Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Health & Safety ! Not here in 1936  (Read 3252 times)

The long Build

Health & Safety ! Not here in 1936
« on: June 20, 2011, 11:38:54 pm »

Just doing a bit of research for a site  on the "Fairhaven" lake Lytham St Annes and came across this, by a Geoff Cunliffe

(The annual regattas went on and all sorts of funny things happened)
In 1936, Lytham St.Annes Corporation stopped running its trams. They had the problem of getting rid of them so their bodies were taken to Fairhaven Lake and they were set up as a castle with girders and Hessian prior to them being set alight as part of the spectacular firework and bonfire display for the 1936 Regatta.

It was an extremely hot September afternoon but, to be sure these trams went up as the grand finale of the firework display, the Highways Department pumped petrol on to them all afternoon and you could see flammable vapours fuming off continuously.

Eight o’clock; the regatta was on, a flotilla of decorated boats had come past and the announcement was made that the Mayor will now set fire to the castle. The Mayor stepped forward with a flaming torch to start the fire and there was a tremendous explosion. The Mayor emerged from hospital five weeks later although the rest of the civic dignitaries who were further away were merely blown flat on their backs!

Everybody who had taken part in the carnival, in their full kit, jumped into the dinghies and paddled across from the landing stage to try to help. The girders in the former tram bodies were white hot with the heat whilst rockets were showering down everywhere. Next thing, there were ambulances screaming down the car park.

The blaze itself was a sensation, and my witness tells me that everyone else thoroughly enjoyed it!

Taken from

http://www.fairhavenlake.com/web/2010/11/15/the-1936-explosion/

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Health & Safety ! Not here in 1936
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:46:30 am »

If you're going to give something a Viking funeral, make it a VIKING FUNERAL.
I'll be seeing Geoff later on today, he will be pleased to hear that someone has found the website.  The island is still there, a good brew to be had in the cafe.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 11:21:31 am »

H & S circa 1900 at Fairhaven.  This is "our" bit of the lake way back then, the bit referred to in the article is away to the right of the picture which is from Geoff's archive.  He was quite pleased to find that someone had seen the site, and sent the picture.

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 06:39:58 am »

what a good find the website is, I've never seen it... thanks for the link.

The lake is well worth a visit in any weather and at any time of the year...I can recommend it, beware the pay and display off road parking along the sea front.

don't feed the ducks... its a hanging offense...apparently !

2 of my pics vintage 2005...could be on the website in ... er ... about 50 years or so  :D

XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 07:14:47 am »

That story is so funny in its own little way.

I am sure that today there would be a queue of people trying to sue for PTSD, broken fingernails and everything in between.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:35:33 am »

talking health and safety,.................. with eight days to go to the Loch Ness sail, last night I received an email From British Waterways to say that as we are using the pontoons to "moor" our boats, we will have to fill out four forms for the British Waterways, and fill out a risk assesment sheet, plus show third party insurance for the stalls that "We" are setting up at start and finish points.

Baring in mind that we will have 3 lifeboats on scene at the time, and that we as a group aren't setting up anu stalls at all, WTF is going on in this world...........I mean I informed these people of this event LAST NOVEMBER, why didn't they tell me about this last year????? <*< <*< <*<

looks like it'll be easier for us and our boats to parachute down onto the Loch from a helicopter so that we don't touch the shore, lol.....anyone know a pilot in the USAF Chinook corp, lol >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

scoop

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:45:08 am »

Just doing a bit of research for a site  on the "Fairhaven" lake Lytham St Annes and came across this, by a Geoff Cunliffe

(The annual regattas went on and all sorts of funny things happened)
In 1936, Lytham St.Annes Corporation stopped running its trams. They had the problem of getting rid of them so their bodies were taken to Fairhaven Lake and they were set up as a castle with girders and Hessian prior to them being set alight as part of the spectacular firework and bonfire display for the 1936 Regatta.

It was an extremely hot September afternoon but, to be sure these trams went up as the grand finale of the firework display, the Highways Department pumped petrol on to them all afternoon and you could see flammable vapours fuming off continuously.

Eight o’clock; the regatta was on, a flotilla of decorated boats had come past and the announcement was made that the Mayor will now set fire to the castle. The Mayor stepped forward with a flaming torch to start the fire and there was a tremendous explosion. The Mayor emerged from hospital five weeks later although the rest of the civic dignitaries who were further away were merely blown flat on their backs!

Everybody who had taken part in the carnival, in their full kit, jumped into the dinghies and paddled across from the landing stage to try to help. The girders in the former tram bodies were white hot with the heat whilst rockets were showering down everywhere. Next thing, there were ambulances screaming down the car park.

The blaze itself was a sensation, and my witness tells me that everyone else thoroughly enjoyed it!

