Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dads  (Read 4004 times)

mook

• Full Mayhemer
Dads
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:32:16 pm »

Why is it no mater what is there always right.
Mine is pain in the butt I said I was going to fit a certain motor in my boat he said it will be well over powered and laughed and said I will leave it to you get all motor fitted and set up go to the lake today and test it before I put on the water he says remember what I said over powered so me being me put it on thinking na it will be fine used one in my rc car and wasn't that fast, take it out to centre lake and open it up oh dear is all I can say so much power it ripped back end under :( we finally limped it in and dad stood there and said will be ordering a new motor then with a massive smile on his face, moral of the story dads are always right and 14 year olds have alot to learn lol

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dads
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 04:00:45 pm »

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.”

Anon - apocryphally attributed to Mark Twain...

grayone

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 04:10:26 pm »

Rchammer I like your Dad he gives advices and then at least he lets you make your own mistakes.  You will learn much more this way and eventually even learn to listen to advice  {-)

g4yvm

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 04:32:04 pm »

Brilliant stuff.

As for dads always being right, ha ha.  I have a 15yo son and I just LOVE annoying him with my wisdom and skills.  Trouble is (this is to the OP) such wisdom comes at an awful awful price...I am OLD!!!

If I knew then what I know now I'd be a much better man, but probably far more boring!  At 14 I hope I too would have ripped the back off a boat with power!

The joke is of course the wisdom we have is all an act...just today I got my son well and truly flustered by easily winning a darts match.  He now thinks I am frustratingly good at darts!  What a joke, he just cant see it was all luck...but the act is, I wont ever tell him that!!  The good bit for me is, he'll work harder at darts next time so I get a better son developing right in front of my eyes. Beautiful!  Sons, ya gotta love em.  Even the ones that over power boats!

David  

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:33:36 pm »

Hey we're usually right - but if kids don't do their own thing from time to time then they'll never know when we're wrong - and have big fun rubbing it in. Plus most of us Dads are adversed to any risk at all for our kids - so our kids would never take a chance on anything if we always got our way. It's always worth kids actually listening to our advice - but lots of kids make the repeated mistake of not even listening -  so they aren't even making an informed choice, then they want bailing out by Dad.  >>:-(

mook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:09:14 pm »

As stated spell checker does not work on a iPhone even pressing the button and yes I no it's bad about spelling and gammer not that I'm using it as a reason but I'm dislexic and I'm trying to improve on things through class

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 07:21:33 pm »

Love your username - conjures up thoughts in my mind of a radio-controlled hammer!

Thanks for letting us know about your dyslexia and please don't let it put you off posting. As Dave says, you are getting your point across but do keep on trying to improve - well worth it in the end.

Your dad sounds great! One day you'll look back and realize you've become just like him - I speak from experience! Not only do I find myself saying the same things he did, even my thumbs have become the same shape as his!

Mike

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 12:38:21 am »

“When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.”

I remember seeing a notice in an office or shop somewhere many years ago, to the effect "Teenagers, leave home now while you still know everything"  {-) {-)

Peter.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 05:31:11 am »

"Model Boat Mayhem" is the name of the site when I last Checked..  do   :}  I see no issues, now who can borow me a £20.

Can you collect the brick in person???

O0 O0 O0 %) %) %)

You have just got to love it when your kid says Dad you were right and then you think back to you and your Dad.
Ain't life grand.

Yep its Model, boat, Mayhem alright

Spook

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 12:12:55 pm »

I'm going through the same with a 14-year old daughter - not the ripping backs of boats, but the knowing it all and not taking any advice. Last wekend she did her bronze Duke of Edinburgh Awards hike - over 2 days with an overnight camp. Didn't take off her socks as advised overnight to give her feet a chance to recover. The resulting 6 blisters have yet to go down. Still, they did prevent her from going in a shopping spree with her mates the following day, as her feet hurt too much.

Every cloud, eh?  ;)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 06:15:23 am »

Apparently I have a bad habit of "Taking over" If i see the kids doing something wrong or badly, I have to show them how to do it "properly"  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Spook

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 09:48:11 am »

That's definitely a Dad thing. I have to sit on my hands and bite my tongue, as I know any attempt to assist or advise will result in a torrent of 'teen spirit'.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 10:56:38 am »

Topic Tidied up - Spelling irritations removed.   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 11:32:19 am »

Superb use of a dose of admin Martin  :-))  Removes all the irritations.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 11:44:13 am »

Guys........this question of "Dads"...... is world wide, universal & generational  O0

1.0 after many years of talking with Dad & asking questions.....about engineering & model making....... >>:-(
2.0 my brothers & I realised we were not 1/10 as skilled in hands on work despite higher technical and university education  %%
3.0 Dad's response to this was simple  %) .....in that "he was not 10% on his Dad "

I rest my case......love you Dad.....  :kiss: .....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Spook

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 12:29:29 pm »

I'm sure you're right Derek. And it doesn't just apply to model making.

Being the father of a teenage girl I realise just what a great dad mine was, to be so patient with my sister and I when we were going through our teens (although we didn't realise it at the time). He was probably on the same rollercoaster of despair, joy, frustration, pride, anger, laughter, worry and heart-bursting love that I'm riding on. Shame he's no longer with us so that I could tell him.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 01:15:04 pm »

I'm sure you're right Derek. And it doesn't just apply to model making.

Being the father of a teenage girl I realise just what a great dad mine was, to be so patient with my sister and I when we were going through our teens (although we didn't realise it at the time). He was probably on the same rollercoaster of despair, joy, frustration, pride, anger, laughter, worry and heart-bursting love that I'm riding on. Shame he's no longer with us so that I could tell him.

You are so right.... I inherited 2 stepdaughters and a stepson luckily they are not quite teenagers yet, but then there is the language difference lol

Anyway this is so so familiar isn't it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI5BXf-uPoQ
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Nordsee

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 01:35:42 pm »

Not quite Dads, but near. I have two grandsons, now both close to 30. When they were teenagers they were constantly in trouble, then suddenly the problems all but ceased. We were happy, thought they were " Growing up at last!!" A few years later I was talking to the eldest one and mentioned this sudden change, and he told me that is when they had applied  "The Grandad Rules". These were, before they did anything dodgy they asked themselves the question, " If Grandad found out that we had done XXXX, would he be mad or Happy?" If the answer was "He would be MAD!!!" Then we didn't do it. I thought that was a nice compliment.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 02:21:30 pm »

Hi I go along with that!  I used to say to my son and daughter, if you are not sure about doing something, just check if you can tell your mum afterwards?
Roy

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 01:15:10 am »

my dad used to say to me if your not in bed by 10 o'clock come home  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.