Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vinyl Letters  (Read 1845 times)

Geoff Cropper

Vinyl Letters
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:52:00 pm »

Hi All,      How many of us has bought a packet of vinyl letters to name our boats only to use 3 names,  2 on the bows, and 1 on the stern.           At £5+  per packet, what a waste of money and letters.           There must be thousands of half empty packets all over the country.         In the past, you could buy 1 packet of letters which had different sizes of letters and numbers inside.             Now you have buy 2 or 3 packets to finish the job properly.        I have 3/4 of a packet of 8mm white vinyl letters & numbers left over and need some 4mm white letters,  so I'll put them on swops & wants.           Why can't manufacturers put different sizes in one packet?.         Oh yes, I forgot, they'd be losing money, silly me.     Regards    Geoff.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Vinyl Letters
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:56:45 pm »

If you contact BECC, they can produce names in vinyl to suit your requirements, no letters left over and no wastage. Silly you indeed :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 08:37:54 pm »

Why not just order the size and colour lettering and numbers, words you need from Barry's Model Lettering? I use this quite often for boat names etc, all nicely spaced out and ready to put on. I've done that plenty of times with no problems and no waste, just a thought. I still use sheets of becc lettering if I need a lot of a particular size/colour as this method may work out less expensive sometimes, Dave.  :-))

http://www.modellettering.com/

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 08:55:20 am »

I find the daft thing about these, given that they are made for modeling is that they include "£" and "@" etc....not seen many boats called £@?

Nige52

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:00:02 am »

I make my own and used to make them for other modellers as well. I did have a website advertising all what I did but in the end packed that in because it was a lot of hard work for very little return, especially when people sent me a photo of a design they'd seen on a boat somewhere and asked me to reproduce it, not taking into account the time involved in finding it, scaling it properly, transferring the jpeg image to a vector image my CNC plotter could understand, then finally cutting it, weeding it, and finishing it off. If I were to have charged a nominal £10 per hour, including the materials and postage, they would have laughed at me. I stopped doing it for £2 an hour, wasn't worth it  {-) {-) {-)
Lettering and numbering is entirely different, much faster and easier and I still do that if a club member wants something, my favourite designs at the moment are the Marlboro colours, which 2 of my boats have.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:47:41 am »

I find the daft thing about these, given that they are made for modeling is that they include "£" and "@" etc....not seen many boats called £@?

I would guess that they are not made specifically for modelling - they are made to sell. You are seeing a situation where they are being sold to modellers - somewhere else in the world the same items are being sold to people who need  "£" and "@" etc...

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:35:55 am »

Call your next build "£££@@££"
Waste not, want not. :-))
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:36:23 am »

Also part of an ancient script system called - Alphabet. :-))

Lost art No 137, How to make transfers

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 21 queries.