Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Q & A - GLYNN GUEST plan, for the beginner  (Read 38899 times)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Q & A - GLYNN GUEST plan, for the beginner
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 12:36:28 am »

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

hazegry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 01:26:59 am »

sure does thanks allot.

DavidHughes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 11:01:06 am »

Hi

I have recently got hold of the plans for this - planning to build one over the winter, and try to "up-scale" it a bit...

Had an idea of diagonal planking the hull (ie as per the original construction method), using coffee stirrers or similar (with tissue or glass cloth covering) rather than simply sheeting with balsa...

Would this work do you think?

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2015, 12:20:23 pm »

Hi

I have recently got hold of the plans for this - planning to build one over the winter, and try to "up-scale" it a bit...

Had an idea of diagonal planking the hull (ie as per the original construction method), using coffee stirrers or similar (with tissue or glass cloth covering) rather than simply sheeting with balsa...

Would this work do you think?

Yes   :-))

DavidHughes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2015, 12:31:50 pm »

Am sure I'm just making it harder for myself, but wanted to try it anyway!!'

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 06:29:48 pm »

Hi ya David

May I ask you to err on the side of caution; as when increasing the size of models from Plans and altering the builds; you can run into all sorts of problems.   Maybe not so many problems for an experienced builder, but for a person who is relatively new to the hobby - personally I would advise you to build this model as it (straight from the Plans) and this would enable you to see how the model goes together, how you actually fit up the power drive chain and so forth.   Whereas what you are asking to do - which is quite possible to do - you can start to run into problems.

When you start to diagonally plank like you want to do and also increase the size of the model - you will have to begin to think about putting extra support in - e.g. stringers on the sides and on the bottom - these are strips of wood to support the diagonal planking in the middle of the planks.

Basically this design for this model doesn't lend itself too readily for doing this. So that is why my suggestion is to stick to the plan size for the model and minimise the problems that you are going to create for yourself.

If you are really into this type of style of model - the Marine Modelling International Magazine (last month) did a free plan for an RAF Rescue Launch which I believe Stavro is building.   This is an actual twin motor model and it looks a very interesting build but built of a similar style as Glyn Guest.   Also a while back the same magazine did a free plan for a Vosper MTB semi-scale and this one is the same as the Airfix MTB is.

When you have built your skills up; you then possibly may go on to building from plans such as Vic Smeed's plans/John Pritchard's plans.     Have a look at MyHobbiesStore at the style of plans and also have a look at the MasterClass build and you will see an Air Sea Rescue Launch which I built and diagonally planked.   Also if you do a search you will come across the RTTL which I built.   This is also diagonally planked.

Hope I haven't put you off too much and dampened your spirits but good luck with what you choose.

Last but not least, going back to the Glyn Guest MTB; you can really add a lot of detail to this model and make it look something really nice.  Do a web earch on the MTB  :-))

aye John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer

DavidHughes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2015, 06:45:35 pm »

Hi

Thanks for the info - think I misled you a bit - by "up-scale" I meant detailing it up from semi scale...rather than making it bigger!  Think I got my terminology confused...

I wanted to use a build log I found of the Italeri MTB77 plastic kit as further detail to try and add a bit more realism - adding deck tools, fitting out the bridge etc.  The plans you've highlighted also look really good

Do you think the diagonal planking would work on the basic hull frame (keel, chine-floor and deck) at the planned size (26" I think?) I guess the plank span from keel to chine would be c3 inches?

Don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but also keen to try new things!

BTW - I've just started going through your build log of the 63ft whaleback ASR - Its such a beautiful design, and they way you've built it is really inspiring me to try the same one day...!  Only thing is that it seems such a shame to cover up the planking!

Stavros

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:29 pm »

Bluebird is correct in his assumptions I am indeed building one at the moment and it is well on it way,very easy boat to build...alas not diagonally planked but straight ply sides.

Dave

pete-c

• Shipmate
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 09:12:44 am »

Hi

I am having problem obtaining the June 2011 Magazine. Has anyone a copy that they could could sell me. I only need the article on the Vosper.

Regards
Pete

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2016, 05:45:53 am »

Bluebird is correct in his assumptions I am indeed building one at the moment and it is well on it way,very easy boat to build...alas not diagonally planked but straight ply sides.

