Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: War Movies  (Read 4464 times)

deadbeat

War Movies
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:57:22 pm »

Just to let you know that the war film 'Away All boats' is being released on DVD in Region 2 format. I've ordered mine from Play.com at £6.99.

This is hardly ever shown on TV and has been really difficult to get hold of on DVD until now.

It was made in 1954 starring Geoff Chandler and is a tribute to all the unsung heroes of the Pacific island hopping campaign, namely the Landing Ships and the men that manned them. Worth a look.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: War Movies
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:42:14 pm »

Is that the film where the Captain gets the disgruntled crew to build him a sailing dingy with red sails to divert their disquiet?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:14:43 pm »

Which is the Vietnam film where the Americans catch a sniper who turns out to be a 13 year old girl? I'm sure I remember something like that but I can't remember the name of the flick.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:29:05 pm »

Full Metal Jacket is the film you're thinking of tobyker

Martin I think the film you're thinking of is "Mr Roberts" or something like that
Davie Tait,
Scotland

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:20:31 pm »

martin you are right that is the film with the little sailboat i have it on video

phil

davidm1945

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 04:22:53 pm »

They showed "Operation Petticoat" on Freeview again yesterday - the one with the pink submarine.

"We just sunk a truck!"

Excellent....

Dave.

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:18:54 pm »

Is that the film where the Captain gets the disgruntled crew to build him a sailing dingy with red sails to divert their disquiet?

Actually, it is "All boats away" where the Captain has the crew build the sailboat.
One of the crew comments, "Just think about how jealous all the captains and admirals aboard those fleet ships are watching him sail that boat."

In Mr Roberts, the major conflict is over the sudden change in attitude by Mr Roberts after the crew get shore leave, and of course, the palm tree on the bridge.

;)

mikearace

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 07:29:31 pm »

Which finally goes to davy jones locker courtesy of Ensign Pulver when he gets the telegram saying that Doug, Mr Roberts is dead after finally being transferred to front line combat after all his requests wre previously turned down.  The last line of the screenplay is an absolute classic with Ensign Pulver throwing the palm overboard and saying 'So whats all the crud about no movies tonight................'

Great movie but the follow up Ensign Pulver was pretty lame in comparison.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 09:51:49 pm »

HI Fellow members I think the ship in away all boats was  U S S  Randall and may years ago Revell did a plastic model of this ship.

deadbeat

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:10:40 pm »

The ship is USS Belinda (PA-22) an attack transport, and to answer an earlier question it is the film where Geoff Chandler makes the crew build him a sailing dinghy.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 08:27:05 pm »

Found it!   Away All Boats (1956)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048971/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

nhp651

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 01:20:32 pm »

I've just been watching Battle of the River Plate again for the umpteen millionth time.....and yet again, the ol'Graf Spee ( aka USS SALEM ) heavy cruiser bites the dust again.
However, having never noticed it before, can anyone explain to me why, when filming her leave Montevideo ( aka  Malta's Grand harbour, Valletta,) for what would have been her final "battle" with the allied fleets, why is she carrying about six black cars on the aft deck port side............seems an odd thing to do, as obviously the ship was filmed specially for the movie........so why carry a load of cars out the harbour????

now, I am puzzled, as it seems an odd thing to do even for a serving warship, or was this the sort of thing that American war ships of the 50-60's when this film was shot, did and carried for their crew.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 01:55:51 pm »

I watched it too Neil, great film... must watch out for that next time... it will probably be on again before the end of the month!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 02:42:21 pm »

Just watched it again, what cars ?

Keep taking the pills Neil
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nhp651

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 07:52:08 pm »

you are so right Martin.been on 3 times in the last two weeks, lol

dicky just as she is sailing out of the harbour at 19.50 pm on the sunday night and is passing the stone breakwater, pause the film and look at the deck...there are about 6 cars all black, lined up on the deck, aft and abeam of the rear turrets....can't miss em mate once you know they are there....... %% %% %%

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:19:24 pm »

dicky just as she is sailing out of the harbour at 19.50 pm on the sunday night and is passing the stone breakwater, pause the film and look at the deck...there are about 6 cars all black, lined up on the deck, aft and abeam of the rear turrets....can't miss em mate once you know they are there....... %% %% %%

My apologies Neil, there are definitely cars on the portside adjacent to the rear turrets.
Continuity departments didn't exist back then. 
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 09:09:07 pm »

My apologies Neil, there are definitely cars on the portside adjacent to the rear turrets.

