Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 9329 times)

tony52

Car Insurance
« on: July 01, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »

Some time ago I advised my car insurers that I would need business cover for use of the vehicle at work - the premium went up.
I recently advised my insurers that I was no longer working, the business cover would longer be required and please remove it from the policy - you guessed it - the premium went up.

Puzzled!!

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 06:23:49 pm »

Tell them you are now physically dead, see how much that puts up you premium!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 06:47:13 pm »

They all take the mick, find another insurer. I use Adrian Flux, find them very good.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:08:03 pm »

They all take the mick, find another insurer. I use Adrian Flux, find them very good.
Good outfit for "kit cars"! BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:16:24 pm »

Car insurance seems to be essentially thievery at the moment. Along with most of the rest of the financial sector who take every opportunity to relive you of your hard earned cash.

Colin

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 07:50:50 pm »

According to a man on the radio yesterday 20% of your premium goes to pay for whip lash injuries

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 08:12:59 pm »

Almost every service - gas, electricity, internet, banking, insurance, mobile phones, you name it runs the same business model:

1: Offer incredible bargains to attract new customers
2: After a while, let the costs drift up
3: Lose some people who are prepared to shop around every year, but retain those people who can't be bothered.
4: Profit!

chingdevil

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 08:45:24 pm »

A guy I know was insuring his car after a drink drive ban, its a BMW M3. When he informed his insurer that he was going to activate the tracker on his car he was told it would go up from £1800 to £2200, why because cars with trackers are more likely to get stolen. He then informed them he would not use the tracker but would park the car in a garage, insurance went up from £1800 to £2700, why because cars get damamged in garages with things falling on them. Also his neighbours could not see the car and keep an eye on it. So he parks in the road with no tracker and pays £1800 and his car is less secure, go figure >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Brian

tony23

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 09:24:30 pm »

My daughter just passed her test living in London 17 years old no no-claims Toyota Yaris (daddy bought her) 1.0 litre I cannot get anything less than £2700 Fully comp with £750 excess and I only paid £1700 for the car  <:( you guessed it daddy had to pay it!

Patternmaker

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 06:38:17 am »

A guy I know was insuring his car after a drink drive ban, its a BMW M3. When he informed his insurer that he was going to activate the tracker on his car he was told it would go up from £1800 to £2200, why because cars with trackers are more likely to get stolen. He then informed them he would not use the tracker but would park the car in a garage, insurance went up from £1800 to £2700, why because cars get damamged in garages with things falling on them. Also his neighbours could not see the car and keep an eye on it. So he parks in the road with no tracker and pays £1800 and his car is less secure, go figure >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(

Brian

In my opinion anyone with a drink driving conviction should not be allowed on the road again, he should think himself lucky he could get Insurance whatever the cost.

Uninsured drivers cost legal motorists £1.25bn in 2010 which is pushing up premiums and pricing young drivers and people on low incomes to drive without insurance.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 07:31:25 am »

my last car had Tracker I got a 10% discount and a discount for having it garaged, this new car has trackstar a better version Fitted by BMW it is again thatcham approved but is GPS and linked back to there base I can go on my PC and see where and at what speed the car is going plus all journeys for the last 3 months. again a 10% discount  and discount for an alarmed garage. both policies with SAGA.

Peter

chingdevil

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 10:30:47 am »

I know a lot of members have a downer on it, but the Daily Mail has an article in it today reporting how motorists get ripped off by the police and their own insurance companies if they have a prang.
It is on their web site if you can not lower yourself to buy the paper O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Brian

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 10:42:43 am »

I don't buy the mail but if it's your thing buy it we all like different papers that is why there are so many sold , I buy a paper now after being told once I should not buy it and found I liked it because there was no news in it.

peter

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 10:58:25 am »

Hi all, regarding insurance, I wait for my renewal invitation and then look at the price comparison sites, decide what I want, get the best offer and then go back to my insurance supplier and ask them to match it.
My premiums have been reducing on a like for like basis for the last 3 years on cars (x2) and house.

I did this to Saga for my house insurance (April this year) and they reduced it by £100 on their renewal offer.
Being on a pension cash flow needs to be considered, and I found for instance with Saga that paying quarterly by direct debit was good for both of us.

