Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Prop Rotation  (Read 18962 times)

shimsham

Re: Prop Rotation
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 03:37:54 pm »

Ned. Dave was first port of call,and as it was thursday afternoon and hes does not open friday.saturday.sunday i thought the forum was next best bet.

Colin

triumphjon

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 06:10:24 pm »

irrespective of which esc you are using , you will still require the motors to rotate in oposing directions !

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 08:19:38 pm »

hi ya Uncle Albert

I know you are speaking to Dave at ACTion and Dave has asked you to return the P94 as it is suspect.   Can you answer this query though please?

Do you have a power distribution board which supplies the power to your receiver and other electrical equipment - from your main drive battery - or - do you rely solely upon a 4.8 / 6 volt RX battery to supply the juice for your receiver and servos?

Cos, if you are relying solely on a battery to supply the juice for your RX and this battery doesnt have enough UMPH in it - and its down on volts etc., and not charged fully. It may not have the power to pull both relays in on the P94.

The other thing is have you got the P94 set up for tank steering?

aye

john
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

shimsham

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 09:07:55 pm »

Hi John. The main power is from a 12v sc 5000mah racing battery and it does supply the power to the Rx via the dist board,i also have 7.2v 3700mah that that powers the bow thruster

Colin

PS. It is set up for tank steering

ACTion

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2011, 08:37:52 am »

Ken. Yes they are both on one stick

PS. It is set up for tank steering

Make your mind up, Colin - these statements flatly contradict each other. You can't expect any meaningful replies unless you describe your set-up correctly.  Before any more time is wasted on this matter I suggest you have a good look at the instructions again - especially the diagrams which illustrate the different modes of operation -  because either you don't understand what "tank steering" is or you actually have one motor connected to the rudder channel of the receiver.
http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P94.pdf Figs 7 and 9 are the relevant ones.
DM

shimsham

« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2011, 10:11:22 am »

Please bear in mind Dave statements like what you have just posted you should get you information correct first,Bob {shipmate} and myself spent at least 2 hours last night trying different options what the problem could be and tank steering was one of them,also at bobs suggestion we wired the the motors straight from the esc and that did not make any difference,and in your prevoius thread when i contacted you at the waterpark if you knew what the problem was why did you not suggest we pack the gear and go home and contact you again,i get the feeling me putting this problem on the forum as irritated you.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 10:43:18 am »

,i get the feeling me putting this problem on the forum as irritated you.

Very astute  :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 11:05:50 am »

It does sound like your RH prop is not reversing.  Are they controlled by ONE stick ?  In which case the speed controller for it is failing to go backwards.

ken   

Hi Colin

Well you now have our full attention.     %)

A very interesting problem. I was correct with my initial statement, but ill informed of the exact details.

I have several P94's and they are Dave's gift to the boating fraternity. I have just re- read his instructions and this problem could be analysed in 5 mins by someone with a meter.

His primary statement starts at " When going forward, both Led's are RED".  I believe you stated the starboard motor Led was green.  A good starting point methinks.

Keep us informed of any other clues.   ;)

Regards

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

triumphjon

« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2011, 11:15:47 am »

colin , any chance of posting some pictures of how your model is set up ?  it sounds like its a simple fault if only we could see the wiring ! as a tempory measure do you have an old wiper board controller that can be substituted for the esc / mixing unit ?

shimsham

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2011, 12:12:30 pm »

Jon. All the wiring was done to Actions diagram as it is at the moment its virtually all dismantled after a session with a great and helpful guy on this forum [Bob] we tried all combinations with wiring with changing the wires on the motors that did not eradicate it
Been told by a guy at the club that it could be  "wait for it " it could be the radio,i can lay the cables down in the hull to show how i had got it wired if that will help but i am sure if bob chips in to this it might clear one or two points up
I know i am still a novice builder but you have got to have someone to turn to in distress and bob has been very good to me with his abundance of knowledge which i am grateful for.

ACTion

« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2011, 12:35:33 pm »

Colin

Your call on Thursday was concerned solely with reversing the direction of rotation of a propeller (as per the title of this thread). During that call you told me that both props are identical; now it seems that they are handed. It wasn't until I read this thread that it transpires the problem may be elsewhere - and yes, I do get irritated when folk use this Forum to post just enough information to cast doubts over a product but not enough to identify the problem.

This unit supports tank steering, so use that facility to test it for correct operation of forward/reverse.

Connect the two Rx leads marked T and S to the Throttle and Elevator channels of the receiver. These correspond to the vertical movement of each Tx stick. Set the Mode switches on P94 both to ON and switch the system on. Move the throttle stick forwards and backwards and one motor should run and change direction as you pass through neutral stick (and the corresponding LED on the fuseboard will change colour). Now move the other stick and see if the other motor does the same.

If either motor fails to reverse then there is a fault with the P94. This will involve replacing either the switching transistor or the relay on one output, and will require the unit to be send back to ACTion.

