Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: RMS MAURETANIA (RESTORE) REBUILD  (Read 28566 times)

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
RMS MAURETANIA (RESTORE) REBUILD
« on: July 17, 2011, 11:11:05 am »

THE RMS MAURETANIA  hi all, i was approached a few weeks ago to restore this model of the Cunard Mauritania, the model has been in the Mauritania public house since it was opened in the mid sixties, the model was built by the late bob anderson, model maker for swanhunter shipyards for many years, he was a member of tynemouth model boat club till the late seventies, the model was donated to Scottish Newcastle breweries by Swanhunters and has took pride and place in the pub for many years, i remember seeing the model in the pub in the sixties and always admired it, but it was sadly damaged by vandals, the pub reopens shortly under new management,  who approached me to restore the model back to its former glory, as you can see by the pics, its in a sorry state, the brass props were removed and replaced with plastic ones, theres some hull damage on starboard side, nearly all of the rigging is missing, both masts to be replaced, many handrails are missing, also 75% of the decks are marked and stained, all the funnels are loose and in need of repair, they are only in place to show theship at the moment and are now removed,  enough of the sorry stuff, so I'm ready to start the restore of this once fine model, any tips, hints, or positive information would be most welcome, regards brian_c

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RMS MAURETANIA (RESTORE) REBUILD
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 11:15:28 am »

HERES SOME MORE PICS OF THE STATE OF THE MODEL AT THE MOMENT

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 11:24:44 am »

hi there my mate Brian

by I can see what you were saying on the phone last night - you do have your hands full - but my immediate thoughts are:

You are going to have to refurbish this in the exact same modelling style and skill as Bob Anderson - you are going to have to learn his modelling styles to do this justice.  I see what you mean by the paints - you are obviously going to have to strip it right back down to the bare timbers and I would copy the way he has done the portholes not glazing as you suggested last night and those railings look like you are going to have to manufacture them yourself.

Mind, any information given must be rewarded by Newcastle Breweries by free beer - we know they are watching your restoration :-)

Good luck with it mate - and no trying to fit motors in it.

aye
john 

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:25:34 am »

heres the last few pics of her

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:36:16 am »

hi john,  its a good learning curve for me doing this restore as you know, im busy building mauretania at 96th scale aswell, she to will be appearing on the forum soon as a build, but your right, its more research in the tyne&wear museums (again)for me, O0

More Coffee

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 12:10:00 pm »

Nice model.

On the bright side there looks to be enough left to reproduce what was there.Most of the stains are probably just nicotine and fly poo. Any luck a guy may be able to swab the decks with a little mild detergent and a stiff paint brush.

Best of luck with this one ,looks to be a real gem in the rough.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 07:18:29 pm »

Best of luck with the restoration, a really worthwhile job.

Colin

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:41:49 pm »

That looks a huge undertaking, but she deserves to look her best.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 11:57:53 pm »

Brian, you do have a job in front of you.

I don't know if they will be of any assistance, but here are photos I took on board the QE2 of two models of the Mauretania on display on that ship. One model was about 6 or 7 feet long, but the big one was at least 15 feet long.

Peter.

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 08:02:36 am »

hi colin more coffee and peter, thanks for your comments and pics, i started yesterday by shaking the model upside down onto a white sheet and collected many loose bits , im going to start cleaning a section of the deck to see how it comes up with a mild cleaning fluid, regards bri :-))

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 09:23:50 pm »

ive just done a test clean with just a warm damp cloth and it removed most of the stains  BUT  also took away the printed deck planks  <:( looks like im going to loose the lot when the decks get cleaned, is there any screen print deck planking available anywhere, or i may have to strip parts of superstructer away to draw the decks back on, any ideas  out there  {:-{  regards bri

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 09:52:12 pm »

Hello, seeing as you may lose the decks you may like to try Bristol Board, you can get it in a lovely light brown/beige colour, scribe the lines on & stick it down. As the vessel is not going in the water  it will work out fine. Nemesis

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 09:56:41 pm »

thanks for that bill, who,s the stockists  :-))

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 10:25:20 pm »

Hi Bri, Any good art & craft shop. Bill

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 08:38:26 pm »

progress so far is stripping down the decks one at a time and lots of pics as to where all the (bits) all go back, some will have to be made and some replaced,     lots of fine details to repaint back in, all the decks so far can be repainted and planking etched back on,  all handrails will be lost,  spoke to jim lane and replacements are being sorted,

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 08:53:06 pm »

as you can see the whole model is in a sad state but getting there,   as you can see, the rear deck is made up in many pieces but can be restored, also when taking the decks apart, under one of the decks is bobs name and when he built the model and states shipwright 1908, the funnels are tinplate and just need stripping and repainted with new brass fittings made for them,

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 09:02:52 pm »

last to pics of the model showing the state shes in, :((   after spending two weeks looking and stripping the decks down (carefully) it wont be to long before im putting things back together,   once all decks are removed its time to strip the hull down and a repaint,  it all sounds so easy (not) {:-{

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 11:04:49 pm »

Now that looks a Labor of Love Brian.
She certainly needed a bit more than TLC, but she deserves to live in all her built splendour, she looked like she was a superb model.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

pugwash

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »

Brian you certainly have your work cut out.  I wish you the best of luck with the rebuild

Geoff

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 03:16:25 pm »

You enthusiasm is catching, Brian. You're doing a splendid job. It will be lovely on the way back up.  :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 07:23:59 pm »

hi ken, many thanks for that, ive been stripping more main decks away from boat deck to main deck and hit a few snags along the way but getting there, it will be a pleasure when i start fitting all the decks again complete with new handrails , vents and winches  :-))

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 11:41:15 am »

stripping the decks are nearly completed, i had to take all the decks off,  Ive started re planking the decks the same way they were done when the model was built in 1907, painting the decks and using Indian ink for the deck planks then satin lacquer sprayed over,

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 11:48:14 am »

damage to the bows has been repaired and ready for rubbing down and prepare for priming coats

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2011, 11:54:44 am »

more pics of the decks completed and ready for handrails and deck fittings before final assembly

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2011, 12:08:39 pm »

the funnels have been stripped down and ready for priming and repaint, its been a struggle with the decking as it kept blistering  with the acrylic paints and sprays,  they kept reacting against the paints used when built many years ago,  so the decks all had to be stripped down to the bare wood,  but things are looking up and starting to resemble a ship again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.