Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge illumination in WW2 minesweepers  (Read 2391 times)

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
Bridge illumination in WW2 minesweepers
« on: March 05, 2007, 12:53:34 pm »

Does anybody out there have an idea, how the bridges of minesweepers (i.e. Sir Lancelot- Round Table calss) had been illumintaed due in operation?
I have heard three different versions:
1. Non- illuminated
2. Blue lights
3. Red lights
.... but which one is right?
And had there been any lights on deck?
Thankyou in advance, mates!

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

jinks8

Re: Bridge illumination in WW2 minesweepers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 03:15:03 pm »

as far as i an aware the bridges of most navel ships did not have lighting on at night. The ships had red lighting to get crew's eyes accustomed to the dark john this still happens to this day in most of the armed forces. You could could give it a blueish light to mimic the faint light from instruments . john     

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 04:33:08 pm »

I don't know for sure what colour the lighting is,
one thing I do know it was not blue.
Blue lights give of the same light intensity in the dark as normal day light. when looked you look an a spectum graph of lights blue and natural 
are so close you think they are the same, so if blue lights were installed you would see the boat for miles as they would be like a light house guiding enemy to you.
altering  the shade of blue the brighter the light  you can get.
And Yes...
I was  the sad person still awake during the lighting colour schemes in my electrical engineering course ;D

Hope this helps

Colin

jinks8

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 11:28:52 am »

I did not mean  Britte blue light if the ship  had light,s on the bridge it would most definitely be red, as you say light would give them away plus the watch would not see much  out side the illuminated area on a non combat footing the bridge may have white lights on dim white light. john

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 11:48:32 am »

I think they had a white light over the chart table - if they had one - but this would have had a curtain over it.

Rick

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 10:26:23 am »

Hmmmmm- this what I was told. In most cases no lights and over the Chart-table a covered light....

Dark times at these days.....

But I still wonder how the deckshands have handled the equipment in total darkness.....??

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 10:25:39 am »

But I still wonder how the deckshands have handled the equipment in total darkness.....??
If you consider just how much gear you can have in use when sweeping (for both contact and influence mines), the answer has to be "with a great deal of care".
Sorry, that's not meant to be a joke answer. A good sweep deck crew are something to watch in action.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 10:47:38 am »

... something which needs definately to be treted with highest respect.....

I don`t have any experience as when I marked my willingness for naval-service due to my National service I was asked if I could swim.
The note, if they don`t use boats anymore lead to an exclusion and I became a gun leader on a 20mm AA-gun..... :D

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 05:23:32 pm »

You should have known that the powers that be do not have much of a sense of humour!

Because of the strange ideas in this country, much of the equipment and methods were classified material. The fact that anyone could, if they wanted, access much of it through a public library didn't matter. Much stamping of "SECRET" on the books. I would assume that it remains so even now. Having tried to obtain the plans for a class of ship that was built before I was born and was scrapped by the time I entered the service - I was told that it was impossible, the plans were still classified.

If you are interested in sweepers / sweeping, I would suggest you have a read through "Out Sweeps" by Lund & Ludlam published by Foulsham  ISBN 0-572-01011-7 (published in1978).

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.