Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hobby Engine 'Life at the Extreme' Volvo Open 70 Class Yacht  (Read 3998 times)

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer

Starting this thread to find out if anyone has first hand knowledge of this boat. I like scale models, especially when they are RC and functional, so this model caught my attention. When I first learned of the boat I couldn't find any decent pictures of it or very much detail on the boat.

On another forum, a fellow considering gettting into RC Sailing asked about it, which rasied my interest again. I did some more investigating and the information I have found thus far is containted in this posting.

I started this thread to provide the information I had on it, and in the hope that other forum members could add to that, and in doing so provide some good base line information on what appears to be a pretty nice RC Yacht. I have a link of a review I found that was published back in 2009 which had some decent photos within the review. Chap was not an advanced sailor, but the info was helpful.

The price of this boat is all over the map - from a high $493.42 USD (excluding tax) plus shipping to another supplier at $306.85 or £192.99 (no idea on shipping costs) to the one I found on a closed E-bay action with the winning bid of :$121.90 USD (£88.00) +shipping out of the UK. Quite a range of prices. I think the E-bay bid was a lucky deal for the guy that got it.  The link to the review is http://www.modelboats.co.uk/news/article.asp?a=5277

Your comments, insights and any first hand knowledge on this boat would be very helpful. These boats have been around for a while now, but they don't seem to have made the voyage across the pond to the the US in any volume. Any information is appreciated.
Thank you
Windchaser

Here are the boat's specifications as listed on several dealers web sites:
2 Channel Digital Proportional Radio Included
High Quality Fibreglass hull
High Torque Sail Winch Servo
Changeable Crystals
All Metal Accessories
Racing Sail Boat Design
Adjustable side stabilisers
Length: 960mm =37.7952756 inches
Height: 1550mm
Weight: 3050g
Sail Area: 4100 cm2

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Hobby Engine 'Life at the Extreme' Volvo Open 70 Class Yacht
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 05:19:32 pm »

Don't bother
I have the sister 'Killer Whales'
It sails on it's side as soon as there is any wind.
Mines going on EBay at 99P

Ned

PS I have a Victoria modified to the Canadian standards and sails like a dream
Cheaper too :-)) :-))

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:06:43 pm »

Ned's got to be correct. Look: the water's like a millpond, and the boat's not far off 45 degrees!

Over-canvassed, and would a longer fin help?

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Dekan

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:31:14 am »

Don't bother Boomer, a club mate has one.. He has tried just about everything to get it to sail "upright"including a longer keel blade with more weight ..It's a piece of cr*p.. :((

His other yachts sails well...

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 12:21:54 am »

I posted a similar inquiry on rcgroups.com and what we found out was first these guys must have sold about 4 of these thing worldwide. I found one guy who had one but had not sailed - we found a video on Youtube that provides a very telling tale of how bad this boat really is.

The same companies build other boats of the same caliber- Over priced pool toys.

Windchaser
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.