Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warrior II steam engine build (photos)  (Read 2608 times)

billj

Warrior II steam engine build (photos)
« on: March 04, 2007, 12:34:15 am »

hi, i posted for the first time on here a week or so ago, and said i would post some photos of the Warrior II engine build, i got to the stage of skimming the top and bottom of the cylinder head and also the sliding valve face, these need to be surface ground for a true flat face, i dont have and cant afford a surface grinder so i have decided to make one, this has stopped the engine build for now, but will be well worth the while, i have a website which among other things is detailing the surface grinder build, you may find some thing of interest on my site at  www.metalworking.piczo.com 

first photo shows; the cast iron base, the crankshaft was turned from one piece of mild steel, and shows the bronze split bushes with the bearing carriers.

one piece cylinder head made from mild steel, with 2 x 3/4" cylinders bored to size less 3 thou for lapping
the engine is 7"high x 6"long x 3"wide

the swing heads are bronze with bronze cylinders to run in

there is no castings on this build project, the cast iron base was cut from an old base plate from a bench drill, the rest is made from bits of steel stock, the standards were made from 7/8ths steel pipe, turned to diam then the side slots were milled in to gain access to the swing head pins, the standards will be strengthened by welding some 5mm square steel to run down the outside centre of each leg.  there will be a boiler feed pump which is driven directly off the crankshaft through 2 geared wheels, if you are interested this engine is available in kit form from a j reeves at  http://www.ajreeves.com/home.html

billj

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 19 queries.