Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini speedboat project  (Read 24048 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mini speedboat project
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2007, 01:04:23 pm »

I tried loading my video onto youtube but it kept failing, so here are some stills from the video, bit poor quality,but better than nothing. Andy M.

slewis

« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2007, 09:38:03 pm »

Now THAT looks like great fun !!  When can we form an orderly queue to have a go ?  :D :D

Shane

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2007, 11:34:42 am »

If you come and help me transport it, I will give you a shot. Andy.

Andy D

« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2007, 08:20:25 am »

Hi Andy,
I like your "sit-in" boats - nice designs! I've been putting together rough ideas for a twin keel "sit-in" boat to build in my garage this winter (about 2.5m long by 0.85m beam, and using commercially available mast and sails from a boat such as the Optimist, or the RS Tera, or the Topper Taz), as you are way ahead of me with the boats you have built (Amy), would it be possible either to see your designs or to buy them off you?

The idea of the twin keel design is manyfold: to enable it to sit on the ground without a trailer, to give it lateral resistance when close-haul sailing and to improve stability (especially if I attach lumps of lead to the keels), and to avoid the need for either a single, long, fixed keel, or a lifting centre-board.

Please advise if you need my email address.

cheers, Andy D

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2007, 11:52:01 am »

Hi Andy, I live near Glasgow if you fancy visiting for a look at the boat and/or patterns. I have about 400 jpegs of the build if you are too far away for that. I must admit that the centre keel is a bit more work to fit,but as I scaled the boat up from a model,I wanted to keep it the same. The only reason that I made it removable was so that the hull fitted through my attic hatch as this is where it was built. The yacht is for sale if you want to make me an offer! Andy.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2008, 01:42:07 pm »

Hi everybody, its been a while since i was last on the pc, i have been making my latest boat,which again is a tiddler at 8 feet long. It is based on a Minimax hydro,i have swapped the Evinrude 9.9 from the Viper,but had to convert it to shortshaft to use it on my new one. I have had it for its maiden voyage but the waves were 2 feet high and it coped very well but i never got to try it flat out as the front was slicing the tops off of waves and throwing it straight in my face.Cant wait for a calm day to try it. i will need to resize a photo or two and put them on. Andy M

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2008, 03:41:22 pm »

Here are the photos of my new toy.  Hope you like it. 10 hp can be plenty! Andy M.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

She looks good Andy i just maidened a zippkits hydro witha  full mod zen in it,bit smaller than yours but she goes really well.She handles chop pretty well but i tried her in some rough stuff and although she ran ok if i got above half speed i was lucky and she would also gets wamped a bit too.Heres a vid of her second run and a pic hope you dont mind me posting it?.
Mart
http://s298.photobucket.com/albums/mm248/martno1fan/?action=view&current=rocketthydro2_0001.flv

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2008, 01:15:20 pm »

Nice! I think youve got a bit more power to weight than mine. Mine might go that fast if I jump out! And you stay dry with yours. I hope to have more power soon,i bought an Evinrude 15 a couple of weeks ago for my Viper as i thought it could do with a bit more. I am sure i will try it on my new boat as well.The 15 needs a lot of work and there are a few bits missing but it will be a 50% increase in power,so it will be worth it (if i can get it running!) About 2 months ago,i put an advert in the local newsagents looking for outboards any condition or size,must be cheap. 2 weeks after the advert was taken down,i got a call from a guy asking if i was interested in a Mercury 40. I thought it would be too expensive,but he had been out with it twice in a row conking out both times and got fed up and bought a new fourstroke 15 instead(new 40 was going to be about £7000 he told me) he was going to take the prop and starter off to sell and 'deep six' the rest from his boat. I have rescued it from its fate! It is similar condition to the other motors I have had,so it needs a good bit of work too. Its next after the 15! It is a good bit bigger than my other motors ,my Evinrude 9.9 weighs 35 kg and the Mercury 40 weighs 55 kg. I dont have a boat that would take that weight,and even if it did fit on the Viper without sinking it, it would probably end up a bit dangerous! Or a lot dangerous. I like the smaller engines for ease of transport and fuel economy, 9.9 is 1 gallon per hour flat out, 40 would be 4 gallons an hour. Anybody got any 'dead' Evinrude/Johnson 9.9 or 15 outboards(or Mercury 40) they want to sell/swap for something from my (vast)collection of boats or planes. I noticed my advert was removed from the forum a while ago,i should do another one with less models in it(i had 20+ models for sale). Still waiting to get out in the Minimax,but its been too windy here and Loch Lomond has probably got 3 ft waves, Minimax front edge sits 2 inches above water when planing,slicing wavetops straight into your face in 20 gallon portions,and its still good fun! Used to hate getting soaked on motorbikes,but this is ok. Like the hydro,i might be tempted to do one of them for the Mercury 40,scaled down a bit cos the original of yours probably had a plane engine of some sort in it, 40 horses just wont cut it! Keep on building, just leave some room to move about! By the way,my boat is part recycled using foot from a chest of drawers,part of a cd rack,a bit off a loft ladder, some pushbike cables,bit of inner tube and a bit of a pair of crutches. There are a few other things but I have written enough,its back to scraping seacrust for me,have fun, Andy M.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2008, 06:50:42 pm »

Here is some video of my friend coming a bit too close to shore in my Minimax(note panic in voice) Andy M.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N00Of55g_7o
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.