If both motors work correctly then there is no fault with the P94. Either you have made an error in your connections or there is a problem with the radio.

DM

mersey dave

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 12:43:11 pm »

Hi Colin, this might sound a daft question but here goes, You say you are using the p94 which i use myself now you have two leads that go from the p94 to your RX one goes to throttle and the other goes to the rudder channel then you plug your rudder servo into the p94 . Now the thing is on most setups channel one on your Rx is the rudder but on the planet rx this is the throttle have you checked that these are in the right place, just a thought.

Regards Dave.

shimsham

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 01:10:01 pm »

Dave. Bob and myself went through that last night you name we did it.

shimsham

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 01:19:36 pm »

Colin

Your call on Thursday was concerned solely with reversing the direction of rotation of a propeller (as per the title of this thread). During that call you told me that both props are identical; now it seems that they are handed. It wasn't until I read this thread that it transpires the problem may be elsewhere - and yes, I do get irritated when folk use this Forum to post just enough information to cast doubts over a product but not enough to identify the problem.

This unit supports tank steering, so use that facility to test it for correct operation of forward/reverse.

Connect the two Rx leads marked T and S to the Throttle and Elevator channels of the receiver. These correspond to the vertical movement of each Tx stick. Set the Mode switches on P94 both to ON and switch the system on. Move the throttle stick forwards and backwards and one motor should run and change direction as you pass through neutral stick (and the corresponding LED on the fuseboard will change colour). Now move the other stick and see if the other motor does the same.

If either motor fails to reverse then there is a fault with the P94. This will involve replacing either the switching transistor or the relay on one output, and will require the unit to be send back to ACTion.

If both motors work correctly then there is no fault with the P94. Either you have made an error in your connections or there is a problem with the radio.

DM

Dave. I am trying my hardest to tell you that bob and myself have done all what you say,there is only  1-2 that will work the throttle and rudder in that order,i also went through it with Jerome @ SHG bob and myself done the tank steering contrary to what you might think i do KNOW what switches 1-2 are for inside the esc i have got a folder almost half full which i can go back to revise, moderated

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 02:49:52 pm »

Are the pos and neg wires from the P102 and the P94 wired correctly ?

shimsham

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 02:50:28 pm »

Planet

shimsham

« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2011, 02:59:39 pm »

Are the pos and neg wires from the P102 and the P94 wired correctly ?

I do beleive the top ones may be incorrect,think they should be the next block above but i think the bottom ones are ok

shimsham

« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2011, 06:28:41 pm »

Taken Today

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 06:20:36 am »

Uncle Albert, DickyD suggested that you change the wiring on one of the motors, yet photo 4 shows the same polarity on each motor. I use a P94 in my Armidale patrol boat, and wired the motors so one rotated left and the other right, simply by swapping the red and black wires on one motor. The red (positive) wire is on the outside terminal of each motor.This works both in forward and reverse. Photo below.

I also notice that Dave suggested you send the P94 unit back to him for testing and/or replacement if you thought it was faulty...have you done that?

Peter.

colin-d

« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 07:00:37 am »

i was just about to say exactly the same as Peter, until i had seen what he had typed...

i also have a P94, and most defiantly look at the photo`s the motors are wired up wrongly... they should be wired up as in peters photo..  :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2011, 08:25:05 am »

Glad someone took notice of what I said.

[Proud owner of two operational P94s.]

shimsham

« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2011, 09:27:03 am »

Peter. Both the motors have had the wiring reversed contary to what some people may think,as i have said in earlier postings that Bob and i spent two hours on Saturday night trying all options,Bob is sending the findings to Action today to see what Dave thinks and possibly then the unit will be sent back for testing,have a look at the diagram on the Action website and i think the wiring is correct,
I also spoke with a very respected guy in the electronics world yesterday who suggested he knew of a guy who had this same problem and problem was changing the servo to another channel.

shimsham

« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2011, 09:29:23 am »

Glad someone took notice of what I said.

[Proud owner of two operational P94s.]

Why dont anybody.  :-)) :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2011, 10:23:13 am »

Peter. Both the motors have had the wiring reversed contary to what some people may think,as i have said in earlier postings that Bob and i spent two hours on Saturday night trying all options,Bob is sending the findings to Action today to see what Dave thinks and possibly then the unit will be sent back for testing,have a look at the diagram on the Action website and i think the wiring is correct,
I also spoke with a very respected guy in the electronics world yesterday who suggested he knew of a guy who had this same problem and problem was changing the servo to another channel.

I didn't say both, I said ONE !!

mersey dave

« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2011, 10:32:52 am »

Hi Colin, Having looked at your photos i have to agree with what has been said in relation to the wiring to the motors. I have had a good look at the way i have connected up mine and it is not the way you have done.
I must add that i have the P94 in my tug and have never been so happy in the way it performs, I WOULD highly recommend this unit to all that i know

Regards Dave.

PS. i am not having a go at you but sometimes we tend to overlook the obvious.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 23 queries.