Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mini speedboat project  (Read 23945 times)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Mini speedboat project
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2006, 11:11:18 am »

...Sorry for poor quality,it was the wife's camera,....! Andy M.

Is this a veiled comment on SWMBO ability to take photos or is it a camera that can't focus ??? ??? ;D ;D

Doug (heading for cover)
Don't Assume Check

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2006, 12:35:38 pm »

How was it on the water then? ???

Martin

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2006, 10:57:19 pm »

Wife did video as well, so I can't complain, it is a poor camera, video made up for it. I must say that it went well on the water,it was not as fast as I had hoped,entirely due to the motor not being a high revving type,I felt that it was getting close to planing ,but I really need a shot of a bigger engine to see if that will do the trick.I don't want to buy a 5 hp outboard then find it needs 10 hp.On the other hand, I don't want a 10 hp if 5 is enough to scare the stuff out of you! The good thing is that I know it floats and copes with fairly big waves with no sense of instability,the seagull engine will do for a while,more suited to taking my daughter for cruises. I am not calling it a speedboat yet , just a boat. I have built it to last,and take bigger engines,either inboard or outboard, and this is reflected in it's weight,but this is mostly low in the hull,so it doesn't roll much. I am very happy with the result, and I think it looks about as good as you can make a 7 foot by 4 foot boat look.It has used up quite a few unusual parts in it's construction and there is a lot of scope for tinkering with it.I was working on my new steering wheel today and it is nearly ready for varnish/paint ,still not sure about finish. I will post photos of it anyway. I also need a good graphic of a viper to finish off me nose(bow). Can't wait to go out again. (Maybe get some decent photos!)  Andy M.   

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2006, 11:19:25 am »

I have finished most of the vital bits and am now starting to experiment a bit. The motor looks at home in there, I just need to sort out the outdrive system.What's the biggest modelling outdrive available?Would it take 8 HP? I know the glider guiders are getting into half scale models,why not boaters? Most of the stuff I have seen for full size boats is too big and heavy.My friend has suggested using nylon as the main casing material,I really wanted it to be able to take my brother's RG250 Suzuki engine,it spat him off and he doesn't like riding it anymore,so it could be available.The only thing is ,that it has been bored to 300cc and tuned,it is well over 30HP and would make the boat a bit more of a Viper! I will use the seagull until I can work out what to do. The bearing cover and steering wheel centre are Nescafe lids, I like to recycle. It's cheap too! Still hoping to get out at the weekend for a cruise. Andy Macyam.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2006, 08:41:48 pm »

I managed to get out on the water today, got some on board video and a couple of photos that were almost the same,so here is the best one. My building/ transporting trolley collapsed due to ratchet straps, so I need to start designing and building another,better one.The water was a bit calmer today and I had a 14 stone passenger aboard with no problems. I will need to save up for a bigger engine to get the performance that I want . Andy M.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 02:51:55 pm »

A couple of photos of the finished steering wheel, I decided to just varnish it to show how it was made. Another coffee jar lid finishes it off nicely. Also in the picture are- auxilliary power unit(paddle) throttle lever and steering pulley. I am now trying to work out how I am going to make the outdrive. Andy M.

[Too Large - attachment deleted by admin]

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 10:13:03 pm »

I have been quite busy over the last month,I have managed to find the ideal engine for my boat,I am still in the process of making it from the two very dead engines that were going to form part of a landfill site.I have done a lot of work so far,but still plenty to do.I have no gurantee that it will run,I am reserving judgement untill I hear it fire up. One of the engines looked as if it had been used to mix cement. Both engines have been used in the sea and are full of what I call sea crust.I will post a 'before' picture soon,and tell you what it is,it's a lot faster than a Seagull anyway.I have also done a couple of model boats in the month before I got entangled with my engines! Keep on building,model or full size as long as you enjoy it. Andy M

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2006, 11:46:38 pm »

Here are the 'before' pictures of my outboard as promised. It is an Evinrude 9.9 made in 1983. Note 'cement' ! I have done a lot of work on it since the photos were taken, I have a couple of threads to be helicoiled and a couple of broken studs to be extracted,apart from these and the parts that broke on disassembly,I think it is going well! I still dont know if the motor is going to run,but I dont see why not ,unless the ignition unit is fried. Everything has been cleaned inside and out. I will post more photos soon. It actually looks better in the photos than it actually was.
Has anyone out there got a dead one of these motors or even a 15 as I would be interested in buying for spares?  Have fun, Andy M       P.S.could you chant 'start you b****** ' for me as I think it really helps.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2006, 10:25:19 pm »