Turrets?! Just the one I believe. Sure there weren't any double decker buses too?  :}

nhp651

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 09:13:21 pm »

Turrets?! Just the one I believe. Sure there wern't any double decker buses too?  :}

no Colin...that had just taken off for a trip to the moon.......well that's what the sunday Star said a while back {-) {-) {-) {-)

as for turrets..there were two.....a twin gun and a tripple gun turret.......( i am talking about the Salem, and not the Graf spee)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 09:25:21 pm »

I don't count 5 inchers....

nhp651

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 09:30:18 pm »

I don't count 5 inchers....

I have to it's the only one I have seen %% %% %%,

TailUK

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 11:21:00 am »

I took a look at my DVD copy and your'e right although I only saw one black saloon.  There were 2 station wagons, a open back truck and another saloon in gray.  

I think they are the vehicles belonging to the film crew.   The only scenes with recognisable actors, filmed on board ship were shot on a Royal Navy ship probably one of the cruisers.  I thinking specifically about the scene where Graf Spee is replenishing.  
The scenes on board the Salem are typical 2nd Unit shots with no recognisable faces.  I suspect that the 2nd Unit took their vehicles with them and did their filming while Salem  was returning from Malta to the 6th Fleet's homeport at Villefranche-sur-Mer.

Another film to watch out for is "Sailor of the King" which the later adaptation of C.S.Forrester's "Brown on Resolution"  More shot of the Med Cruiser Squadron and H.M.S. Manxman playing the German surface raider.

nhp651

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 08:08:48 pm »

thanks for that Tailuk.
it intrigued me as to why she would be carrying vehicles, when obviously this would be one of the last shots they would take of her when filminh..the ones of her blowing up were of a model.......but that also intrigues me........as they actually built a model to blow up, of the Salem..........and not the Graf Spee.........I suppose that was one of the bits of continuity that they didn't reckon anoraks like me would pick up on........I really should get a life %% %% %% %%

another bit of a blunder really........but I shouldn't pick faults as it is one of my favorite films.............!

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 08:24:27 pm »

Hi All

It might be a cliche but The Cruel Sea remains my favorite WW2 film. I had seen it countless times but it was only last year I realised what fine acting and directing there really was there. Next time you watch it, and that terrible moment comes when they drop the depth charges over the men in the water - watch the men on deck as they glance up to the skies rather than down at the water when the charges explode. It only recently struck me what they would be seeing up there. I had of course realised what had happened in the water.

Dave

TailUK

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 09:16:45 am »

thanks for that Tailuk.
it intrigued me as to why she would be carrying vehicles, when obviously this would be one of the last shots they would take of her when filminh..the ones of her blowing up were of a model.......but that also intrigues me........as they actually built a model to blow up, of the Salem..........and not the Graf Spee.........I suppose that was one of the bits of continuity that they didn't reckon anoraks like me would pick up on........I really should get a life %% %% %% %%

another bit of a blunder really........but I shouldn't pick faults as it is one of my favorite films.............!

It might not  have necessarily been the last shot of her, it could have been the first.  Second Units very often film out of sequence making allowences for availability of the subject or weather.  Subsequent shots taken during the voyage may have preceded that first shot in the film.
The model shots may also have been filmed in Malta as at the time one of the biggest film water tanks was there.  The model shots for "Raise the Titanic" were filmed there.  Lew Grade's famous quote was that "it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!"  In this vein it's interesting to know that the model of Titanic built for the film was insured  for more than the original ship.

nhp651

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 12:36:03 pm »

thanks for that....very interesting and illuminating...............shows I know naff all about film making. %% %% {:-{ {:-{ {:-{
cheers, neil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.