I found Swintons cash back deal for cars very good as long as you already have a fall back offer to go on and I got my cash back offer 3 months later without having to ask.
I had 2 years with Flux, they were willing to come down but not enough!

We have to have some insurances by law why pay more than you have to!

regards Roy

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 11:18:23 am »

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 11:41:13 am »

I've just received a notification from one of the very large motoring organisations stating that my insurance is due for renewal (it is not!).
That was one mistake, they also gave a reg. number that I didn't know.
They stated that they would offer me the very best quote from a panel of large insurance firms, this came out at £584.  <*<
Considering that I do run a "toy" Scimitar GTE I did read all this waffle carefully. I phoned them (thankfully a free call) and gave them the good news that they had made a mess of the job.
The response was one that  made me wonder if anyone was really concerned about obtaining new business. When informed that I currently pay less than a fifth of this amount all that was said was "Oh, do want to be removed from our mailing list then".
 The fact that I did not request a quote in the first instance for a car that I do even know makes me wonder.

Even my cat is sitting laughing at this episode of pure stupidity.

ACTion

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2011, 11:57:59 am »

I make a point of avoiding any banks, building societies, insurance companies etc which advertise on TV. Their charges are invariably higher than those which don't, especially when they use Steven Fry and Paul Merton to do the voice-overs.............. :o

Oh, and do check the amount of any monthly Direct Debits you may be paying for gas and electricity. Our electrickery supplier recently advised us that we had built up a credit of over £500 but that they would 'retain this amount to set against future charges'. They helpfully included an estimate of our next 12 months' use, from which I calculated that if we were to continue paying the same monthly amount as we have been then the credit after that 12 months would be well in excess of £1000. Needless to say, a phone call was made and our DD has now been amended downwards by £76/month. Cheeky blighters!

DM

tony52

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2011, 07:41:46 pm »

Oh, and do check the amount of any monthly Direct Debits you may be paying for gas and electricity. Our electrickery supplier recently advised us that we had built up a credit of over £500 but that they would 'retain this amount to set against future charges'. They helpfully included an estimate of our next 12 months' use, from which I calculated that if we were to continue paying the same monthly amount as we have been then the credit after that 12 months would be well in excess of £1000. Needless to say, a phone call was made and our DD has now been amended downwards by £76/month. Cheeky blighters!

DM

Also watch that these gas and electricity don't keep the DD too low.  If you build up a substantial debit you can't shop around without paying them this money. Like the previous post from Action, try and keep the DD at the correct level.

davidm1945

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2011, 07:00:26 pm »

I buy a paper now after being told once I should not buy it and found I liked it because there was no news in it.

peter

Page 3 ?  ok2

Please note - this is a JOKE...not a good one but still a JOKE!

Dave.

fatcat123

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »

Mines gone up £670 since last year (Now £1760), yet im a year older (26).  <*<

And who are these robbers? - admiral...

I dont think i'll be a customer any more.

I think its a conspiracy - the government needs money, therefore they got all the ceo's of the insurers into a room and said this - "charge what you like lads and say its because of costs". so they do which benefits them and funds the government in the form of tax!

These people must drink lots of horlicks at night to help them sleep.

pugwash

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 08:20:33 pm »

Must admit I'm happy with mine - renewed two cars yesterday and its £100 cheaper than last year with better conditiions.
Under £400 for two 2 litre vehicles on protected policies sounds OK  to me

Geoff

FsASTSyd1

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 08:35:51 pm »

Hi Fatcat, try Liverpool Victoria, I was with admiral, they wanted £698 (BMW 540) for renewal, got it from LV for £468 including extra for monthly payment. Mind you I do have getting close to 50 years on you, however costs nothing to ask.
Syd

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 08:53:04 pm »

£1760 is a bit high for a Nissan Micra Fatcat.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Patternmaker

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 09:35:52 pm »

There appears to be rather a lot of BMW owners on this forum, are they really concerned about the cost of insurance, I gave my Ford Fiesta 1.4 to my grandson now aged 21, he has been driving for 3 years with no
convictions or claims his renewal has just arrived £790 slight reduction on last year from Admiral. 

nick_75au

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 06:24:46 am »

Do you have third party property insurance available in Ye olde Country?

Can insure a car for about $150 here, covers you for property damage to others, but no cover for your own vehicle, well worth it if your driving a low value car.

Nick
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 21 queries.