Taken from

http://www.fairhavenlake.com/web/2010/11/15/the-1936-explosion/
Nice to see nothing has changed, how often do we see civic dignitaries get a bit of a 'roasting' in the press these days  :o Looks like a nice place for a bit of IC racing to boot  :}
Scoop

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 01:38:20 pm »

Looks like a nice place for a bit of IC racing to boot  :}
Scoop

Nope..not a good idea I'm afraid, that would be nearly as bad as feeding the swan's !

One chap did set up a small business on Fairhaven Lake hiring out those water ski bikes or whatever they are called...? didn't last very long...some of the locals complained about the racket, didn't blame them myself, apart from the noise it was disconcerting if you happened to be paddling a canoe or be pop pop popping about in a 3 mph motor boat when one came whizzing past, oh no... look out for the wake :o  yes I've done all those, didn't get around to a sailboat unfortunately...too late now I reckon, drat ! :((

Never mind... :}

J.

Water ski bike.... Jet Ski ?... is that right ...
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)

scoop

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:45:49 am »

Nope..not a good idea I'm afraid, that would be nearly as bad as feeding the swan's !

One chap did set up a small business on Fairhaven Lake hiring out those water ski bikes or whatever they are called...? didn't last very long...some of the locals complained about the racket, didn't blame them myself, apart from the noise it was disconcerting if you happened to be paddling a canoe or be pop pop popping about in a 3 mph motor boat when one came whizzing past, oh no... look out for the wake :o  yes I've done all those, didn't get around to a sailboat unfortunately...too late now I reckon, drat ! :((

Never mind... :}

J.

Water ski bike.... Jet Ski ?... is that right ...
Yep Jet Ski is right..............I'm wondering if the locals complain about the racket made by lawnmowers (approx 110 db) strumming away at 9.00am on a Sunday morning...drowing out the church bells (????? db).....bet they don't, 'the noise' is just an excuse cos they can't think of owt else to moan about  :}
Scoop

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 10:17:24 am »

Yep Jet Ski is right..............I'm wondering if the locals complain about the racket made by lawnmowers (approx 110 db) strumming away at 9.00am on a Sunday morning...drowing out the church bells (????? db).....bet they don't, 'the noise' is just an excuse cos they can't think of owt else to moan about  :}
Scoop

Thanks, memory fades a times !
The aformentioned 'locals' are not the ordinary sort mind you...probably have a gardner to do the strimming etc...if you get my 'drift' !!!

As for I.C. on a suitable lake, there is one not far away...
Hope this link works ok, it should do...some of the vids might look out of date but its active on two seperate parts of the lake, take a look around, its good  :-))

J.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0dsBUWhvGE

P.S. I have some more photo's of Fairhaven Lake, there's one I'd like to post...if I can find it  %)

Just right for the duck project I've seen somewhere on the forum, its not a bath duck but might fit in...have to catch the duck first to measure up for the design...  :D

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 10:56:45 am »

Definitely no IC models on the lake according to the terms of our licence from the council. 
I was sailing there in the jetski days.  They made the lake all but unusable for anybody else due to the waves created, and there was considerable wave action left over for a good half hour after they packed up for the night.  That kind of power in a shallow lake just doesn't work.  One of the few occasions that I was pleased about the blue rinsed biddy brigade.

scoop

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 09:14:13 pm »

Thanks, memory fades a times !
The aformentioned 'locals' are not the ordinary sort mind you...probably have a gardner to do the strimming etc...if you get my 'drift' !!!

As for I.C. on a suitable lake, there is one not far away...
Hope this link works ok, it should do...some of the vids might look out of date but its active on two seperate parts of the lake, take a look around, its good  :-))

J.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0dsBUWhvGE

P.S. I have some more photo's of Fairhaven Lake, there's one I'd like to post...if I can find it  %)

Just right for the duck project I've seen somewhere on the forum, its not a bath duck but might fit in...have to catch the duck first to measure up for the design...  :D
Already spotted that lake thanks jb, in fact we are in advanced discussions with the local council to hold a race there and have been offered a date this year but it does not fit in with our race calendar....watch out for us next year though  :-)) O0 Our H&S guy has already been up to do a Risk Assessment and it meets our criteria. :} ;)

Regards
Scoop

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:51:50 pm »

Definitely no IC models on the lake according to the terms of our licence from the council. 
I was sailing there in the jetski days.  They made the lake all but unusable for anybody else due to the waves created, and there was considerable wave action left over for a good half hour after they packed up for the night.  That kind of power in a shallow lake just doesn't work.  One of the few occasions that I was pleased about the blue rinsed biddy brigade.

Yes agreed, a totally unsuitable activity for Fairhaven, I was surprised and dismayed when I saw the disruption caused by the Jet skis.

J.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.