Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: possibilities  (Read 24857 times)

sub john

Re: possibilities
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 05:21:55 pm »

hi mike the only futtage at the moment is the link for utube      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7ActoYN3SE&feature=feedlik       

MikeA

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 08:30:26 pm »

holy s#!t thats awesome :o

sub john

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 10:25:25 pm »

HI MAD MIKE
 Glad you liked it on you tube sub was made over 20 years ago just gone through refit of electronics
   JohnG7SCL

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 06:01:01 am »

Very nice. Looks a bit of a back breaker mind you!

Aerial length and placement seems to be a thorny issue with regards to model submarines. I've yet to see a reasoned theory as to best practice. Most I think just copy what has gone before without understanding why things are done such a way.
Some favour running an aerial external to the pressure compartment, keeping the aerial length as as straight as possible. Others loop it round and round on a plastic former, some route them in a strange zig-zag pattern.

sub john

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 04:00:35 pm »

HI Subculture
   Aerial length can be worked out by theory but again aerial has to be in the water at all times not in a water tight box, because now what you have got is a aerial inside a box in air, which now has to go through another change through water the maths don't work. Any aerial that runs in a straight line laying flat has blind spots on the ends of it. The best thing is to turn  it into a loop of like you said a zigzag pattern. But the front-end on a standard RC RX receiver is not tuned to match a aerial under water so no matter what you do it is not going to work the best that it can, its just suck it and see. I am not saying that i know every thing but i have spent many hours designing RF equipment
         JOHN G7SCL

sub john

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2011, 02:59:41 pm »

hi people this is my son with the 12 foot beast after being in the trailor for 17 years

hear is a pic strate from the front of the sub watch the deck cannon !!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2011, 03:18:16 pm »

Putting such a leviathan on a wheeled trolley is a wise move.

sub john

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2011, 03:23:24 pm »

its just to heavy to move 250kg+ so it heavy also i dont think it would fit in a car lol its adout the same size as a transit van in lengh

Patrick Henry

« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2011, 04:41:08 pm »

Honest...it's massive, isn't it? If you put that in our lake the water would all get out...and you want to put that in the pool at Brighton Show next year?

(memo to Brighton Centre admin staff....gonna need a bigger pool)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2011, 04:51:10 pm »

Be alright at Brockwell Lido. Alistairs big 8 ft Alfa gets a bit lost in there, so a 12 footer will be fine.

MikeA

« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2011, 06:07:01 pm »

does the deck cannon move?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2011, 06:55:55 pm »

I seem to remember seeing this Sub at the Model engineer exhibition at Olympia.... MANY years ago, I'm sure i recognise the trolley!

hi people this is my son with the 12 foot beast after being in the trailer for 17 years

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sub john

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2011, 09:24:41 pm »

reply #60#61

HI Martin admin
      Submarine was at Olympia London in 1993 took gold medal in marine class C1 thanks for showing interest Martin believe it or not i was going to saw it up and throw it down the tip but would have been ashame  went into flying planes big time, but have now come back to subs been designing loads of electronics for the beast some body said to me a few months ago the electronics in the sub must be out of date but a cannot see people doing some of the things i did with this many years ago, but i said to the guy because the sub has stood still in the it does not mean i have i don't think he new what i meant

Mad Mike
  yes deck cannon on deck does turn but also fires blanks the torpedoes that was going to go in it where a foot long  where armed but thought it was not a good idea to put in sub as they did make quite a BANG all firring of torpedoes where shown on L.E.D. display on TX telling you which torpedo Head left the tube transmitter is 90 channels PPM code still don't no of anybody making 90 channel TX unit

john g7scl

MikeA

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2011, 09:36:18 pm »

youl have to put some sailing footage on you tube. If you are making any progress on this sub can you post it on here. makes great reading material. what are you going to do with it?

sub john

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2011, 06:46:36 pm »

reply #63 HI Mad Mike
   When Richard gets his act together he is going to put video footage of the sub on the water on you tube should be interesting to see what you think plus he has got loads of pictures that i sent him, one of the things i should have said before is that Nick Burge made the deck cannon for me many years ago, i thought Nick was a nice guy as just before i finished the sub Nick Burge and Bernie Wood came to see the sub before i when to model exhibition. On with so many electronic projects at the moment playing with low frequency video link for sending back real time video from under water seem to have that working now need to get on screen display unit inside sub this will overlay compass headings, battery voltages temp depth of sub, on to video picture coming back you said Mike what am i going to do with it I'm going out on patrol looking for targets anything that moves gets it only joking
    all the best John

MikeA

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2011, 07:46:38 pm »

this is just sounds so awesome. I habent built a sub yet i wanted to have a go at building an rov so i can explore the bottom of the pond. Apprently theres a double decker bus innit and some buildings  :o but theres not much point if i cant get a video link. I was thinking of all kinds ways it could be done so i posted this link of possibilities and what ifs. looks like you have results so its all exciting (to me anyway) :D

Patrick Henry

« Reply #66 on: July 27, 2011, 07:50:59 pm »

As soon as I get five minutes John, I'll pop over to the library and get all the pictures scanned and copied and posted up on the AMS forum, and also on here if Martin doesn't object?

I'll also see what can be done with that video footage, I'll need to chop it about into YouTube sized portions, and upload it in several sections.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2011, 07:57:58 pm »

Hi John,

Was there a magazine article about it once?

Can you tell us more about her?

HI Martin admin
      Submarine was at Olympia London in 1993 took gold medal in marine class C1 thanks for showing interest Martin believe it or not i was going to saw it up and throw it down the tip but would have been ashame  went into flying planes big time, but have now come back to subs been designing loads of electronics for the beast some body said to me a few months ago the electronics in the sub must be out of date but a cannot see people doing some of the things i did with this many years ago, but i said to the guy because the sub has stood still in the it does not mean i have i don't think he new what i meant

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patrick Henry

« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2011, 08:00:17 pm »

Indeed there was Martin, two in fact...I have both magazines here, I'll scan and post the articles if that's ok with you?

sub john

« Reply #69 on: July 27, 2011, 09:32:42 pm »

this is a pic of the 12foot sub the first time we tryed it at charnwood waters     the man on the pic is a old friend derek

sub john

« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2011, 09:39:12 pm »

also here is a nice pic of the deck canon that nick burge made for me

Patrick Henry

« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »

Nice pics...well done, John!

MikeA

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2011, 12:27:24 am »

is it possible to link the antenna of the transmitter to the antenna of the receiever with a long but thin wire? will it work for deep diving? I though that maybe if i put all the radio gear in the sub as normal then trailing a long lead behind it to the transmitter to send the rf signals down.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2011, 11:41:53 am »

That sounds like an umbilical to me- don't need to bother with RF if you have wire running to it. Just jack straight off your trainer/buddy box, and use a micro controller to interpret the ppm signal at the other end.

sub john

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2011, 03:58:16 pm »

hear is pics of the 1ft turpedo that are fully working and go with a big bang on impact lol i never goot round to having the time to put them in the sub but they are going in now lol !

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.