Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bustler tug by vic smeed  (Read 8747 times)

mfv1132

• Full Mayhemer
bustler tug by vic smeed
« on: November 22, 2007, 07:21:35 pm »

Can anyone help me to to establish if Vic Smeed  drew up a plan for a Tug named "BUSTLER" i think it was based on a tug of that name built in the 30s.I understand it may have appeared in the Model Engineer or some other model Mag. magazine in the 60s or 70s . Sorry the info. is so sketchy but it is all i have at the moment.

Stavros

Re: Tug plans
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 07:33:29 pm »

Right simple one this you are correct Vic Smeed did do a plan for this tug,right type in Vic Smeed Bustler plan into Google and read all about it
pm sent

Stavros

wideawake

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 07:39:52 pm »

You beat me to it by minutes Stavros!    A quick google on "tug bustler vic smeed" generated a couple of good leads including a previous thread on the forum

http://www.modelboats.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=272&last=1&V=4&SP=332789698792332697368

Cheers

Guy

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:44:35 pm »

Well I was not going to post that thread seeing it was from a rival forum!!!!! so I sent mfv1132 a pm !!!!!!!!

Stavros

wideawake

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:01:23 pm »

I know!   I'd hit the send button before I noticed that it was "the dark side".  Do I get demoted, or flogged round the fleet (given that I'm the junior rank anyway) for my crime?

Actually it's not really a rival forum is it?   I've only found mayhem comparatively recently but it seems to be out on its own to me  :)

cheers

Guy

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 09:20:09 pm »

Oh dear Wideawake, you really must not try to moderate a moderator. you could be subjected to the blue meanies! what you don't seem to realise is that to some, helpfulness is an objective subject that has differant interpretations dependant on geographical location and you are reading the top right hand block of the forum front page wrongly Re A  friendly place.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

mfv1132

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 03:00:53 pm »

Thank you all for your contrbutions to this thread. I can now continue with  my reseach. I don't think the members of modelboatmayhem have let me down in all my enqueries.

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 04:13:14 pm »

Nice to hear that comment we are after all a friendly bunch of |Guys and Dolls

Stavros

murphy1570

bustler tug by vic smeed
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 12:32:36 am »

Hello folks

I was very saddened to hear of the death of Vic Smeed,a thought which I am sure many of us share, I bought a plan of Vics mode of the "Bustler Tug" some 15 or so years ago and would like to try building one now from the plan, I am not new to modelling but relatively new to ship modelling and would like to try and build a radio controlled version of this model using modern techniques/materials, I would be grateful if any member who has built thi model from the plan could give me any help or advice on the building of this model, and any other relevant information associated with it.
Thanks in advance, John.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

nhp651

Re: bustler tug by vic smeed
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:53:11 pm »

i don't know where the hull comes from but i was tempted by a grp hulled little bustler that was on ebay last week, and was going to have a bid until my pooter crashed and i missed the last bids...it went for about 90 quid........anyone on here buy it by any chance.........would have loved it........took me back to my roots.
a great starter model, and great character.
neil.

nhp651

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 08:56:24 pm »

Hello folks

I was very saddened to hear of the death of Vic Smeed,a thought which I am sure many of us share, I bought a plan of Vics mode of the "Bustler Tug" some 15 or so years ago and would like to try building one now from the plan, I am not new to modelling but relatively new to ship modelling and would like to try and build a radio controlled version of this model using modern techniques/materials, I would be grateful if any member who has built thi model from the plan could give me any help or advice on the building of this model, and any other relevant information associated with it.
Thanks in advance, John.

it was a very very long time ago, but can still remember building it...............if you want to give a few questions i'm sure they can be answered.

tony52

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 09:09:51 pm »

The 2011 Model Boats Construction Special features the original 1955 item, on this lovely little tug, with additional content and photographs.

Tony

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 12:43:05 am »

:-))

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 09:26:50 am »

I built one in 1956, no RC then, far too small. 
I did find that it bobs about a lot and probably needs some careful ballasting at extreme ends.  When I went into the RAF in 1957 my father gave it to my sister who was immigrating to Australia, I was not happy about it at the time but understand now.

May be it was the first one in Oz?

A club member has built one 50% bigger and that works very well.
Vic designed some very attractive models and of this type Guardsman springs to mind and looks nice at 22 inches loa.
regards Roy

farrow

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 01:21:07 pm »

Is there not a glass fibre hull available, could be by models by design not sure, but there were several in this class the last to work was the Reward, which was taken over by the RN for oilrig protection work, unfortunately she did not last long in this guise before she was run down and sunk next to the Forth Bridge in thick fog.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 03:08:53 pm »

It used to be available from Nexus, and it came out about the same time as the Cervia hull. Distribution is now handed to Magicalia, however the Bustler hull doesn't seem to be listed any more.

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/browser/347/boat-hulls

Andy

farrow

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 06:21:24 pm »

The hull of the class is still available from Model boats by design, but it is called H.M.T. Samsonia, which is a sister ship of Bustler. I am thinking of getting one and doing it as the Reward.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 08:11:59 pm »

That's not the same thing at all!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 06:17:31 am »

http://www.uboat.net/allies/warships/class.html?ID=356

Bustler. Sampsonia and Reward all same class.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 09:39:44 am »

Let's not get confused here, Vic Smeed's Bustler was a totally freelance harbour tug design and not based on any particular prototype. As subculture says, the rescue tug HMS Bustler was an entirely different design altogether.

As those who have seen the reproduction of Vic's plan in the recent Model Boats Construction Special will know, it is a very simple to build model with all the information needed on the plan itself - no need to buy a hull!

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2011, 02:06:07 pm »

I built one when I was twelve. I modified the design by adding a steerable kort nozzle and an enclosed wheelhouse- looked a little bit like a cross between a Garnock and a Joffre.

I also made it plank on frame using plywood frames and pine strips- needless to say, I needed no additional ballast.

It wasn't a masterpiece, but being so small and agile it used to win all the pots at the steering regattas. Unfortunately it got sunk by a larger boat, and got so waterlogged, I broke it up. 

May build another, as I still have the plan. Think I would use foam and build it in bread and butter, then skin it with light glass cloth. With lipos and miniature radio, the small size is no longer an issue.

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.