Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - GLYNN GUEST plan, for the beginner  (Read 38901 times)

jimmy2310

Q & A - GLYNN GUEST plan, for the beginner
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:47:42 pm »

BB,

I have just started the very same model myself yesterday, I have only got as far as making the templates has you have done on your first post and I'm so glad of all the info and pictures you have posted they are going to be a great help to me,
I will try and post pics of my build as I go along

thank you very much

Jimmy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Q & A - GLYNN GUEST plan, for the beginner
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:26:30 pm »

What a great build John.    :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RaaArtyGunner

Re: Q & A - GLYNN GUEST plan, for the beginner, how to print?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:38 am »

What happens if I click on the print button at the end of John's excellent Vosper build.  :-)) :-)) O0 O0

Will it just print all the text,  {:-{

Or text and images.

If not, how do I print out the build sequences as set out by John, with corresponding photos.

LarryW

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 05:06:46 pm »

HI JOHN, what a great build ,   how about HDML NEXT  ?  still ploding on with mine   LARRY....

Cypriana

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 08:33:59 pm »

Hello

Many thanks for a really helpful article.

I have just started this build myself (it will be my first) so the masterclass could not have come at a better time.

Cheers

Kevan

LarryW

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 08:59:08 pm »

HI ARTYGUNNER, just go to top of page click rh mouse print , this will bring in printer dialog choose page set up choose paper then set up set print all with preview  this will show all 145 pages
    hit print then put the kettle on   CHEERS LARRY

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:57:02 am »

HI ARTYGUNNER, just go to top of page click rh mouse print , this will bring in printer dialog choose page set up choose paper then set up set print all with preview  this will show all 145 pages
    hit print then put the kettle on   CHEERS LARRY

Hi Larry,
Instructions were simple,  :-)) but printers have a mind of their own,  {:-{ {:-{ but succeeded in the end, many thanks. O0 O0
Could have also washed the car. {-) {-)
Thanks  again.

LarryW

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 09:26:09 am »

HI  good show , also you wash mine     LARRY.. O0  {-)

scout

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:21:12 pm »

Looks very much like MTB 102 if the rear gun is removed. Great article anyway.  Yours Scout

tica

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 09:21:32 pm »

Looking great  :-))

I'm right now working on the GG Miami tender and this plan is up next  %%

In between I'm working on the MTB 49 Thorny Craft = hard to get information that one.

BR
Carsten
Denmark

murphy1570

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 12:57:33 am »

Hello folks
Does anyone think it may be feasible to use 2mm liteply to sheet the hull sides rather than balsa, any advice critical or otherwise woeld be appreciated.
Thanks all the best,John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:23 am »

hello there,

yes, it will be quite feasible to build this model in 2mm lite ply.   I think the points to look out for would be:

You would have to build the keel up with several layers of lite ply to get the correct thickness, say 3-4 layers.

Also, you may have to double up on one or two of the ribs to make them a little thicker.

Using lite ply for the skin and decks plus bridge would be okay.

I am just about to complete the model of Virgin Atlantic Challenger which is supposed to built using balsa wood.    I opted to use lite ply in its construction.   This has turned out okay.

Just thinking about though, the advantage of lite ply over balsa for skinning is that I was able to use a 2 part finishing epoxy on the lite ply for  the Atlantic Challenger and sand away to me hearts content to obtain the finish on the hull that I wanted without fear of cutting into the timber.   Whereas, if you use the tissue/dope method you have to get this on the hull pretty smooth to begin with and you have to be more precise rather than haphazardous like me.

Aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

murphy1570

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 01:00:40 am »

hello there,

yes, it will be quite feasible to build this model in 2mm lite ply.   I think the points to look out for would be:

You would have to build the keel up with several layers of lite ply to get the correct thickness, say 3-4 layers.

Also, you may have to double up on one or two of the ribs to make them a little thicker.

Using lite ply for the skin and decks plus bridge would be okay.

I am just about to complete the model of Virgin Atlantic Challenger which is supposed to built using balsa wood.    I opted to use lite ply in its construction.   This has turned out okay.

