Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm procrastinating......  (Read 3932 times)

rmaddock

I'm procrastinating......
« on: June 25, 2011, 11:56:51 am »

I'm procrastinating......

.....and it's all your fault!  >>:-(

I'm currently on a one year PGCE primary teaching course.

What I'd like to be doing today is making progress with my Nobby.

What I should be doing is pointlessly writing a 4,000 word report on some pointless research that I've been obliged to do because, as you know, real teachers do lots of academic research all the time.

What I'm actually doing is wasting time on here.

Now leave me alone and let me get on with my work!  %)

Robert.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: I'm procrastinating......
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:14:17 pm »

What I should be doing is pointlessly writing a 4,000 word report on some pointless research that I've been obliged to do ....

That's what you ARE doing. Research...

Just ask us any question, and we will provide half-a-dozen mutually contradictory opinions on any subject from Piaget to Watson...

rmaddock

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:20:34 pm »

Just ask us any question, and we will provide half-a-dozen mutually contradictory opinions on any subject from Piaget to Watson...

Why didn't I think of that? I've wasted all that time reading all those ditch-water-inspired text books and scholarly articles and I could have just asked you lot. Hey ho.  {-)

Only about 1,000 words to go now.  <:(

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:47:21 pm »

Pity you're not doing Computer Science. The famous SciGen paper generator (link: http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/ ) will automatically generate an apparently meaningful Computer Science paper, complete with references and biography, and has actually created papers which have been accepted for conferences....

For your application, the nearest auto paper generator I know is this one:  http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo   (scroll to the bottom and click on 'link' to generate another paper...)

This generates a typical piece of post-modernist nonsense, suitable for an Art, Philosophy or English Lit. course. I have not looked - there may be a variant designed for Edu. courses by now...

There is no truth to the rumour that this is how I got my degree.......   :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

rmaddock

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 01:55:47 pm »

Pity you're not doing Computer Science. The famous SciGen paper generator (link: http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/scigen/ ) will automatically generate an apparently meaningful Computer Science paper, complete with references and biography, and has actually created papers which have been accepted for conferences....

For your application, the nearest auto paper generator I know is this one:  http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo  (scroll to the bottom and click on 'link' to generate another paper...)

This generates a typical piece of post-modernist nonsense, suitable for an Art, Philosophy or English Lit. course. I have not looked - there may be a variant designed for Edu. courses by now...

There is no truth to the rumour that this is how I got my degree.......   :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Nice!  :-))

Why weren't those around when I did my IT degree all those years ago?
Back then, I shared the course with a number of chaps who not only copied each others' essays but photocopied each others essays.....and seemed to get away with it.
My problem is an overburden of conscientiousness  :embarrassed:

I'm now busy (in 500 words) concluding that my research is totally rubbish and didn't answer any of the questions that it asked. Hey ho. %%

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 02:14:43 pm »

do what i and all my mates did, 40 years ago when we were in your position, put it to one side and go look for inspiration at the bottom of a beer glass, lol

rmaddock

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 02:27:19 pm »

do what i and all my mates did, 40 years ago when we were in your position, put it to one side and go look for inspiration at the bottom of a beer glass, lol

Nice one!  :-))

Unfortunately, that's pretty much been what I've been doing for several weeks now.  :embarrassed:  This is the last minute inspirational bit....but without the inspiration.

Only the 300 word introduction to go now.

It's just lucky that the Cumbrian weather outside my office window is currently grey and somewhat damp...normal as we call it up here.  8) Otherwise I'd have more trouble being confined up here.  My course runs from January to December so we'll be getting a big summer holiday soon and I intend to do LOTS of modelling.

My wife's just got back with Thing 2 from his piano lesson (how middle class eh?) and that sounds like a good excuse to STOP for now. Queue sunshine! Bah.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 02:46:12 pm »

What sort of boat is a Nobby? Piccies please.  :-))
Don't Assume Check

rmaddock

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 02:51:10 pm »

What sort of boat is a Nobby? Piccies please.  :-))

Nobbies are traditional sail fishing boats from the waters around Morcambe Bay in the North West of England.

