Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Television Licensing  (Read 10303 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Television Licensing
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2011, 03:56:54 pm »

That might of been the original idea... but now IMO it's just another tax.... just like road tax has become...

Not quite the same as the licence fee does only go to the BBC whereas road tax simply disappears into the Treasury coffers and has no bearing on what is actually spent on the roads. Of course in recent years the BBC has branched out into areas which other organisations have felt to represent unfair competition but they have had to retrench quite considerably on that. With the licence fee you can see (literally!) what you are getting for your money, whether you like it is something else again and down to personal opinion.

Colin

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2011, 05:38:53 pm »

What a strange fellow Korky was.  %)

I left the BBC (in 1992) with glee, and a pot of cash. This was partly because they'd changed my contract from 42-hours a week to 160-hours per month...which meant I could be sent to cover the snooker in Sheffield, for example, and work an eighty-hour week, be given the following week off, and thus not get any overtime.  >>:-(

These days, after a toy with Sky for a year or two, Mrs Dreadnought72 and myself decided that there really wasn't anything on any broadcast services that bothered us much: she was watching a few classic films online, while I was watching about 30 minutes a week via the iplayer (I much prefer the radio for news and entertainment), so we cancelled our TV licence.

If you do this, prepare yourself for an assault.

We were bombarded with letters and then, eventually, a fella turned up. "We have a record of this address as being unlicenced," he said, "can I come in and check your TV?"

"Sure." I said.

So I showed him our TV, plugged into naught but an Xbox and the DVD player, and he left, saying "We'll be in touch in a year or so."

"Don't bother!" I happily called after him.  {-)

Andy, ex BBC Cameraman, Manchester "North 3"
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2011, 10:43:32 pm »

Our ABC, equivalent of BBC does not have any adds.
You can watch a show from start to finish uninterrupted, provided you don't need a comfort break, and that's where commercials come in handy  :-)) :-))
So take your pick. {-) {-) {-)

omra85

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2011, 11:26:20 pm »

Some of you have already noticed the increase in "self-adverts" from the BBC.  This is the reason -
Television programmes are created in "sections". (Films not included as they are variable length).
In the old days when the BBC were making programmes for only themselves, their "sections" were 15 mins (ie 2 "sections" for a half hour programme, etc.).
ITV, on the other hand, created programmes in 13 minute "sections" (to allow for 2 mins advertising every 15 mins).
This was fine until both companies started buying programmes made by "independant" TV companies (of which most programmes are nowadays)
In order for these independants to attract the greatest number of potential buyers, the programme makers make them ALL in 13 minute "sections", which means that the BBC has to fill the 'remaining' time with something - thus, (not being allowed to use humorous Meercat adverts, etc) - we are given 4 minutes of "self-promotion" every 30 mins (they put both 13 minute "sections" together)
There is also moves afoot to reduce the size of the "sections" to 12 minutes with pressure by the USA markets (who need more "sponsor time" as well as the adverts!
So the ratio of programme/advert time will decrease further .... !

Just thought I'd cheer you all up.   %) {-) {-)
Danny

Mi Amigo

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2011, 12:30:16 am »

You are perfectly entitled to your opinion but don't knock those who think a bit differently.

Hark who's talking  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2011, 09:16:34 am »

Hark who's talking 

Everyone has a right to be wrong.  ok2

regiment

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2011, 11:02:40 am »

i do not care what rubbish is on tv do not have to pay for licence  {-) {-)

treeboa

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2011, 11:50:22 am »

fond memory of the inspectors, forgot to renew licience, then we both thought the other had, out at dads one sunday with younguns, im on the front holding the youngest when looking up the road i see some muppit bobbing around the front window obviously upto no good looking in the windows, flys up there, puts baby down and has this guy by the throat and about to punch his lights out, thats when the copper he was with stepped in, seems he was looking in my windows to check if we had a tv, end the day as i told the copper this guy looked shady, should expect to be taken to task as a peeping tom, copper understood were i was coming from but inspector wanted me arresting  <*<, so i said to the copper my mrs was walking around poss semi naked and i wanted the guy arrested for that, copper sorted the inspector out on it, so then it was have you a licence, once i asked her it turned out no, so the guy says get one by tomorrow no further action, following morn im first at postie, gets one, two weeks later i get a summons for not having one, pleads guilty but i want my day in court because of what had been said, says my bit, mentions this peeping tom way of the inspector, also mentions the get one and no further action, seems a fair few of us got hit by same guy and magistrates hit the roof with them, he told everyone the same, obviously i was guilty but my fine was £25 , the inspectors boss who was in court got himself a new backside torn by the magistrates
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.