Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Ickford  (Read 3843 times)

owena

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
HMS Ickford
« on: March 15, 2007, 11:03:59 am »

A friend of mine (ex-navy gentleman) was wondering if there are plans available of the an MTB called HMS Ickford he served on her in Asia from 1961 to 1967 or steer us towards a site that have any information or pictures.

Owen

owena

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: HMS Ickford
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 01:33:33 pm »

Thanks Daryl

Great links, he will be well pleased with these. He had lost any phots he had taken back then

Owen

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 02:18:34 pm »

Hi Owen,
I think there a couple of picres of HMS Ickford in abook RN Minor War Vessels by Ben Warlow. I have attached a link to the Amazon page.

www.amazon.co.uk/RN-Minor-War-Vessels-Focus/dp/0907771815

I have a copy somewhere and the pictures in it are very good.

The coastal forces association might help as well as a free add in the 'Over to You ' colum of Navy News which is available in Wh Smiths and large Tesco stores.

Hope this helps
Daryl

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 02:53:35 pm »

Hi there,   Ive been looking through the book I have (the one mentioned by Daryl) and I cant see any photographs of HMS Ickford.   However, there is a photograph of HMS Grey Goose which is very similar in hull construction and the twin funnels.  Daryl you are a bit like me - you know you have seen a pic in a book somewhere - but we cant recall which one its in.   There is though (and this is where we will need more help - say from Anmo and Admiral Colin B) I am sure there were semi-scaled plans which came free with one of the magazines - either Model Boats or it could have been a summer issue Model Boats mag.  Here again, I am unsure whether the Plan was for the Ickford or Grey Goose - & - I think it may have been drawn by Vic Smeed - and I think the book was published some time in 1976 or round about that time.  There is a chance that the Maritime Museum or John Lambert may have plans for HMS Ickford - hope this is of some help.

aye
John E
BLUEBIRD
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 03:10:39 pm »

Hi Owen
Found a couple of pictures  which might help.

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 03:59:21 pm »

Hi john,
Of course your absolutly right, my son has just pointed out he has the book and couldn't find  it in there. Yes I agree it does look very much like Grey Goose, same designer I wonder?

Good book with plenty of ideas for coastal craft. can't help thinking I have seen the name before, perhaps it was when jr was in the sea cadets has they had loads of pictures of coastal forces craft and nearly ended up with one of the Bird class to play with.

Thanks for correcting my error.

Best regards
Daryl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.