This one is the one I want to semi-scale model.  She's called the Hearts of Oak and was built in the town in which I live (Ulverston) in 1912.  She had various jobs including as a pilot boat for one of the local steel works.  She has, in the last decade, been restored by a trust and that it how you see her now.

There is an owner's association with more pictures: http://www.nobbyownersassociation.co.uk/

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 07:36:01 pm »

Oh dear. And here was me thinking that a thesis of one sort or another had to be produced by the author of said thesis. perhaps the word "Plagiarism" should be removed from all dictionaries. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 07:41:18 pm »

I wish you well with your studies and your boat it looks like a very nice project.

My 33 year old daugher, mother of two, is just finishing her nursing degree and has just handed in her 10,000 word treatise on record keeping. Apparently my input of 'stuff them in the filing cabinet' was not much use  %%

All the best
Don't Assume Check

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 08:23:48 pm »

Oh dear. And here was me thinking that a thesis of one sort or another had to be produced by the author of said thesis. perhaps the word "Plagiarism" should be removed from all dictionaries. BY.

I'm not sure that using a context-free grammar generator ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Context-free_grammar  )can be described as plagiarism. The generated paper will be the work of the person who generated it, and no other similar copy will exist in the world....   %)  %% :}

Whether there is any MEANING in the paper is, of course, a different question....

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:39:10 pm »

What a lovely hull shape. And I love the photo with all the ladies on board!

rmaddock

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 01:11:26 pm »

What a lovely hull shape. And I love the photo with all the ladies on board!

It is a fantastic picture, isn't it?  I think it must be when she was first launched.  There's another old photo labelled as "launch day" of her being manhandled down a shingle bank.
Ah....here it is....

I was wondering about having a few ladies in dresses and hats aboard the model.

rmaddock

FINISHED!
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 01:33:40 pm »

Hooray!
I've finished! All 4k words of it.
Never has so much drivel been written by so few......... {-)

The long Build

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 01:47:54 pm »

Wait untill you have do do a 25 k thesis  %%

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 04:06:42 pm »

In response to replies above:
This must prove the theory of the Phd, better known as "piled higher and deeper".

One of my tutors was questioned about marking of these tomes. His reply was "Oh, I don't read them. I go to my staircase and throw them". The theory being that the heavier versions would travel the greatest distance. "Four stairs is a "C" grade, 5 may give you a "B" and 6 or more is likely to be an "A"".
The alternative description given by a lecturer " Education? The greatest con trick devised by mankind for use on mankind". It should be pointed out that he was a very practical electrical engineer who never could stand waffle and b.s..

All tongue firmly in cheek (of course).

rmaddock

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 06:21:36 pm »

A thesis? Shoot me if I ever suggest it.  <*<
My tutor today, whilst looking over my work, tolf me she thought I'd be back soon to do a Master's degree as I was "already thinking at that level".  I refrained from voicing my true feeling on that thought.  ;D

As to it's being a con trick, I couldn't agree more.

In order to be a classroom teacher, I'm required to do masters level research work. Why? I'm never going to do any in reality.....not while the drugs keep working anyway. This is in preference to us learning more about day-to-day practical teaching. We're lucky to be studying this year. Next year it'll cost people three times as much and the practical part of the course is being slashed. Many of the lecturers are uncomfortable that lessons such as maths, science and english will be reduced in college by (if I've got my figure straight) at least 50% in favour of more theoretical stuff.

My training, originally, I was a very practical computer programmer and I certainly struggle to see the point of the hoops I'm being made to jump through.

Spook

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »

I'm going to procrastinate...

... but not just yet.

Nice project by the way. It looks very similar to the old Bristol Channel pilot cutters (before my time I hasten to add).

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 01:12:49 pm »

I thought plagiarism was when you copied just one persons' work, if you copy several then it becomes research.

As far as procrastination goes just take your time, there is always someone on line.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.