Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Aurora  (Read 3179 times)

grayone

The Aurora
« on: July 07, 2011, 02:30:37 pm »

One day maybe I would like to have a go at this one

Dave13

Re: The Aurora
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:41:30 pm »

Very nice I'm gessing she is a WW1 cruser :-)

grayone

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:00:57 pm »

Yes indeed she is moored in St Peterburg on the river overlooking the Winter Palace.  She is famous in Russian History for the part she played in the October Revolution.  A blank fired from her foredeck gun signaled the start of the siege on the Winter Palace and the beginning of the revolution.
 (The brass plaques on the side of the gun commemorate the event)

The challange as a model I guess is her narrow beam.

Dave13

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 08:22:04 pm »

Yes I agree I thing also the tumble home on the hull would be a challenge ( well it would be for me lol  :-) ) I do like the WW1 warships thow I am building HMS Dreadnought at the moment and have my eye on a the British cruiser the HMS Kent well you never know maybe in the in a few years lol :-))
Dave:)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:09:56 pm »

She looks in remarkably good condition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Aurora

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ixion

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:18:33 pm »

One of the pictures I took of her last year

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 11:20:54 pm »

read somewhere a few years ago that 80% of her is "new" , she was rebuilt by the soviet era lot in the 80's as far as I can remember , think the entire hull below the waterline has been replaced. I'll see if I can find the link

Plans : http://www.bestscalemodels.com/avrora.html

Link about the history and rebuild

http://www.navalofficer.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86:aurora&catid=50:maritime-museums&Itemid=94
Davie Tait,
Scotland

nhp651

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 08:31:30 am »

If I remember from the depths of history, she was one of the fleet of ships that fired on the British fishing fleet in the North Sea killing a number of fishermen, whilst the Russians were on their way to the Eastern China Station, whilst they were in conflict with the Japanese( i think) in the very early part of the last century.

Their reason for firing on our fishing fleet, that they gave was that they thought , in the fog, that the trawlers/drifters were part of the enemy's fleet.................????? <:( <:( <:( <:( <:(

I think their navigating officers were rellies of Christopher Columbus......he thought that the Windie's were India,  {-) {-) {-) {-)

Canopus

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 06:19:21 pm »

I'm not sure if the Arora actually fired on the fishing vessels or not but it wasn't quite so absurd as it seems today, as britain was building torpedo boats for the Japanese and it was thought their crews had arrived and taken them over and were laying in wait for the Russians.

Very intersting ship and I'm sure the beam would be adequate to make a working model at 1/96 scale.

Nice pitures byt the way, any one got any more on board shots?

Cheers

Geoff

victorian

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 09:36:02 pm »

It's said somewhere that when the Russian fleet sailed, the Royal Navy raised steam in 46 battleships just in case....
That's right, forty-six   battleships!

grayone

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 01:58:33 pm »

I'm not sure if the Arora actually fired on the fishing vessels or not but it wasn't quite so absurd as it seems today, as britain was building torpedo boats for the Japanese and it was thought their crews had arrived and taken them over and were laying in wait for the Russians.

Very intersting ship and I'm sure the beam would be adequate to make a working model at 1/96 scale.

Nice pitures byt the way, any one got any more on board shots?

Cheers

Geoff

pugwash

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 02:08:35 pm »

Im not surprised she is in such good condition - she has the same historical interest to the Russians as
Victory does to us.  Certainly something very different and personally I think she could be made into a stunning
model.

Geoff

grayone

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 11:35:56 am »

Im not surprised she is in such good condition - she has the same historical interest to the Russians as
Victory does to us.  Certainly something very different and personally I think she could be made into a stunning
model.

Geoff

The plate on the forward gun tells the strory that every Russian knows about.  I have some plans for a model (with text in Russian) that are 100:1 scale.  One thing that is puzzling is the main guns.  I don't think these are original.  The ship has for sure had her gunsw changed at some time and the hull is a patchwork of welded up hatches.

This is my favoriye picture

Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.