Here's what I have done so far, I need to save up for the bits I need before I can put the internals back in. Until that happens,I have plenty still to do,throttle and steering attachment and fuel tank as well as kill switch. The motor is going to stay on the boat as I don't fancy wading in with it and trying to get it on the transom and get everything connected with it moving about. There is no real rush as I don't really fancy Loch Lomond at this time of year, a decent sized splash would probably put you in shock. It looks a bit more of a speedboat now,the motor takes a bit of the shortness away. I am looking forward to trying my extra power! Hope you like my creation, I will probably build a model of it after I run out of things to do on the outboard. 1/4 scale boat less than 2 feet long. Model style construction, inboard or outboard. Have fun , Andy M

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2006, 04:07:04 pm »

Andy id like to say well done on the build mate i was a time served boat builder some years back and you did a great job.id say the 9 hp outboard will give you good speed i had a 15 johnson outboard on a much larger plywood speed boat some years back that had seats for 5 in it and she got up on plane easy.she also ran faster with a 10 hp mercury engine.the mercury engine was a fantastic engine if you can get one of those on ebay jump on it they are wicked.you might also want to resisze your pics as i see they were too large you can download a free one from windows .well done on the build mate top job  ;).

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 11:05:48 pm »

thanks for the compliment,don't get many of these. most people say I have too much time on my hands! Things are at a bit of a standstill at the moment as I have to save up for outboard spares before I can go any further.I also need a sheared bolt removed and 2 helicoils fitted,not expensive,but too close to christmas for saving.Hope you all got what you wanted for christmas. Have fun, Andy M.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2006, 04:25:32 pm »

I have just replaced the photos that were removed by admin, as they were too large. I hope you like them. Andy M.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2007, 05:07:31 pm »

Here are some of the other projects I have been working on during and after the Viper was being built.The small Miami crash boat was reduced from a free plan and uses the internals from a micro jet ski . Almost as soon as I got home,I had dropped the jetski and broke off one propshaft ,I then grafted on motor units from a Superdrug £5 submarine,but the jetski sat too low in the water and wasn't very well sealed,so this was the donor for my one foot crash boat. There is plenty of power for use in the bath/test tank,dont know the range of the radio but should be okay if you can still see it! The tanker is Shell Welder plastic kit with another toy boat as donor.Motors props and Radio gear for a fiver.I have bigger models that get used a lot less often than the smaller ones do,due to transport.I have two other miami crash boats in the production line at the original plan size of two feet.One will be 400 size motor and the other is getting a 540 sized TMS tornado that survived both buggy racing and attempts to use it for electric flight. They have a lot of work still to be done ,but I will get around to it sometime!

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 05:30:43 pm »

Donor Jetski and another photo of Shell Welder

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2007, 11:42:20 pm »

I don't know why I posted pictures of my Crash boat and the tanker,but I liked them.I am now going to bring the mini speedboat up to date with my latest photos.I am working out what to use for a fuel tank and hopefully I will get the spares I need for the outboard and it shouldn't be too long before I can see if it runs! Andy M.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2007, 08:57:46 pm »

I forgot to mention that the outboard cover is covered with Solarfilm ! It was quite difficult to get a smooth finish,but I managed. Lot less mess than spraying,and no runs! Andy M.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2007, 10:35:19 pm »

A bit more progress on the boat recently. I made up fittings for a 10 litre plastic container which will be my fuel tank,sorted out fuel tube and throttle cable runs so that they can't catch on the steering mechanism. I also fitted the tank firmly in place,but still removable. It will be a bit of a chore to fill it as I have to remove 19 hatch screws to get into the tank bay. I have been told that 10 litres should last at least two hours,my seat padding is not that thick so I may be a bit tender by that time anyway. I helicoiled two stripped threads and my engineering friend got a sheared bolt out for me. Only my spare parts to get,then I can start building the motor to see if it runs, bearing in mind that it is 24 years old now and was probably used as an anchor for some of that. I will try and put some photos on the next time,but it doesn't really look any different,the most noticeable difference will come when the motor is built and the gearbox and prop are fitted,I can't wait, Andy M

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2007, 11:12:30 pm »

Looking good Andy! What size is the outboard and what's up wif it??
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2007, 08:50:02 pm »

It's an Evinrude 9.9 HP and it needs 3 seals,a bolt, a circlip and some gearbox oil. I don't know if it runs yet,it might need more bits,but I hope not. I managed to fit my gearbox onto the rest of the outboard to see how it looked,but there is not really much more I can do till I get the seals etc. It will give me time to try and remember how it all goes back together, I complicated things a bit by putting the bolts from both motors together.I can choose the best ones,but I won't know if I have left a bolt out! Andy M.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2007, 11:44:55 pm »

