Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Yarmouth Modified Type 12  (Read 10905 times)

mikearace

HMS Yarmouth Modified Type 12
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:31:44 pm »

Over the last few weeks I have started my build of HMS Yarmouth Type 12 which is based on the Cammett Hull.

So far I have:

Rubbed down hull and made good where there are imperfections in the hull.

Openings drilled out and filed to size.

Prop shafts fitted

A frames fitted

Rudder posts fitted

Underwater detail such as machinery space grills fitted.

Made and fitted the bilge keels.

Made and fitted the Stabiilisers.

mikearace

Re: HMS Yarmouth Modified Type 12
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 01:33:59 pm »

Next job was to fit the porthole eyebrows which was fiddely but a worthwhile extra piece of detail. 

mikearace

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 01:44:26 pm »

I have build the battery box and receiver shelf etc and was going to fit today and try a test run of the shafts but I thought id do some work today in the comfort of the house instead so I have gone a litttle bit out of sequence and started to do some of the basic work on the bridge.  I hope to have the bridge assembly with the GD platform that adjoins it done at basic level of the next couple of days with the extra detail to be added at the appropriate time.  The internals can wait until next weekend.  

The etched brass sections of the bridge have gone together better than I was expecting and is very lightweight so hopfeully when painted it wont look too bad and will keep the top weight down a bit and help give a more stable sail.

mikearace

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:50:06 am »

Motor shelf is now in situ with the motors and couplings in nice and straight but with the battery box only temporary located but I havent bonded the box in yet as I want to do some float testing to make sure its in as good a position as possible for ballast and for access.  One access hatch will eb the hangar over coamings and the other will be located by making the deck area around the Maing GWS Director or the GD and Bridge deck removable.   Bridge is completed apart from the bridge roof which will be added later at painting stage.  I am in two minds whether to furnish the bridge interior or not.  It does look neat when completed but once its sealed its a "xxxxx" to see anything!! I have also made up the GD platform that butts onto the rear of the bridge.  Pics of this latest work will be posted later.

mikearace

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:52:50 pm »

Just a couple of more folds to make on the GD platform but its doesnt look too bad when mated behind the bridge.

mikearace

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:56:53 pm »

Well made some more progress made over the weekend.

All the internals are now in place - rx, rudder servo, ESC's and Batteries.

Everything has been wired up and checked the weight distribution in the bath and its level with the internals placed where they are in the pics. Some little bit of more ballast will be required to get her at the very limit of her waterline but I will do that later. After the float test I stiched her on, set up the ESC's and tried the engines. Relieved that there were no glitches with the ESC's and they worked nicely in unison using the Y lead with one of the BECs disabled. Even feathering the props with just a light touch of ratchet they do turn over equally from an eyesight perspective so hopfully she will sail okay when the props turn over in the water. I havent yet linked the rudders to the servo but that will only take a few minutes. Also need to tidy ub the wires as they are chaos at the moment but nothing a few wire ties wont cure.

For access I am going to have a small hatch over the rudder tubes that flits flush on the QD, the hangar will be on a coaming to lift off which will provide access to motors and there will be a further opening on the bridge deck. Havent quite decided on where this will start and end but will figure that out when I start cutting out the deck plastic and try the bridge and GD platform on for position.

I have also made a start on the support ramin beams on the foc'sle - I will put a small plastic card lip just under the FG rounded deck edge of the hull to make it a smooth fit and to give a base for any filler required between the joints.

mikearace

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 09:04:56 pm »

Decided to start to build the hangar but had to give it a lot of thought as it isnt a bog standard 'traditional' square box type housing. There are a lot of angles, nooks and crannys curved edges and so forth. Used the plan to make templates as shown below:

Normally for a square box I would build it round the coamings to get a nice snug fit but the shape precludes this. I have measured the width against the hull and the hangar coamings will be an exact fit against the deck edges of the rounded side of hull moulding if that makes sense so it will be easy to make the deck opening it that makes sense. Well it makes sense to me now but I might have an oh my god what did I do moment later in the build!!!

As the plan shows starboard view, plan view, hangar end looking forward but not port of hangar lokoking aft there are some prrts that cant be done by template but will need to be 'sized' as the build progresses.

Having cut the templates I have made a start, commencing with the roof and also internally a former the sahme shape as the roof. Having cut this then attached the first side and so forth.

After a few pieces cut and glued the basic shape is starting to come together.

A bit rough and untidy and obviously a lot of sanding and cleaning up to be done but fairly pleased so far. I will leave it 24 hours now to fully set before starting the port side and then forward end of the actual hangar and then the platform that supports the emergency steering position and whip arials.

pugwash

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 10:23:17 pm »

Coming along well Mike - I will contact you when you get back from "up North" to pick your brain about the access hatches.

Geoff

mikearace

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 12:53:57 pm »

Making some progress on the hangar superstructure over the last couple of nights.  The basic structure is now completed and I have started on the detail although there is a long way to go.  Started with the hatches and the secat director housing and also the aft mast. 

Going to start on the air conditioning units and vents later today assuming its still raining and some super detailing of fuse boxes and telephone exchanges etc.  .  Whoopee.  No need to be dragged round the shops by SWMBO.

Have also made some progress on the decks in that I have now got most of the deck bearing beams installed and all decks apart from the furthermost focsle and the QD are now cut to size ready to be permanently placed. 

Still a long long way to go but she is starting to resembe a little bit a Type 12.

mikearace

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 09:49:36 am »

Due to family business I wasnt able to make much progress this week but I did manage to spend a bit of time on her yesterday but the few hours of work I did seem to make her look as if I spent a lot more time than I actually did!!

