Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steamer SCHAARHÖRN  (Read 4888 times)

livesteam

Steamer SCHAARHÖRN
« on: July 11, 2011, 06:48:37 am »

Hello!
After a trip to Hamburg, where we also visited the steamer Schaarhörn http://www.schaarhoern.de/englisch.htm , I became very interested in this beautiful yacht-alike ship.
So this would be another nice building project (although almost no time actually...  %% ). However, I know there is a Caldercraft kit of this very vessel, but I haven't seen one so far. Does anybody know this kit? In a German forum I read something about rather poor quality of fittings and that the finished model should be much too top-heavy. But I couldn't find any reviews or other meanings so far...
Thank you for yours!
Kaspar

colin-d

Re: Steamer SCHAARHÖRN
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:27:39 am »

Kaspar, the Germans always complain about English kits and there fittings, so nothing has changed there...

if you can read German you might like to try this link... there is quite a few photo's of the contents of the Kit

http://www.rc-msc-kirchberg.de/117,0,modell-schaarhoern,index,0.html

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:20:02 am »

There should be an article about her in the June 2011 Marine Modelling International magazine. I say "should" as the June issue has not reached this side of the world yet but in the May issue it says "coming next month John De Broske builds a German steam yacht". I am quite interested in her too and so far the best price I have found for the Caldercraft kit is at Cornwall Model Boats  http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft_classic.html. Hope this helps, Ian.

colin-d

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:43:56 am »

Westbourne Models are 95p cheaper.... but who is counting.. lol

http://www.westbourne-model.co.uk/caldercraft-radio-control-1771-0.html

there were also Kit Reviews in : SchiffsModell 20/2 , Febr.'97 / ModellWerft 2/97 , Febr.'97

livesteam

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:04:11 am »

I just checked the website of MMI and schaarhörn has even been on the cover of june issue. So I will order this issue, thanks for the hint!
colin-d, thank you also for the link and the hints about Modellwerft nad Schiffsmodell. I know both magazines but unfortunately don't have either of the particular issues.
Regards
Kaspar

livesteam

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:18:54 am »

I 've got the MMI article yesterday. It's about a very nicely buillt model of the Schaarhörn kit but with some marginal changes compared to the prototype. It's made with an electric propulsion. I would prefere steam, but according to Jotika this is not recommended due to possible stability problems. However, I guess with a small horizontal boiler (such as 2.5" maccsteam) and two little SVS or Regner micro engines it should be possible. I would accept shorter running times with such a configuration. Any meanings or experiences?
Thank you!

Mdl63

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 12:24:19 pm »

I actually have this model. I bought her as built and can say she looks and handles brilliantly on the water. A nice heavy 12v battery helps out with the ballast, and as far as I can see there is no additional ballast in my model. The quality of the hull and fittings are fine and she really is a lovely detailed boat. In fact I saw a built up one on steal-bay recently. I think it went for £249.00, which, if, like me, you have not got the time to build, but love sailing the models, I thought was a great buy.

Hope this info helps.

livesteam

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:19:00 am »

thanks Markie !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.