Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: RMS MAURETANIA (RESTORE) REBUILD  (Read 28570 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: RMS MAURETANIA (RESTORE) REBUILD
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2012, 03:23:07 pm »

Brian bout time you got a move on with that 1:96 bit of scrap - or we might have to get Riggers in to give you a lesson on storage of unfinished models :-) :o :o %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %% %%
That should do it John.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2012, 04:47:08 pm »

A job being very well done Brian  - hope you are getting a swift half or two for your labours

Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2012, 10:27:09 pm »

That should do it John.

Lesson nah mate I've wrote the book on it
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2012, 09:50:19 pm »

just finished davits and lifeboats,,,, more handrails to do next then start the rigging

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2012, 05:09:03 am »

Lovely job Bri. 
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2012, 09:07:32 pm »

Looking at the pictures she looks superb, no wonder the original was described as one of the most beautiful ships of her time.

ATB

• Shipmate
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2012, 09:33:03 pm »

She looks superb! you are doing a great job restoring her :-))

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2012, 09:16:12 am »

hi dicky, dodes &atb   many thanks for your comments,  ive just picked up the glass showcase today and the model should be in and completed before the christmas and back with its owners   :-))

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2012, 07:21:17 pm »

hi all and a merry xmas,  heres the latest pics of mauretania,,, nearly complete, but  HELP AND TIPS REQUIRED. i have tried a couple of ways to make the ratlines & shrouds for the liner but with poor results,,,, the scale is 200th and finding it difficult to reproduce these on the ship, any help or info would be most greatful,,,  regards brian_c   or is there a topic on this subject on the forum :-)) :-)) :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2012, 08:00:36 pm »

Hi Brian I've just read the complete thread - great job you are doing. I love to see restorations.
Dave

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »

many thanks dave,,, pleased you liked the topic and the work  :-)) :-)) :-))   shes 90% complete and nearly ready to be installed in the new glass show case,

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2012, 08:17:38 pm »

I have only found this thread today,congratulations on doing such a great restoration.It looks a completely different ship now.A shame its a static model,it would look great on the water.
A credit to your skills.
Mick F

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2012, 09:04:54 pm »

With regard to the ratlines, Bob Wilson, who contributes to the Model Boats website, has an effective technique which simply makes the ratlines/shrouds from thin stretched wire made up off the model using superglue and then simply glued in place. No problems with knots or tensioning that way.

Colin

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2012, 09:17:56 pm »

hi colin, thats the probs i have,, the tension on the ratlines, trying to leep them even is an absolute nightmare at 200th scale, they keep wandering in and out and look awful, im now on my 4th attempt and they still look rubbish,  at 96th scale or even better, 48th scale, i think i wouldnt have that problem, do you know if bob wilson has any pics of how its done on the forum,   regards brian_c :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2012, 09:44:38 pm »

Brian,

I do have a pic but it is part of a forthcoming article in Model Boats so I can't publish it here although if you'd like to post a query on the Model Boats site I'm sure he would be happy to help.

Basically, his technique is to use a flat 'plank' of wood and secure threaded rod along each side of it. This enables thin tinned copper wire to be stretched across it at equidistant intervals corresponding to the foot rope spacing on the ratlines. Then vertical wires are stretched across this horizontal framework at angles to fit the desired heights and base dimensions appropriate to each mast. The joints are then made using thin flux and solder although I think Fryolux solder paint would posibly be easier although it isn't cheap.

So basically what you do is to make up a jig to the dimensions you need, use tinned wire for the horizontals and verticals, solder it together, trim off the tails with a knife or cutters, paint black and then simply glue to the mast and deck/bulwark fixing points. The result is both strong and stable and will not sag etc.

Hope this helps,

Colin

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2012, 09:56:31 pm »

many thanks colin for that infomation and your explanation on how 2,,,  you didnt say what month the rigging details will be printed in the magazine,
 im hoping to have the model in the showcase within 2weeks and in  place at the white swan hotel in alnwick, which also has most of the mahogany panels and fittings from the r m s olympic, when she came to the tyne for scrapping,,, regards brian_c

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2012, 10:18:29 pm »

A bit too late for you Brian as it will be in the 2013 Special issue for publication next Summer! However, given what you have done already, I'm sure you can evaluate the feasibility of using Bob Wilson's method for Mauretania based on the info I have given.

Using rigid wire does get over a lot of problems associated with thread at very small scales. I have used it very successfully for funnel stays on relatively larger scale models and it looks much better.

Colin

pugwash

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: recently left Amble and now in the wet Northumberland hills
« Reply #92 on: December 28, 2012, 11:56:48 am »

Compliments of the season Brian- only just seen your comments re shrouds as been off-line.
I had to do some complicated aerials between the masts on a previous model so I drew the plan required
and stuck it to 1/2 inch thick balsa using double sided tape and used pins to tension it top and bottom and then
soldered it together or if using  fine thread for shrouds same principle but superglue the thread instead.
Geoff
Failing to prepare means preparing to fail.

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2012, 12:13:14 pm »

hi geoff geoff,,, thanks for the tip, ive already started the way colin has explained, but at 200th scale its not easy,,, all the best for 2013 geoff  :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2012, 10:33:00 pm »

Brian,

I do have a pic but it is part of a forthcoming article in Model Boats so I can't publish it here although if you'd like to post a query on the Model Boats site I'm sure he would be happy to help.

Basically, his technique is to use a flat 'plank' of wood and secure threaded rod along each side of it. This enables thin tinned copper wire to be stretched across it at equidistant intervals corresponding to the foot rope spacing on the ratlines. Then vertical wires are stretched across this horizontal framework at angles to fit the desired heights and base dimensions appropriate to each mast. The joints are then made using thin flux and solder although I think Fryolux solder paint would posibly be easier although it isn't cheap.

So basically what you do is to make up a jig to the dimensions you need, use tinned wire for the horizontals and verticals, solder it together, trim off the tails with a knife or cutters, paint black and then simply glue to the mast and deck/bulwark fixing points. The result is both strong and stable and will not sag etc.

Hope this helps,

Colin   

hi colin, many thanks for your help,  using bob wilsons method was so simple, the front ratlines and shrouds are completed, sprayed and ready to be fitted,, i will post the pics over the weekend when all four of them are on and fitted, its made the job 100% easier and can now give a date when the model can be transported to its final destination, regards brian_c  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Put outside of brackets for you.    ken 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2012, 11:00:46 pm »

That's great Brian, the credit goes to Bob Wilson, I just passed on his method.

Anyway, I'm pleased to have been able to help on this great restoration.

Colin

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2012, 09:57:24 am »

hi all, the ratlines and shrouds are well on their way to being comleted, thanks to colin bishop, heres a few pics of the work

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2012, 01:54:20 pm »

That is really a neat way to go about it.
Dave

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2013, 06:22:15 pm »

hi all, mauretania now nearly complete,  just the flags to go on now,,,,  hope you have all enjoyed the restoration of RMS MAURETANIA

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #99 on: January 12, 2013, 06:25:56 pm »

Brian,
I certainly have enjoyed this restoration.
Well done for such workmanship.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.