Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKES AND DISLIKES  (Read 3711 times)

nhp651

LIKES AND DISLIKES
« on: July 16, 2011, 10:20:43 am »

It now seams that the minority of the democracy on this forum have now ruled the roost and because of their complaints, the topic of Stuffed animals" has been removed.......

even my kids, who love animals, had a little whimsical giggle about it, so please don't pull that one that it would upset children....they now grow up in a much harsher world that we used to.

What saddens me is that a forum can now be changed by a very small number of members, which then becomes an autocratic and dictatorial state.

What happens if a band of half a dozen of us now demand that because we find the noise or the speed of fast electric boat/ICE boats are an offence to our hobby...or formula 1 or motorcycles, or anything that someone finds offencive to their own thoughts......will all these posts be removed.

It saddens me that just because a few people found something NOT TO THEIR OWN TASTES..........the topic has been removed.

I don't like Marble Head and IOM yachts, I find them intollerably offencive when they crash into my scale boats, but I wouldn't want topics on them banning from a forum.

lets have a little common sense in the moderation of topics on here, and what ever your vies, LIVE IN HARMONY.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: LIKES AND DISLIKES
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:19:01 am »

Neil, it's not for the members to decide what they do or don't want. It's Martin's Forum and he can run it any way he likes. The members then have the option to go elswhere if they prefer a different ambiance.

If somebody started up a topic on stuffed animals on the Model Boats Forum (don't you dare!) then I would pull it simply because it isn't what we are about, whether or not it is funny would be irrelevant.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 11:43:06 am »

Maybe Martin should ban all non boat related posts like you Colin then this forum could be as quiet as yours, there was three of us on there just now. {-)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:26:39 pm »

Neil, it's not for the members to decide what they do or don't want. It's Martin's Forum and he can run it any way he likes. The members then have the option to go elswhere if they prefer a different ambiance.

If somebody started up a topic on stuffed animals on the Model Boats Forum (don't you dare!) then I would pull it simply because it isn't what we are about, whether or not it is funny would be irrelevant.

Colin

i wouldn't dare, colin......paul freshney would ban me  for life, lol

however, on this occassion it seams like martin did bow to the pressure of a minority who kept asking for it to be removed, and what will be next to be removed..............

Or was it another moderater who removed it, and if so, for what reason......after all it was in the Chit Chat section where all sorts of topics can and are discussed. <:( <:( <:( <:(

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:42:15 pm »

I must admit it does seem a shame that the minority do seem to rule this forum, I can remember when we used to talk about building boats with no fear of being scrutinised for missing a rivet.... :((

I certainly don't post my builds as much because there seems to be less people interested in the boats because they are more concerned with the "banter" threads..

Russ

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 12:55:27 pm »

i must admit that i have lost interest lately due to a lot of the post now seem to be either moaning about something unimportant or being very picky.
there seems to be a general lack of a. sense of humour and b. tolerance on the forum nowadays.

if you don't like something on a post then shrug your shoulders and don't look at it again.

maybe with my medical history i have a warped view of the world now but lifes just too short. if something on the forum offends you go and do some boat building

phil

wibplus

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 01:00:02 pm »

I take it that I am amongst the "minority" that "demanded" the topic be removed... Not so.

I expressed my agreement with the opinion that the topic was, to me, disagreeable and not funny nor humorous as it was suggested by the OP. I do not think at any stage that I demanded that it be removed and I don't think I have the right to demand anything on this forum.
The topic was requested to be removed. Whether or not the request was heeded is entirely up to Martin or the moderators.

When the OP stated that we chose to look at it, he was, in fact representing the topic as funny and I fully expected something lighthearted or funny. Not something grotesque.

I also disagree with the statement that a minority seem to rule the forum. Anyone may post objections or an opinion on any topic without "ruling" what goes on in the forum.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 01:30:33 pm »

CHIT CHAT
'Almost anything you like in here'

Says it all

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

nhp651

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 01:54:42 pm »

I take it that I am amongst the "minority" that "demanded" the topic be removed... Not so.

I think you should go to speck savers matey........read my comments again.....no where on either of them did I  say "demanded"
you seem to be a little dillusional  in your choice of words,  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

wibplus

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 02:22:41 pm »

Nit picking over the choice of words serves no purpose other than to try to poke fun at the post.
Delusional (even if spelled correctly) is definitely a wrong choice of wording.   {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 02:29:57 pm »

Oh, for gawd's sake...isn't there more to life than moaning and bitching? The cure is so simple...every computer has a button marked "off......"

fatcat123

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 02:39:37 pm »

It now seams that the minority of the democracy on this forum have now ruled the roost and because of their complaints, the topic of Stuffed animals" has been removed.......

even my kids, who love animals, had a little whimsical giggle about it, so please don't pull that one that it would upset children....they now grow up in a much harsher world that we used to.

What saddens me is that a forum can now be changed by a very small number of members, which then becomes an autocratic and dictatorial state.

What happens if a band of half a dozen of us now demand that because we find the noise or the speed of fast electric boat/ICE boats are an offence to our hobby...or formula 1 or motorcycles, or anything that someone finds offencive to their own thoughts......will all these posts be removed.

