Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USS new jersey.  (Read 3416 times)

bikerdude666

USS new jersey.
« on: June 22, 2011, 12:39:17 pm »

Has anyone done a model of the uss new jersey? I could really use some high quality pics to help with some ofthe detailing.

Thanks.

Admhawk

Re: USS new jersey.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:17:40 pm »

What year? I did a photo shoot a few years ago when she became a museum and could do up a Photo CD for you. I'm building her in 1/96, but haven't started detailing yet.

Darren

bikerdude666

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 02:56:20 pm »

Tbh I'm unsure of the year, it's a kit I bought that hasn't got instructions, I've figured out the main bits but the details are tricky. I've got the pictures on the box to go by but they're a bit small.  At a guess I'd say it's mid 80's. Thanks.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 02:58:34 pm »

What year? I did a photo shoot a few years ago when she became a museum and could do up a Photo CD for you. I'm building her in 1/96, but haven't started detailing yet.

Darren

Hi Darren, are you on Skype ?  {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Navy2000

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:45:42 pm »

You can contact Lee Upshaw at Scale Shipyard he is building BB 62 as she was during the Gulf War.

Here is his web sight.
http://scaleshipyard.com/Main%20Pages/main.html

I am building a model of BB 64 as she appeared in the gulf war. I also have taken about 1,000 photos of her as well.

Good Luck

Duane Curtis

xilsoe

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 07:38:49 am »

I built her in scale 1/350: http://iloapp.moller-ilsoe.dk/blog/heliblog?Home&category=10

This is one of the best picture sources I found (Museum ship): http://www.colosseumbuilders.com/john/nj/index.htm

/Jørgen

bikerdude666

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:27:19 am »

Thanks for the links, helped alot. Still got alot of bits leftover that i dont know what they are but it's looking good, just needs a coat of paint now.

Have you got any ideas where i could the correct propellors in 1/350 scale for this model. There's 1 missing from the kit, and they dont look like they'd really move enough water.

bikerdude666

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 11:55:19 am »

Only the 2 outer props are functioning, the 2 inner props are just for show. Do you think ill need some different props to get enough speed out of it? Not sure what mototr to use either, theres a gearbox inside to drive both the props off 1 motor and a mount already fitted for a motor but it looks like it for quite a small motor.

Don't know if anyone else has the kit, its the minihobbymodels kit.

xilsoe

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 12:29:06 pm »

I believe I have read that the Tamiya one will run OK with only the outer props. It was designed for that, but I modified it to use the inner props as well. I believe the performance of your model should be similar as the hulls should be similar.

If nobody else comes up with a better answer, my suggestion would be that you set up the hull using the two propellers and weight the hull down to full weight and try it out to see how it performs?

WLU SSY

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 08:14:52 am »

If your only using 2 shafts, make the inboard shafts run as they have the effect on the rudders.

As with my 1:96 scale New Jersey, when I run her on the outboard shafts only the turning circle almost triples. You will get much better manouvering with the inboards then the outboards.

The Iowa class do not steer well with just the propellers due to the twin skeg stern form.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.