Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sun 21  (Read 2915 times)

triumphjon

sun 21
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:15:45 pm »

ive recently purchased a second hand kingston mouldings sun tug that has lots of build faults , ive now started on a complete refit , im keeping the supplied motor / gear box ( pitman with 5.9 : 1 box installed ) but have shortened the prop shaft , moved the motor further aft and have made a kort nozzel to replace the rudder , i shall also fit a small raboesch bow thruster , what im looking for is a towing hook that will not bend / fall apart when i put a load onto it ? the five towing bollards mounted through the deck are now made from brass tubing glassed into the hull & resin filled ! is there a recomended supplier for the main hook or do i need to fabricate my own ?  jon

LarryW

Re: sun 21
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 04:33:45 pm »

HI JON ,  was at WEYMOUTH the weekend to bye some bits and bobs from mobile marine models, they had some tow hooks on display looked
 quite good , give them a try......LARRY...

triumphjon

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:04:04 am »

having looked online , the only one they show as looking remotly similar is tha05 , im looking to spread the load of tow through the main hull by glassing the hook support to the hull  !  i know with my modifications it wont be strictly true to its original build ! i will endevour to post some photos later

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:34:29 pm »

Why spoil  this boat by fitting a bow thruster?
It was never fitted with one originally. it loads more fun and more of a challenge to sail her without one.
bow thrusters make things "too easy" [ha ha].

I find sailing mine means you need to think at least  2 minutes ahead of where the boat actually is and then adjust speed and rudder accordingly beforehand.

A bit like steering a loopy labrador on a 20ft lead !
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

triumphjon

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:56:04 pm »

why not fit one ? ive also fabricated and fitted a  steerable zort nozzle in place of the rudder !

im still undecided as to weather to replace the rear mast with a small hiab crane ?

brianB6

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 11:47:47 pm »

Sun 25 was converted to a kort rudder later in life so that is more appropriate.

triumphjon

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 07:24:12 am »

at least thats one bit thats inkeeping ! 21 was fitted with a hiab in place of the rear mast , but also appears to have "lost " her tender . i see she was also renamed NICKY  and wears a completly different colour scheme in 1993 ,

farrow

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 09:23:56 pm »

I always thought after the very successful trials after conversion of Sun 25, the owners declared all the others would be converted. That was what my father told me and he was a chief engineer in the firm at the time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.