Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sheerline IID flood holes  (Read 3977 times)

roedj

Sheerline IID flood holes
« on: June 21, 2011, 11:54:54 pm »

To All,

I've just purchased a Sheerline German IID sub and am starting on opening up the flood holes in the solid bow section. I have yet to start on the upper hull. My question is this (if you have such experience) - specifically what tools did you use and how long did it take you to do all the flood holes - both bow and upper hull. Warning - if you say it only took you a couple of hours, I'm going to be physically ill.

Dan in sunny Michigan

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Sheerline IID flood holes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:50:46 am »

Most people just chain drill and finish off with needle files. Slow laborious job, which is why etched metal decks are popular if available.

If you have access to a milling machine, that will certainly make life a lot easier, but you'll probably still have to do a little finishing off by hand e.g. squaring off the ends of the slots.

That's one advantage of doing a Brit boat of the same era- they tended to go for holes as opposed to slots- darn sight easier for the modeller!

Andy in overcast London

roedj

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 02:33:15 pm »

Most people just chain drill and finish off with needle files. Slow laborious job, which is why etched metal decks are popular if available.
Andy in overcast London

Not quite clear on "chain drill".

There are chain drills but I doubt that's what you mean. Rather, I think you mean to start by making smaller holes working up with bigger holes until you can finish it off with files.

Is that about it? That's what I'm doing now and it's a tough slog to be sure.

Thanks for the help,

Dan in rainy Michigan

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:42:57 pm »

Yep you pretty much have it. Chain drilling is drilling a series of holes adjacent to one another to form a rough slot, then finish off with a file(s).

trevor v

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 05:43:43 pm »

Hi,On my U177  I did a holes at each end and then used a dremel fitted with fine blade

trevor v

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 05:50:52 pm »

To All,

I've just purchased a Sheerline German IID sub and am starting on opening up the flood holes in the solid bow section. I have yet to start on the upper hull. My question is this (if you have such experience) - specifically what tools did you use and how long did it take you to do all the flood holes - both bow and upper hull. Warning - if you say it only took you a couple of hours, I'm going to be physically ill.

Dan in sunny Michigan
By the way just over 300 holes on the engel U177 took me 5 to 6 hours work

roedj

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:48:59 pm »

Hi,On my U177  I did a holes at each end and then used a dremel fitted with fine blade

I thought I'd tried every Dremel tool I could think of but what exactly is a "fine blade"? Do you have a Dremel P/N?

Thanks for your time.

Dan

trevor v

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:33:36 pm »

A thin diamond cutting disc

roedj

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 01:19:01 am »

A thin diamond cutting disc

I must admit I never thought of using a disc.

I'm having enough trouble with drill bits. I'm sure with a disc I can do twice as much damage in the same amount of time.

Thanks for the idea,

Dan

timsenecal

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 05:36:17 am »

on my manley-esk type II, i made a brass template that had about 5 slots in it using a friends mill, and then clamped that in place and used a dremel with a small drill bit like a router to do most of my slots.   I plan to upgrade my laser cut deck template to include two different templates for the two different size holes (upper hull slots versus small bow and stern slots)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 10:33:37 am »

You can also benchfit a template (using basic hand tools- maybe a pillar drill).

reinhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 12:58:07 pm »

Hello there
If you can acquire a copy of Marine Modeller (June 2006, page 27), it outlines the method I used in the build article.  Failing that, the article is reproduced in the latest Traplet publication 'Simply Submarines'.
I hope the info is useful.
Reinhard

roedj

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 03:41:39 pm »

Hello there
If you can acquire a copy of Marine Modeller (June 2006, page 27), it outlines the method I used in the build article.  Failing that, the article is reproduced in the latest Traplet publication 'Simply Submarines'.
I hope the info is useful.
Reinhard

I have "Simply Submarines". The article on the IID was largely responsible for me acquiring this sub in the first place.
Thanks to all for their ideas.

Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.