My parts came for the outboard, I built it up,and it started!!!! It took a bit longer than that,but my 24 year old outboard runs and pretty well, enough to empty a wheelie bin at half throttle! I made up a throttle control to operate it from the cockpit,and still have to make a tickover adjustment fitting and a transport dolly and I will be ready to go,I can't wait! I have made a fitting for my bow,there is probably a nautical term for it,but I don't know what it is. I made it and the throttle lever from laminations of 1/8th brass sheet.I will post a photo or two when I have shrunk them. Andy M

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2007, 12:08:09 am »

Bye Andy, it was nice knowing you.
        You'll be missed....  ;D

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2007, 11:30:29 pm »

Hi everyone,It has been a busy week for me,building a trolley to transport my boat.The last two times I had it out,it was on the building stand,which collapsed when it was all strapped down onto my friends bike trailer.We also had to lift the boat into the water which resulted in a couple of 'dings' in my spray rails. This time,it will be wheeled onto the trailer and the trolley strapped to the trailer.The boat now has fittings to allow it to be strapped to the trolley and wheeled into the water. The trolley has been a project itself, converting a kids chute frame and a swing into my boat transporter. I also ended up using a piece of my wife's steel washing pole which was just the bit I needed! I did check first, and I replaced the section with a bit of Gazebo frame which was the right size but thinner wall, should be ok, but I might be in trouble if it folds with a full load of washing on it! I have re-registered my boat for Loch Lomond (Free,if you dont need new number set!),and hope to get out for a shot with more horsepower than I had with the seagull engine.This is pencilled in for Saturday depending on the weather! I haven't had time to make a soft top for it yet,and I dont want my nice leather seat getting wet! Can't wait, it was a bit disappointing with the seagull, the Evinrude promises to be a bit more like it! I will need to post photos of my trolley, as soon as I get time! If anyone wants to come and watch ,you are welcome and I will take you for a run as well if you are about 10 stone, Have fun, Andy M

omra85

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2007, 08:51:22 pm »

Exciting times for you Andy!  Well done.
Now - Let's see, - you have kids with neither a swing or a slide, a wife with a wobbly washing line and a gazebo that's falling over ::)
I don't think you'll live long enough to test this new trailer ;D ;D
Danny

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2007, 11:35:16 pm »

My daughter got a slide/swing/monkey bar setup for her birthday last year,but she thought she was going to keep the old stuff as well , that will be right, it's booked! Any way, it's a trolley now. Hope the weather improves a bit for my outing tomorrow, might need my waterproofs and some cling film over the leather upholstery,don't want mildew setting in. Anyone care to  have a go at estimating what sort of speed to expect from my boat, not that I expect it to go that fast, I am counting on the fact that you are sitting at water level to give extra excitement. And the fact that the waves will be big compared to the boat.  If I get out tomorrow, I will try and get the photos on as soon as possible,  Andy M.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2007, 10:28:05 pm »

Well, I eventually got to go out in my boat,it didn't happen till 6pm and my wife was going out at 8pm . A bit rushed and i didn't get back till 9pm but I got out.And I didn't sink! The extra weight of the bigger outboard made it sit down a bit at the back but not enough to worry about.My engine performed well. The first try I had in the boat resulted in the bow rising up as I gave it throttle and it wasn't coming down! I could see my spectators doubled up on the shore as I drove about at nearly 45 degrees, I actually got a bit worried that it would flip instead of planing. I went back into the shore and took on 2 x 100 metre drums of cable and stuck them right in front of my feet. I set out again and it was still coming up then the nose started to drop and it was planing! Pretty fast too! The guy that owns the local boatyard thought it was doing 20-25 knots but it is very hard to tell, I don't think it was going as fast as that but it feels quick and is totally stable in flat out turns. The water was really calm and I was the only boat there, I saw 2 fishing boats in the distance and that was it.I gave my engineer pal a shot,my brother got a shot and so did my stepdad. They all came back with big grins. It is fun and pretty fast for 10 hp. Anyone got a 15 Hp Evinrude? Runner or not,I would be very interested. I never got to take any photos myself,but other people were taking photos and video,I did manage to get some on-board footage which looks even faster. Just one small piece of damage to the boat during transport,the steel loop I put on the front of the trolley to tie the boat to,due to bumpy roads,had worn a patch out of me lovely hull, above the waterline,and about 4 feet above it just before it starts planing! I have had a good session but would like a longer shot. Have Fun, Andy M
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.