Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam - Frequency hogging?!  (Read 5175 times)

darrencuk

Steam - Frequency hogging?!
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:29:27 am »

Am I the only one that is getting fed up with steam?
It drives me round bend don't get me wrong I respect the engineering that goes into them but god most guys in our club who do them are pains in the neck there all on 40mhz or 27mhz so when there warming up u can't go on it's a nightmare I think it should be made a rule that they only use 2.4. And fact of when there on the water and you are to all you here is give way to steam does great on u anybody else have this problem or feel this way

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Steam - Frequency hogging?!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 10:52:34 am »

We used to have problems with IC powerboats on our local lake, not the operators, just the big models blasting around our tiny little delicate scale models. A bit of discussion later and all sorted, powerboats to the right of the scale guys. Most of the powerboaters now run on different days to us now, as they found that avoiding those annoying little scale boats that kept appearing haphazardly around the lake could be the cause of a nasty accident.
Two sides to most problems and its always worth discussing in a calm and sensible manner. Have you voiced these concerns with the steam boys on your local lake before posting on Mayhem?
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

darrencuk

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:03:04 am »

I have tried but it's like banging your head against a brick wall as all the cummity run steam :(

brianB6

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 11:44:31 am »

You could update to 2.4 gig. Then there would be no problems.  :police:

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:47:23 am »

you also have some clubs where members leave there boats at the side of the lake turned on but moored to there own landing stage this stops anybody using the frequency or moving at more than a snails pace as they complain about any waves, so all groups are as bad , you also get the chap with a big battery who can run for several hours where as most steam boats are limited to  a max on averrage 40 min because of water /gas carrying.
so all I can say is but 2.4ghz and you wont have a problem. or go to New Brighton you will be able to sail all day then as they have banned steam , oh but there are all the boats moored at the side of the lake and you have to walk miles to park.

Peter

Paul S

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:48:05 am »

This absolutely staggers me.  Why don't you try and be calm, patient and understanding to your fellow modellers and perhaps invest in a few more crystals like most of us do. We're all in this together, a shrinking hobby as it is, the last thing we need is unnecessary aggravation.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 11:52:56 am »

If you go 2.4 ghz you can buy a new receiver for the price of a set  of 27/40 mhz xtals and Txs are even given away with Magazine subscriptions.

peter

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 12:07:03 pm »

YOU need to change both your attitude and radio system darrencuk cos when it comes down to consideration for fellow modellers many boaties are complete buttheads.

you also have some clubs where members leave there boats at the side of the lake turned on but moored to there own landing stage this stops anybody using the frequency or moving at more than a snails pace as they complain about any waves

Hmm, would like to have seen that logic displayed at a toy aircraft flying site. One thing to consider is haveing a "Burner" fitted to your TX and flood the pond with your frequency. Used to be a "Peg" system for using the "Old" frequencies but not much use if someone pockets THEIR channel. Even less use when they forget to hand the peg back.

Fly aircraft Darren, in the main, we're a much friendlier and considerate bunch.

Regards  Ian.

OH, nearly forgot,  use 35megs, as some boaties seem to think that's acceptable.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 11:50:13 pm »

Would you mind saying where this club is. Sounds like a fantastic place to have ALL 27 and 40 channels in use for hours on end. That's about 46 frequencies in use. Can you post some pictures of this huge crowd please.
We're lucky to get one steamer on our pond most weeks.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 03:15:32 am »

yep, you never got that many boat's  at the big Cheddar steam meetings , maybe six or eight max all steam, funny there where no problems over freqency hogging as we all,had several sets in fact at the last meeting of Cheddar I went to I was still using my old car Jr set which on 40Mhz I had most freq which was always handy when you where car racing in 10 or even 12 car heats and 180 entrants it was a pain to get your freq moved if you did not have the xtals, it also made shore you ended in the correct heat and not where there was a gap for your xtals. I cannot under stand some boaters that don't want to change freq they turn up with one set of Xtals and moan if someone is using it, on 27 MHz you would find a loot of boaters would turn up with red Xtals problem is though some of the old 'rubbish' sets where not caperbale of using splits.I have just sold my Futaba equipment that had never even been used because just after buying I went 2.4ghz that had 4 receivers and a good few sets of futaba Xtals,
Just noticed on your posts you are asking about setting up your Planet T5 on 2.4ghz so what is the problem the price of a receiver for one of them is the same  price of a good set of spare xtals

Peter

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 09:09:59 am »

Hi all, I went as a visitor to Portishead lake a few Sundays ago and asked which frequencies were in use and the only one I had was in use. (I live >100 miles away, usually take a yacht when visiting my friend there).

The guy who was on immediately brought it in changed crystals (40Megs FM) and I was able to sail for a couple of hours.  If he reads this, thanks very much most appreciated.  Nice club and a lovely lake.
regards Roy

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 12:08:56 pm »

I've occasionally turned up at the lake and realised that I'd forgotten my box of xtals. Never a problem. I've been loaned a spare set, another user has swapped his to let me sail or I've just agreed with someone that we'd share the sailing time, 20 mins apiece. That's at Eastbourne, btw, very friendly place!

I'll probaby go 2.4GHz later this year. Can anyone tell me what TX sets on 2.4 let you remove the spring and put in a ratchet for twin stick, twin screw operation?
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

Dekan

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 03:21:26 pm »

I got tired of wandering to the opposite end of the park I fly in, to find what frequency the guy with the helicopter  ..etc was on..Most didn't know anyway...So went to 2.4Ghz... problem solved.
I use cheap Planet gear for my "simple" boats and Spektrum for the other boats and planes

Dekan

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 03:22:02 pm »

I got tired of wandering to the opposite end of the park I fly in, to find what frequency the guy with the helicopter etc, was on..Most didn't know anyway...So went to 2.4Ghz... problem solved.
I use cheap Planet gear for my "simple" boats and Spektrum for the other boats and planes

g4yvm

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 04:34:37 pm »

Darren, mate, calm down and buy a 2,4 GHz set yourself.

Rxs from hobbyking at a fiver a piece and trannies not much more...its a no brainer if you get so frustrated with your "old" sets.

D

Dekan

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 06:18:39 pm »

All of these simple 2.4ghz radios seem to work fine for normal boat work, mind you I would want to trust the very cheapest ones on a plane or fast boat..Most have a surface range of 300 meters... try controlling a small boat at that range..

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 22 queries.