a 540 motor?
heres the pics for now well i thgink about what i am going to do
eaby picture

again ebay picture

box front after reciving

hull stripped of radio gear

hull and cabin togther good thing loads room to change motor and sort prop out  :-)

going to sell this on i think as i have 2.4 radio gear still from racing from what i can see its a zebra 40mhz radio and reciver

motor and gear box im not going to use and speed control not going to use very heavy dad said it looks like one of the orignal speed controls oldschool lol

box off bits with two 3800 nimh dunno what they will be like they look like they have never been used

so from what dad has said it was a good buy so it made me relax a bit now that i havent brought a wrongen i will start a build thread when i get round to starting it just got to  order the motor and speed control advice with the speed control would bve handy because i dont want to buy anything to ott for it thanks for looking and help guys

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 09:00:54 pm »

Possibly a phone call to Dave at Action electronics would sort out your motor and speed control systems. He will talk you through what you need. John.

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 10:37:02 pm »

Yeah I have looked at this site b4 they seem a very good company but they seem very expensive in my opinion, I tracked a decent one down a mtroniks marine 20amp £20 couldn't really argue :)

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2011, 09:37:54 pm »

See Billings White Star thread.  Might help you decide.  Bob's boards obsolete now though.
Alan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.