Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Car Insurance  (Read 9379 times)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Car Insurance
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 07:23:10 am »

Yes, but unless you run an old banger, most insurance companies will only offer full comp. Plus there is usually very little reduction in premium.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 08:21:55 am »

There appears to be rather a lot of BMW owners on this forum, are they really concerned about the cost of insurance, I gave my Ford Fiesta 1.4 to my grandson now aged 21, he has been driving for 3 years with no
convictions or claims his renewal has just arrived £790 slight reduction on last year from Admiral. 

no just making sure I am fully covered because of the number of  *(oops  I am not allowed to put stars),people who drive without insurance

Peter

nick_75au

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 08:37:36 am »

Yes, but unless you run an old banger, most insurance companies will only offer full comp. Plus there is usually very little reduction in premium.

Glad I live down under then, Insurance still a scam but a somewhat cheaper one, an average comprehensive quote is about 5 times the 3rd party one.

Nick

fatcat123

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 09:28:03 am »

£1760 is a bit high for a Nissan Micra Fatcat.

Regards  Ian.

Lol, Audi A4 3.0l V6 Diesel actually  :D

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 09:40:19 am »

Would you insure you for a car like that??

All the "Target" or exotica drivers seem to forget the prospective repair costs of their chosen p**ile extensions, and before the "I drive it because - - - - " screams, it's your choice so don't whinge when someone else takes the option to not massage your vanity. :-))  {-)

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 09:58:23 am »

My son's (aged 22 now) insurance for his X reg Renault Clio 1.4SI was about £1200 for the first year, then dropped right down to £630 for the second. Though he's the policy holder and principal driver, I'm a named driver and my many years NCD brought the premium down. That also includes full business cover for both of us. Strangely, adding on my daughter (a learner driver aged 25)  brought the cost down the first year, but not the second.

The Clio having failed its emissions test big time - needs either a new cat, new ECU or a serious engine overhaul and we're not going to chance it - we just swapped to an 1.8 Mazda MX5. The premium went up, but not by as much as we thought, to about £850.

My own Focus 1.6 cost me £260 this year, the first time it's gone up in years. That's through a broker, but none of the online or phone quotes have got near his deals. And when my car was bumped into while it was parked outside the house, it took one phone call to the broker to get everything sorted.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

FsASTSyd1

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 08:54:36 am »

Just a little advice, do you all check on the MID site, address below, to ensure that your vehicle is shown as insured. Not so long agio I did a vehicle change then a couple of days later heard on local radio of somebody being stopped by the police because according to MID the vehicle was not insured. Thought I would check mine, not shown as insured, on further checking I found that the vehicle details had been changed but against the old reg number. Took 10 days to sort out, and all that time I could have been stopped for not haveing insurance and according to MID driveing a vehicle with the wrong registration number. Try explaining that away to your local plod, think at the very least you would be takeing a Taxi home and paying to get your vehicle back later. Needless to say I changed my insurance supplier at next renewal and check the MID more than I might need or should have to.

http://www.askmid.com/

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:50 am »

Thank you Syd.  Gives peace of mind, that's for sure.    :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

fatcat123

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 11:20:30 am »

Further to Admiral trying to rob me in a violent manner, ive just done a fresh quote through their website and its £350 cheaper!

It left the call handler a little lost for words. All sorted now and in total a £450 saving on what they wanted to charge!

Dan  %%

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2011, 10:29:13 am »

Be very careful when it comes to car insurance from internet comparison sites. I had had my car for 3 years and the insurance was going up each year so I used one of the comparison web sites. I thought I had filled in all the answers to all questions correctly, I had not even looked at the modifications part of the questionaire and got a quote which I took up. 10 months later my wife purchased a new car and approached the same insurance as myself to get a quote. She was asked is the car modified in any way, her reply was "it's straight out of the showroom, I've only had rear parking sensors fitted". They refused to insure her, she said "my husband is insured with you and he has rear parking sensors on his car". They contacted me that afternoon and cancelled my insurance giving me 5 days grace to sort insurance with another company. I did not realise that fitting a safety option to my car was a modification, I had answered all the questions with the best of intensions when filling in the comparison site.
When I phoned around for a new quote I told all the companies I contacted that I had rear parking sensors fitted, a towbar and electrics, and finally rubber mats. I was told not to be silly and asked "we mean has the engine been modified, have you added alloy wheels or had a body kit fitted". I have none of these as extras.
Alan

jimmy2310

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2011, 10:58:55 am »

I like you Alan had problems with my insurance company "esure" when my car a KIA Sedona 7 seater was hit and written off, they said I had neglected to mention the modifications made to my car and where considering not paying out, as I had made no modifications at all from when I bought it second hand, it was 4 years old when I bought it with one previous owner I asked them what where the modifications made? their reply was a towbar and tinted windows, when I checked the paperwork I got with the car there was receipts and advertising bumf and various other leaflets and receipts on the original purchase documents the first owner ordered the car to be supplied with a factory fitted towbar and the advertising bumf said all models of Sedona's come with tinted windows, so I could prove the vehicle was altered before I bought it and like you Alan I thought modifications made affected the cars performance by altering the engine,gearbox suspension etc, it took 5 months for me to eventually get sorted, good job I had the paperwork to back me up.