Although the foc'sle and QD were roughly cut they needed a fair bit of timming and I had to finish installing the support beams for the QD.   These are now done and the fit isnt too bad - will just need a little bit of filler to bridge any gaps and some sanding to fair in the deck with the edge of the hull.  The Midships bridge deck was cut but I hadnt made the cut out aft to wrap around the funnel.  This is now done.

I still have to make two cut out access openings for the batttery tray and the tiller arms and I will do these over the next couple of nights.

Gave her her first float test this morning - watertight which is the first concern.  She is also fairly level and stable at this point but obvioulsy riding a little high at the moment sitting below the lower WL marked position and there is a lot of weight to go on yet.  However even though this weight of fittings will add to the top weight I think she will have enough margin to be ballasted down to be stable on the water.  Time will tell!! 

Having cut out the decks I have dried fitted all the bits I have done so far and I dont think she is looking too bad so far.  Looking more and more like a Type 12 and starting to show some of those gracious lines I always thought the type 12s had.

mikearace

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 05:02:36 pm »

Havent had the chance to do too much over the last 3 or so weeks due to other commitments but the last week has given me the chance to make more progress.

All the decks are fully done now. 

The funnel is permanently in place and the deck housing and watch station for'd of the funnel is made and in place and the bulkheads around the waist and funnel boxed in.

Breakwaters are now in place and anchor chain handling plates are on.

The limbo well deck is now being boxed in with only the starboard side to do which I will complete tomorrow.

I will also make a start on the mast fittings tomorrow and do some further detailing of the hangar.  The mast is a bit daunting as there is a large amount of brass work on it for yards and ECM arrays and ladder rungs etc but hey ho I will see how it goes.

All in all its starting to look more and more like a ship in refit and is becoming more and more recognisable as a Type 12 Frigate.  Not ever going to be museum quality I know as I fall into the category that someone a lot more talented than me said was the 90% of modellers who blame suppliers for faults rather than themselves!! 

pugwash

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 08:11:12 pm »

She is coming along very well Mike. I think there is a go-slow at the Amble dockyard as am still working on Leopards hull

Geoff

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 12:12:06 am »

Nice work.  :-))

If you could post bigger pictures would show it up even better.

mikearace

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:20:23 am »

Noted.  I will put them on larger when I next update.

mikearace

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 03:43:28 pm »

Had a bit of a gap in building due to holidays which is sad but the copious amounts of Mythos beer made up for the sadness in being away from home (!!).

Got back to the building this week and decided to make a start on the foremast mast and got quite a bit done and quite pleased with how it is turning out. Needs some cleaning up but hopefully the finished results will look decent once cleaned and painted and in place on the mast house.  Still got some more detailing to do on the main mast but it is getting there overall and more and more looking a litte bit like what she is supposed to look like.  

And as it is sadly raining and I am heartbroken I cant help SWMO in the garden I will also have a couple of hours in the garage later this afternoon and return to the hull detailiing which will be the Limbo well includng the Limbo ramp and Limbo platform.  Tomorrow I will complete the foremast building and with luck spend some time on finishing the smaller mainmast yards.  

madrob

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 04:02:54 pm »

The crazy Y is on my build list too
looking foward to seeing the rest

LarryW

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 05:36:49 pm »

HI MIKE,     TYPE 12   is looking great,    looked at motor set up on small pic what set up are you using ,
        would like to use it on my  HDML IF IT will work.......LARRY......

mikearace

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 06:35:23 pm »

2 MFA 500 motors and two Mtronics 15a ESC

pugwash

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 10:55:28 pm »

Hi Mike glad to see you are back in harness after your holidays - mast lookings really good.
Seeing all the yardarms reminded me of being up there painting them - It was always the
signalman's job and no safety harnesses in those days.

Geoff

mikearace

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 11:02:02 pm »

Yeah thats one reason I joined as a Scribe!!

mikearace

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »

Well one step forward and two steps backwards!!

I have put a couple of hours or more in over the last week and added some more detail and so forth.  Hatches, WT doors, Limbo well detail, scupper foot rails etc and thought it was making progress.

Then disaster.  An Irish Setter did what Argy Mriages and Skyawks couldnt and destroyed the fore mast!!  Much remedial work to be done as etched brass and a hard floor dont mix.  Careful straightening and bending back into place is required.  The wife would have gone if it was her but I do love my dog so thats life.

Subject to mast repairs will progressing to main hull and SS painting over the next two weeks or so

mikearace

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 04:16:43 pm »

Well a few other bits and bobs done here and there but the main progress is starting on the main painting. I know some people like to go for the exact chip colours for exact likeness and hard to knock that but me being a bit of a philistine I always think that Halfords Grey Acrylic is close enough for me to resemble grey funnel line ships. Just got to the first coat of the main hull but its coming on and looks better even with just one coat. The mast, Hangar, and Director will be painted seperately. The decks will also get the Halfords Acrylic Grey treatment but then will be over painted with darker Humbrol Acrylic Dark Sea Grey to be as close to a 1970s 80s deck colour as possible and will hand brush this on. The remaning fittings such as davits and ships boats etc will be painted then added.   4.5 will be the last bit to put on her other than stanchions.  Another few weeks and she should be completed. I think!! I hope!!!

LarryW

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 04:22:34 pm »

HI MIKE,    REALLY COMING ON,    its the bit that really gets me going ,  are you going to weather the boat ........LARRY.....

mikearace

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 04:24:25 pm »

Havent decided yet. When she returned to Rosyth after the Falklands she was very heavily rusted so I may do.  Jurys out at the moment.

farrow

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2011, 09:45:15 am »

What ever how you paint her she looks superb, looking at your model takes me back years to when I was a boy and I used to see these vessels coming and go from Chatham Dockyard from viewpoint on Gillingham coal pier. Look forward to see more updates on the build.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.