It saddens me that just because a few people found something NOT TO THEIR OWN TASTES..........the topic has been removed.

I don't like Marble Head and IOM yachts, I find them intollerably offencive when they crash into my scale boats, but I wouldn't want topics on them banning from a forum.

lets have a little common sense in the moderation of topics on here, and what ever your vies, LIVE IN HARMONY.

Well said Neil and thank you for the support.

Dan

Spook

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 03:02:50 pm »

Being a relative newbie to the forum and not posting regularly other than build updates, I suppose I'm not really qualified to comment on this issue. However, all I'll say is this - I looked at the thread, didin't like what I saw and didn't look again. I am blessed with the freedom to choose and, rather than complain, chose to ignore it. *simples*

fatcat123

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 03:04:11 pm »

Being a relative newbie to the forum and not posting regularly other than build updates, I suppose I'm not really qualified to comment on this issue. However, all I'll say is this - I looked at the thread, didin't like what I saw and didn't look again. I am blessed with the freedom to choose and, rather than complain, chose to ignore it. *simples*

Thats all it takes, and was my point right from the start.

Let the moaners moan...

:-))

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 03:54:36 pm »

Please be aware that Martin cannot be on here 24/7 so the moderators are given his delegated powers to ensure that the ethos of Mayhem is adhered to.
I did not see the particular thread, but it is not important, as we all assume collective responsibility.
To put it quite simply it was removed as it was not seen as compatible with the Mayhem ethos, simple.
It does not have any bearing on the number or lack of number of complaints. It is the opinion of the moderator.
There is of course an appeal to Martin option and he can overrule any moderation.
So sorry to correct your theory with facts, the minority do not rule this forum, only 1 person does and that is Martin with delegated authority to all the moderators.
We receive lots of reported posts for 1 reason or another, the post is looked at and if any action is warranted it is taken.
Each "report to moderator" is treated individually so who reported it has no bearing on the final decision.

I am not here to defend the actions of the moderating team just letting you know how it works.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

nhp651

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 04:01:23 pm »

Please be aware that Martin cannot be on here 24/7 so the moderators are given his delegated powers to ensure that the ethos of Mayhem is adhered to.
I did not see the particular thread, but it is not important, as we all assume collective responsibility.
To put it quite simply it was removed as it was not seen as compatible with the Mayhem ethos, simple.
It does not have any bearing on the number or lack of number of complaints. It is the opinion of the moderator.
There is of course an appeal to Martin option and he can overrule any moderation.
So sorry to correct your theory with facts, the minority do not rule this forum, only 1 person does and that is Martin with delegated authority to all the moderators.
We receive lots of reported posts for 1 reason or another, the post is looked at and if any action is warranted it is taken.
Each "report to moderator" is treated individually so who reported it has no bearing on the final decision.

I am not here to defend the actions of the moderating team just letting you know how it works.

Bob
I have no problems with that at all, bob.

I only have a problem with the fact that there have been far more distasteful matters on mayhem that have not been removed in the past.

as for spellings.that is to me more distasteful than anything that a person such as myself can be dyslexic, and someone such as Wibplus can poke fun at it without being moderated...works both ways......now, that I FIND OFFENSIVE.
NEIL.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 04:08:35 pm »

Although I find some postings within "chit chat" disagreeable I don't recall ever feeling the need to continue stoking a smouldering fire. If you feel "offended" by a post then I suggest you just ignore it and in all probability it'll just die quickly of natural causes (i.e. disinterest). A happy solution that can be guaranteed to upset the "person" who decided that his/her concerns would be of interest to the world.
Now if the subject was model ships and I disagreed then I might, just might, dive in. Cheers. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

wibplus

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 04:15:28 pm »

I have no problems with that at all, bob.

I only have a problem with the fact that there have been far more distasteful matters on mayhem that have not been removed in the past.

as for spellings.that is to me more distasteful than anything that a person such as myself can be dyslexic, and someone such as Wibplus can poke fun at it without being moderated...works both ways......now, that I FIND OFFENSIVE.
NEIL.

It seems I have offended you (not knowing that you are dyslexic) and for that I sincerely apologize unreservedly. I have no means of knowing your situation.
Just remember, please, who was making fun of someone first.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 04:27:50 pm »

Might not be a bad idea to remove the 'chit chat' section completely...

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 04:56:36 pm »

Dear U33,

I do hope not. There are too many good people on Mayhem who are very well meaning.

Ok, there are ructions sometimes, inevitable, but all is done and dusted one way and another. My experience with Mayhem, my small experience, makes clear that as long as one stays within the bounds of reason all is well... yes, I have come close to falling foul, but, then, it was all 'sorted' very quickly.

I haven't read this Thread, nor do I know what it is all about, so I suppose it could be said that I would be best to mind my own business. All I can say, however, is, that maybe letting things rest is probably the best solution.

Regards, Bernard

The long Build

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 05:26:56 pm »

So True, I had a look found no issue with it, not that bothered about it and moved on..  if someone does not like the thread there is the Report to moddy button which surprisingly means report that post to a mod, rather than posting on the actual thread that you do not like it and so then drawing more attention to it.. School playground springs to mind..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.