Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chit "Chatham"  (Read 1388 times)

bobk

Chit "Chatham"
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:28:54 pm »

Has anyone been to the Chatham Dockyard exhibition?  I really want to see some of the wealth of shipwrights models that used to be housed at the IWM in Lambath, now almost all replaced by historic dioramas mainly aimed for school visits.  I am told that many of the IWM ships were moved to Chatham, but the website gives no helpful information as to whether they are on display or just crated up in storage.

Bob

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Chit "Chatham"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:30:36 pm »

The best person is Ron Dean he was talking about the dockyard models at wicksteed :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:51:31 pm »

The models are being progressively transferred to Chatham. I did a report for Model Boats last year on the subject. However they are not on public display (except for a representative selection) and you need to make an appointment if you wish to research a particular ship. As part of this initiative, the models in the NMM are being photographed in detail and you can see these images on the NMM website. I am not sure about the IWM models but would imagine that the same applies.

My understanding is that requests to view the models for research purposes need to be made direct to the Chatham Historic Dockyard.

Some of the models that had been transferred initially are shown below.

Colin

bobk

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 08:18:26 pm »

Thank you Colin.   I really wish they had not 'stored away' all those wonderful ships models from Lambath, well worth a week of "camp in the car park" to drool over if still available to the public.  I could not find any of those I remembered so well on the NMM galleries.  The incredible huge Prince Eugen, and of course the 6 ft K Class submarine.  There were also rows of glass cases each with many dozen 1 inch to 100 ft models made for recognition purposes.

Treasure your model warships guys, maybe now the only chance the public has to see such scale ships in action  :}

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.