Just thinking about though, the advantage of lite ply over balsa for skinning is that I was able to use a 2 part finishing epoxy on the lite ply for  the Atlantic Challenger and sand away to me hearts content to obtain the finish on the hull that I wanted without fear of cutting into the timber.   Whereas, if you use the tissue/dope method you have to get this on the hull pretty smooth to begin with and you have to be more precise rather than haphazardous like me. The photos of your build

Aye
john e
bluebird
Hello John
Thanks for your reply and advice I will have a go at using liteply for skinning the hull ans also the decks and bridge, but I will stick with balsa for the framework, and follow your excellent buid article in conjunction with the model boats article, I am a relative newcomer to building model boats although I have a bit of experience in building and flying radio controlled model planes from some years ago using these materials, and lI to can be a wee bit heavy handed when it comes to the finer arts of sanding balsa and trying to seal it, and I like your idea of the two part epoxy finish to prepare for painting. I think your build of the Atlantic Challenger look gret and has helped convince me to try the liteply method,
Thanks all the best, John.

Delrod

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 10:11:25 am »

Hi

I have just joined the forum. Have started building the Glynn Guest Vosper and needed some more help, after seeing this I have had all my questions solved. What a great piece of work and very helpful.

I have had the plans enlarged from A1 size to A0 size making the boat just over 36" and making it a about a 1/24th scale. Some challenges but now seeing this will help me even more. I have already made a lot of the details parts even the cowls myself, now just assembling the hull.

Great site and thanks again

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2011, 07:09:42 pm »

hi all glad the build is of some assistance - it was an enjoyable build.   I have noticed though that there are 2-3 pics missing at the end of the completed model.   An oversight by Our Leader when I kindly asked him to watermark the photographs.  So, here are a few pics of the finished model.....

aye
john e
bluedird

vernon

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 07:03:06 pm »

Hi, I have recently retired and have not built models for some time. I am interested in the Vosper MTB but did not get the June 2011 model boat. Can I purchase the plans from the model boat store or are they not available any more.

Vernon

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 08:16:16 pm »

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/34696/model-boats-magazine-june-2011

hi Vernon you can purchase the plan and magazine from Myhobbies store see the link above

aye
john

vernon

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 01:58:16 pm »

Thanks for the info. Obtained a copy no problem. In trying to kit out a set of parts following Glynn's comments I do not seem to be able to get either the Graupner 451/1 propeller or a 267mm prop tube.
I have tried Graupner website and although they list the 450 and 452, I cannot find any reference to the 451. Glynn's comments on the running performance related to this particular prop seems to indicate the need for a 30mm 2 blade prop.
The only prop tubes I can find are 254 or 280mm versions. I realise that i could adapt the 280mm but as a first model for some years I am trying to make it an easy start.

Can anyone throw any light on the subject or offer alternatives.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 02:25:02 pm »

Hi vernon
can i ask which method of motor installation you are going to use - is it the one that Glyn used in his build using a solid coupling or are you going to use a flexible coupling as in the build I did ?

aye

john

vernon

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 03:05:17 pm »

John

Thanks for replying. I have just started to read through the build notes outlined on this site and see the alternative mounting which I presume allows for the use of a 227mm prop shaft using a flex coupling which is what I will use. It also uses a 3 blade 35mm prop. Is there any particular type as I presume the pitch is critical. I was planning to use a 545 motor.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 06:39:03 pm »

Hi there, what I did was go down to the lake with a few props (I purchased some props of various diameters from Cornwall Models ) they were all 2 blade racing props - Trial and error to get the performance worked for me.   The one I used and got the best performance from was a 2 blade 32mm diameter prop.  The 3 blade prop which you can see in the picture of the build was one of the 'testers'.     Here's the link - I think it would be good for you to do a trial test as well to see which is best for your motor/model.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/propellers_2303.html

aye
john

AndreZS1AZ

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 05:09:11 pm »

Hi folks,
  Just joined this site as I need some help.  Have a Glyn Guest plan for a PT boat, Model Boats 1999.  I have cut the deck, bulkheads, etc.  The plan is not very accurate, but never mind.  I am looking for a supplier of the shaft, propellor and gears.  No hobby shop in South Africa is able to help.  The clubs keep everything secret.  Can anybody help me out here.  Will pay for the items.
Andre   
It is not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 06:18:54 pm »

HI YA

if you have a look at the link for Cornwall Model Boats - they supply all the required bits and pieces for model boating - I am sure they will post to South Africa you know - just click on the link above and it will take you to Cornwall Models website.
http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html
aye
john

AndreZS1AZ

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 07:32:10 pm »

Thanks bluebird,
  I will give those guys a try.  Just a correction, I did not mean that Glynn's plans were inaccurate, I think it was the printers etc. that got it wrong.  Who knows, I might start posting my buils of the PT boat here.
Andre 
It is not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 12:29:10 am »

any idea where to get the plans as the magazine seems to not be selling them now it lists the magazine as 0.00 with no buy button?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.