Dave

I once saw a ply sided hull scored or pencil marked hull stained and grained to look like planking.Very clever  John Mantova

mtb36

• Shipmate
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 10:10:23 pm »

great build - I did a scratch build on a PBM hull and made my anchor in exactly the same way, well done

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2021, 08:39:46 pm »

I realise it's been a few years since this was updated but still, hope someone can help!
I'm looking at getting the plans and wood pack for this, don't suppose it's possible to build it with two motors is it? Fancy something with a bit more umph and maybe using a mixer to get the motors to do a bit of steering.
Cheers!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2021, 08:47:30 pm »

No reason not to put 2 in if that's what you want.

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2021, 08:55:13 pm »

Haha yeah, I was more concerned if there was enough space!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2021, 05:01:44 pm »

Hi ya there Steven.T

With regards to fitting 2 motors into Glynn Guest's MTB, you may be hard pressed for space.   Unless, you use 400 motors, which are smaller than the standard 550 which was fitted into the model I built.   When you say you want extra 'umph' in your model; it may be come very unstable - which has happened to me on another model that I built (an MGB) fitted a speed 550 in from Graupner and on a 7.2 battery she comes up on the plane and the tork of the motor actually twists the model, making it very unstable at high speed.

So, I suppose if you wished, you could fit a brushless motor in your model with Lipo's.   However, my own thoughts are bog standard 550s with standard prop - these models do perform pretty good.

Couple of pics to show you :-)

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2021, 05:13:08 pm »

Thanks for the relpy John.
I appreciate the extra pictures too. Yours looks like it goes pretty quick anyway!
I also fancied the twin motors to help with steering a bit, just something I've never really tried before.
I'll have a look when it arrives, I am tempted to go brushless, had good experiences with them in R/C cars.
Thanks

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2021, 05:17:02 pm »

Hi ya Steve

With the size of the MTB model and size of rudder the steering is pretty agile with the set up.   So, there would be no benefit steering wise, apart from, say, where you would be able to 'turn on a sixpence' at a standstill.   You would be better off picking a larger model to go twin.   Apart from more room for the motors and that also better stability.

John

GG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2021, 05:20:53 pm »

Steven T,
              John W E speaks a lot of sense about this model, in this type of model a single 500 type of motor with a six cell Nimh battery pack will give you good performance.  Any more power and you might be come a danger to yourself and others.
If you have to use two motors then something like the suggested 400 types would be OK.  Not sure what you would gain, save the ability to rotate the model with independent control of the motors, as with a single motor and rudder, it is fast but predictable and safe, sort of scale fast electric.

Glynn Guest

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2021, 05:34:01 pm »

John, Glynn, thanks for the replies.
Sounds like it might be fast enough as is then, I couldn't find any videos of these so wasn't sure on the speed side of things. I might just go single prop brushless of an equivalent size. I'll have a think about the steering!
Thanks for your help!

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2021, 05:37:49 pm »

Hi ya there Steve

If you are set on building a model with twin motors (easy build) I have had a quick look through Sarik's plans and I believe the Vosper one is a twin motor and I know you can purchase build pack for it as well.   I think this may have been a free plan in Marine Modelling magazine.

Vosper MTB379 - Sarik Hobbies - for the Model Builder

The 2nd plan - I am not 100% sure if this was a free plan in Marine Modelling magazine as well  I don't think there is a wood pack for it.   

RAF Rescue Launch - Plan - Sarik Hobbies - for the Model Builder

Magazine Exchange is a good place to have a look for these 2 magazines - also - the inevitable Ebay may also have these magazines - but - do check and make sure the plans are included if you do buy them.   

I will have a look to see what year the magazines are - if you interested in them.
Marine Modelling Magazine, April 2011 Issue (magazineexchange.co.uk)

Marine Modelling Magazine, July 2015 Issue (magazineexchange.co.uk)

John

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2021, 05:49:07 pm »

Thanks John,
I've actually already ordered Glynns MTB plans and wood set as of Friday night. I hadn't seen the RTTL but I had seen the MTB379. I decided there didn't seem to much in size difference between the two, Glynns was cheaper and having built one of his before I knew they make a nice easy model. I hadn't realised the MTB379 was twin motor, never mind!
Sadly looks like Glynns original article is unavailable, might have to check ebay or just use your write up!

Cheers

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2021, 10:11:33 pm »

What was the plan reference of the one you ordered ?.

Steven.T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2021, 10:13:03 pm »

Not sure, This is the link if thats any help?
https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/vosper-mtb/

Cheers

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2021, 10:21:16 pm »

OK, do you want a copy of the article ?, if so PM me your email address.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.