Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: washports  (Read 6928 times)

rats

• Full Mayhemer
washports
« on: May 02, 2006, 11:58:42 am »

I wonder if anyone could explain the purpose of washports as shown on most tugs. What is the difference between washports and scuttles ?
        rats

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: washports
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:56:19 pm »

Scuttles are to let light in. Washports are to let water out! Washports, sometimes known as freeing ports, are usually hinged plates on the lower side of the bulwarks. Their purpose is to allow water that has accumulated on deck (wave coming over the bulwarks etc.) to easily and quickly pass overboard so as clear the deck and not affect the stability of the vessel. Once the water has gone they shut either under their own weight or using springs so that water cannot enter through the hole.  Scuttles are a "proper" name for what most people call portholes.

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 02:08:54 pm »

Thanks colin - but if washports are to let out water why are they half way up the bulwarks and not at deck level ?

cheers  rats

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 02:11:15 pm »

Absolutely right CB, but I've often seen freeing ports called 'scuttles' on plans, don't know where that incorrect usage came from. Is there a name for those gaps under the bulwarks at deck level without the hinged covers that appear on most modern tugs? I've always referred to them as freeing ports, but do they have a proper name?
caution, may contain traces of nuts .....

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 02:16:32 pm »

Rats, all the freeing ports I've seen, whether on tugs or any other type of vessel, have been at deck level, where have you seen anything different? Do you mean the round hole in the bulwarks that mooring ropes pass through at bow and stern? I'm not the greatest expert on nautical nomenclature, but think they are called Panama ports

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 02:17:36 pm »

Any holes half way up the bulwarks would usually be for line handling purposes and have fairleads and maybe bollards mounted inboard of them.

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 02:26:47 pm »

ammo - ?at the moment I am building an Imara ( caldercraft ) ?and the washports are clearly shown half way up the bulwarks but the instructions ?mention that scuppers can be cut into bulwark at deck level if required, hence my confusion with washports and scuppers ! (sorry said scuttles before meant scuppers !)
 ? ? ? ? rats

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 02:48:52 pm »

I built the original MB review model of Imara and the washports were certainly not half way up the bulwarks. Having just had a look at some pictures of various examples of the model these show the washports are hinged half way up the bulwarks and extend down to the belting which is at deck level.

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 03:00:56 pm »

Thanks Colin you were good enough to email me your review of Imara when we were on the old MB site. I have the plans in front of me and the ports do not reach deck level hence the instructions mention of cutting scuttles at deck level if required ? However I fully accept your point that they (washports ) should be at deck level  hence my confusion as to the purpose of washports and scuppers !
                        Cheers rats

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 03:02:48 pm »

Did it again !  Scuppers not Scuttles !!!

anmo

• Full Mayhemer
  • That's unpossible!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 03:17:33 pm »

Rats, I suspect that CB is more of an expert than either of us, so perhaps he tould tell us if the terms 'washports' and 'scuppers' are interchangeable, I think they might be.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 03:29:57 pm »

No Rats, you are quite right, the washports on the model do not quite extend down to deck level. The reason is probably that the washports will shed most of the excess water on deck leaving the remainder to run off through drains in the scuppers (waterways around the outside of the deck) which exit below the belting. I had the same problem on another model without working washports and introduced a couple of small bore drains in brass tube which are set into the deck and discharge under the belting. Should be sufficient to clear rainwater and the odd dollop of water which may come aboard. See picture. Hope you are enjoying building the model.

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 03:49:12 pm »

Cheers Colin  That looks a great way of solving the problem . I am really enyoying the build although the plans are still not to scale - something you mentioned in your original article 17 years ago ! One thing I am doing is taking lots of fotos which one day may be of use to someone else
                                     rats

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 04:56:13 pm »

For what it's worth, during my time at sea, all the ships I have seen had scupper pipes and a six inch(ish) gap between the bottom of the bulwarks and the edge of the sheerstrake to get shot of the bulk of the water in a hurry.
Freeing ports (another name for washports just to confuse things !!)were for the same purpose but seen on smaller vessels, such as tugs, where it was not feasible to have a gap beneath the bulwarks because with their reduced freeboard there was a chance of more water coming in than going out !? ?>:(
Panama leads were the circular- lipped leads fore and aft and I think, midships, for making the 'mules' fast in the Panama canal. Ordinary mooring leads were oblong shaped backed by fairleads
As already said above, scuttles are portholes

regards to all
MikeK

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 10:50:47 pm »

