Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bit bigger kit than normal...  (Read 3785 times)

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
Bit bigger kit than normal...
« on: September 13, 2006, 11:03:46 pm »

Thought I had better not build anymore of these, would run out of space a bit too quick. Made big mistake of just fitting two seats so can't take the wife and kids and in it, silly me!

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
Re: Bit bigger kit than normal...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 11:08:38 pm »

Now that's something I would like to build...more details please. My future son in law and I were only discussing it last night..

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:47:58 am »

Is that a Caterham 7 ?   I love those cars - and im old enough to remember "The Prisoner" when it first came on tv !

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 09:25:46 am »

Not a Caterham, they are a bit too pricey for me. It's based on one of the 20+ Lotus Seven style kits that are about at the moment. Mine is fitted with a tuned 175bhp Mondeo engine, Sierra gearbox and XR4 diff and brakes. You buy a space frame chassis and g/fibre body panels, fit Sierra hubs and diff and any rear wheel drive engine/gearbox you like. Using performance motorbike engines is very popular (plenty of light weight power, 0-60 in less than 5 secs!) at the moment. Car engines can be anything from 1300 Ford Crossflow to small block V8s.
Great project took about 500 hours. Budget is from about £4K upwards to about £8K depending on engines/interior and how many new parts you use. You end up with a very impratical car which goes like nothing else you can imagine! Everything else on the road seems like it is going so slow, nearer a track car than road plodder!
There is a big show at Donnington this weekend which if you are even remotely interested in this sort of thing is worth going to.

Mine is from a company called MK.
Best forum for a good read and 1st class advice/pics is called locostbuilders.co.uk. It started of for people builing very cheap sports cars but evolved and some very nice cars on there with big budgets.

Email me if anyone wants more pic/info.

Thanks for interest.

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 10:23:07 pm »

Thanks for the info Zetec (is that from your Mondeo too)

zetec

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 08:35:17 am »

The zetec was out of an old Mondeo auto with a "too costly to repair gearbox" fault. The user name I got stuck with when I needed to register to have a look at a site (easy to remember and didn't think I would use it much!) and top lazy to think of a new one for any new forum I join.

Mike_K

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 02:28:56 am »

Is the Westfield 11 still available?  I've always wanted to have one of those.  Can't be considered to safe a ride though here in the States with all of the trucks and SUV's on the road.  Very nice 7.  Must be a blast to drive on a nice day.  I'm uncovering the Sprite this weekend and getting it started.

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 08:11:56 am »

Is it a frog-eye Mike?
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 08:21:39 am »

Is it a frog-eye Mike?
Nothing wrong with your long [very] term memory buddy ;D

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Mike_K

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 06:26:28 pm »

Is it a frog-eye Mike?

No, it's a square body 1967 model.  I had and sold a '59 Frogeye about 5 years ago.  It's getting a bit worn and ratty but I'm holding onto it as a friend of mine has a LeMans coupe bodykit in his shop gathering dust.   I want it.  One of these days he'll get tired of looking at it and I'll buy it from him. 

Mike

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 09:19:53 am »

I asked the question because I had a frog-eye back in the early 60's it was cheap sports car motoring had many happy hours in her. I then had an early Mini Cooper 997cc ( yes I know I said 997cc the early one's were; later they became 998cc) with close ratio gearbox and shorrocks blower went like hell up to about 70mph.Happy days can't get them back but can still enjoy remembering them .I now have a 1800 MGF and of course the Honda Goldwing Aspencade still fun but the roads are not what they were
                    Cheers
                        BobB
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.