Jimmy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2011, 11:55:03 am »

Hi I think it was last year that Admiral said it was cheaper to have 2 cars on the policy.  So having had a quote from Admiral for my CRV I asked about the advantage of putting our other car on as a pair.  This increased their quote for my CRV by £10!
regards Roy

Spook

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2011, 12:04:16 pm »

I just had my renewal notice for my 5 year old CR-V. Insured via the AA by a subsidiary of LV, my premium went up from £276 to £376, despite me being a fiftysomething with 11+ years no claims and no changes to my circumstances. That's more than a 70% increase for a car that's now a year older (=lower value) and one more year without claiming - safe bet you'd think!

So I shopped around (via Compare the Meerkat) and got a quote for £306 - still up on last year's but much better. Insured by - guess who? LV!  :o

I think they are just plucking figures from the air!  >:-o

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 01:18:44 pm »

Just renewed with More Than.   New quote £270.  Last year was £212.   Comp inc breakdown, recovery, no claims
  etc.   Phoned and said I didn't want to pay £270.  Came down to £250, still too much said I.

Down to £234. Couldn't / wouldn't go any lower.  OK, I'll have a think.  Went back 2 days later, different person,     
  managed to get another fiver off.

When I asked why they could reduce the amount now, but not when sending out the renewals, got the usual answer.
  "We want to keep our regular customers."  If you don't ask, you get trodden on.  Not the first time I have done this.

I did a lot of searching before renewing, but although others looked cheaper they didn't offer comparable cover.
  Even the OVER 50 sites, I'm well over,  :embarrassed: were nowhere near.

BBC 1 tonight, 8.30.  Panorama. The Great Car Insurance Swindle.

Alan.

Alan.

Wetwater

• Full Mayhemer
  • My mind often wanders. Once it left completely.
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 01:25:21 pm »

Why has my post above gone all UNTIDY.  >>:-(  Nice and neat when I typed it.  O0
Alan.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 02:06:50 pm »

You may have used  'Enter' at the end of your line and forced a line break.     ok2.

(Or maybe not !!)  I just keep typing away and it automatically adjusts to different screen widths.

Hope this helps

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

andyn

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 03:03:33 pm »

I'm 19, first time I've insured anything, and it cost me £449 fully comp with driver insurance etc....

Still, if I went to Compare the market I would have got a Meerkat too {-)

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 05:17:31 pm »

Just renewed with More Than.   New quote £270.  Last year was £212.   Comp inc breakdown, recovery, no claims
  etc.   Phoned and said I didn't want to pay £270.  Came down to £250, still too much said I.

Down to £234. Couldn't / wouldn't go any lower.  OK, I'll have a think.  Went back 2 days later, different person,     
  managed to get another fiver off.

Really hard to see what the complaint is, this is less than the cost of insuring our new Dalmation.....

Must admit I am horrified to see some of the sums quoted in this thread for younger drivers. To maybe make you all feel better:

Alfa Romeo 147, 2002, 2L Selespeed, garaged, age 49, full no claims, roughly £400/year (after shopping around) and on top of that a tax of roughly £70/year. The Swedes really know how to tax the **** out of the population....

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 05:34:13 pm »

I'm 19, first time I've insured anything, and it cost me £449 fully comp with driver insurance etc....

Still, if I went to Compare the market I would have got a Meerkat too {-)

Try insuring a MeerKat  %% %% %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2011, 05:34:56 pm »

You seem to have done very well there Andy - has it got three wheels?  :}

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 05:54:27 pm »

It's a Unicycle O0 O0 O0

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

andyn

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2011, 06:25:34 pm »

Both wrong ;)

It's doing about 80-90 odd to the gallon too, and only costs a tenner to fill up from running on fumes :-))

Patternmaker

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2011, 06:38:48 pm »

I have just been working out the cost per mile for my Grandsons car 1.4 Ford Fiesta Ghia including Tax, Insurance
MOT & petrol, he is averaging 34.7 MPG average speed 24.4 MPH he does 18 miles a day to and from work,
Cost per mile 46.5 pence per mile not counting maintenance, spares or repairs.

andyn

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2011, 06:53:11 pm »

I bought that bike brand new, taxed it, insured it and bought all the gear for a smidge under £3600...

I had an insurance quote for me to drive a Ford Puma 1.6 for £3800

geoff p

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2011, 06:59:11 pm »

Andy MMB
You simply live in the wrong place.
My renewal for my Honda Phantom motorbike cost 700 Baht (14 quid ) last year and 650 baht (13 quid) this year for Tax and Insurance together.  Of that Road Fund Tax (or its equivalent) is a whole 100 baht (2 quid).  Even on my pension, I can manage that!

Geoff
Thailand
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.