The Freeing or washports dont extend right down to deck level because of the conctruction of the hull to deck.
There is a strengthening plate which runs around the hull where the deck is attached.
This "Stealer Plate" gives substantial strength to the deck/hull joint, especially in riveted ships.
I allows a run of rivets above the deck.
The "Scuppers" are drains on each deck to allow water to drain from these "Stealer Plates" which are on every deck.
Full size ships have the deck inside the hull and superstructure which is the strongest way to make a steel box, which is all the superstructure is.
Even modern warships have this plate which extends about 2 inches above any deck, this allows a full weld to be used.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 11:02:24 pm »

Hope this helps ;)

john e

bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 12:01:26 am »

I would like to thank everyone for taking time to answer something that has been bothering me for a while ! also to Bluebird for posting the drawing which explains everything
                         cheers rats

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 08:54:15 am »

Hey John - you still got the old ship construction books lying around ? Not long since I consigned mine along with Nicholl's Concise Guide and Nicholl's Seamanship etc to the city dump. That drawing you posted prompted too many memories of sitting in college trying to stay awake in a ship construction lecture, after a good lunch time session at the Westoe pub.  ::) Ah memories
best regards to all
MikeK

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 01:03:32 pm »

... What about The County Pub - beef stotties, not only day - but also NIGHT CLASSES!!! when everyone going for a pint = there was you going to get your heed stoved in with some nutter going on about rivetting and welding? ;D? Aye, visited the Marine and Technical College about a couple weeks ago - now changed its name - and there are bunches of hooligans running up and down the corridors.......all the display cases with the ships in have had to be moved, cause of the idiots trying to smash them.

Aye
John E
BLUEBIRD
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 05:34:10 pm »

And just to confuse things even more fishermen call the freeing ports Scuppers. We had freeing ports with gravity closing doors , one each side at midships and about 18" long by 12" high hinged about 8" up , and a series of "scuppers" which are nothing more than oval holes in the side plating at deck level in our case they were 8" long by 4" high in the middle. This was on my families 87ft sidetrawler that was the last rivetted vessel build at the John Lewis shipyard in 1969.

Thought i'd ad my ha'pence's worth in case anyone see's original fishing vessel drawings and sees scuppers instead of freeing ports lol.

Davie
Davie Tait,
Scotland

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 06:26:20 pm »

Who would have thought that a few  drain-holes in the side of a ship could have so many variations on a theme. Anybody know why the Monkey Island got so named ?? (I don't - nothing to do with British West Hartlepool presumably ?) You could start a whole new theme on nautical terminology and its roots.
Sad to hear about the Marine and Tech College, John - I suppose it's full of snotty kids doing things not even vaguely nautical. It's mostly only foreign students taking their tickets now 'cos the British Merchant Navy is breathing it's last anyway. Forgot about the County, another fine watering hole.
regards to all
MikeK

Bob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 10:54:52 pm »

I liked this discussion - really does bring back memories. Engineers dutymess, chartroom table, crankcase corner, one couldnt see the bar room floor for chainblocks big spanners and cargo plans. Magic

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2006, 08:32:24 am »

I liked this discussion - really does bring back memories. Engineers dutymess, chartroom table, crankcase corner, one couldnt see the bar room floor for chainblocks big spanners and cargo plans. Magic

Bob, as long as you don't like it  enough to get the itch to sign on again. Must go, I've got to get the salt brushed off my epaulettes !!
MikeK

Bob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 10:47:41 am »

No MikeK the old hull wouldn't pass survey now. A man only has memories and small ships(toys) to play in the pond. cheers

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2006, 08:39:33 pm »

Sorry Bob, been away for a few days and just catching up with the forum now. Ditto on the survey and as far as the memories go - you only remember the good bits, I prefer to be a boring old fart and pick holes in nautical movies on telly now rather than do the real thing ! and a good day at the lake of course
Cheers
MikeK
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.